- - - - -

USHL back to Rochester?

30 replies to this topic

#21 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, hunting and fishing. Is there much else?

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:03 AM

2500 fan average is about a half million per year loss.

There is a difference between someone who plays hockey, and a Hockey Player. which one are you?

#22 FargoForceFan

Cup Winning Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:18 PM

2500 fan average is about a half million per year loss.

Then that would put them in good company with at least 50% of other teams in the league:

http://ushlstats.sta...&seasonid=12983

Edited by FargoForceFan, 28 July 2015 - 01:27 PM.

webkit-fake-url://FD2354B4-0F4E-4F81-99FA-7B2085159B67/photo.JPG.jpg

#23 Yeti

Go Stars!

• Global Mod
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:10 AM

Bump.

http://www.kttc.com/...-cost-financing

Proposal to demolish Taylor Arena and replace with a 6,200 seat arena leaves questions about the project's cost
Posted: Oct 12, 2015 10:55 PM CDT

Taylor Arena has been a Rochester landmark since 1986, but some say its
time is up.

"Taylor Arena is currently 29 years old, almost 30 years old, said Rochester Convention and Visitors Bureau
executive director Brad Jones. "A lot of the infrastructure in it is quite inadequate."

The Rochester Convention and Visitors Bureau wants to knock it down and build a 4,000 to 6,200 seat arena
in its place.

On Monday, the bureau presented their case to the city council, and said the arena could make downtown a
destination. The plan for the arena has many features, including an amphitheater right here that would
overlook Mayo Park, but city council's greatest concerns were found in the plan's numbers. The cost of the
plan­­ - and the fact the study didn't show how to pay for it all - ­­gave city council members cause for concern.

The cost - ­­$55 to $75 million depending on the arena size­­ - and the lack of a financing plan to come up with
the money left some council members apprehensive about investing, even with Taylor Arena's issues.
"We know that we have a lot of challenges there, it's not a building that meets the needs of most types of
performances today," said city councilman Michael Wojcik. "It's just a matter of if we have $30 million to
spend, is this the place where we need to spend it?"

Developers say if the arena is built, pro sports would be a near certainty to come back to the Med City. A new
United States Hockey League team would likely be the new arena's first tenant, a return to the league for
Rochester since the Mustangs folded in 2002. Rochester native and former NHL player Shjon Podein, who
played for the Mustangs in the mid 1980s, came to advocate for pro hockey's return.

"It would just bring a lot of identity to this place and people would come in and see what we have," said
Podein. "Not just through USHL, but maybe through acts that we can book against bigger venues."

With the questions about the arena's financing still up in the air, a new jewel on the Zumbro still looks to be a
long way away. However, that hasn't stopped Jones from being optimistic about how the project could
change Rochester's entertainment scene.

"Were projecting 120 events a year in the arena and about 35 of those would be hockey," said Jones. "It
would be other sports - ­­basketball, indoor soccer, indoor football­­ - a lot of different things. Then you have
concerts, entertainment, family shows, Disney Ice type shows, all of those type of things."

Jones says he would expect the project to use public funding, but that he "never intended it to be 100
percent publicly financed." The study will now head to the Destination Medical Center board for further
review.

#24 TheShow

Cup Winning Coach

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:30 PM

I guess I'm getting mixed messages.... Is that article saying USHL is pro hockey?

And it amazes me the fact you can't build a structure that lasts 30 years....

#25 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:25 PM

I guess I'm getting mixed messages.... Is that article saying USHL is pro hockey?

And it amazes me the fact you can't build a structure that lasts 30 years....

I caught that too.   The writer doesn't understand what level the USHL is........

I read back in this thread, some solid comments.   Just doesn't seem that jrs will fly in Minnesota.   Would be great for the fans and state though, especially with the USHL profile growing larger each day.   ......All you sharpies, would Major Junior be a fit?

Nice find, Yeti.   Thanks for posting.  

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#26 kwey24

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:42 PM

Major junior in Minnesota?  In what league?

I still don't see Rochester sufficiently supporting a USHL team in terms of fan base.  If you have an owner willing to lose money who just really wants USHL hockey in Rochester, well...  I know Rochester has grown A LOT since the days of the Mustangs and there's a lot of money in Rochester, but a lot of fans just go up to the Twin Cities to watch the Wild or the Gophers and I don't think a USHL team will make a big dent in that.  I'm also not certain that all fans leave the Rochester Ice Hawks for a USHL team.  A lot of the Ice Hawks' regular fans would be priced out of season tickets to a USHL team (most likely).  The Ice Hawks have also moved to the NA3HL and play in an exceptional division. Yeah, the USHL is better than the NA3HL, but this division of the NA3HL will play some strong hockey.  So, factor in some of the strongest Tier III junior hockey, existing loyalties, and the cost factor, I don't think droves of people leave the Ice Hawks.  If droves don't leave the Ice Hawks, and a lot of fans are still going to Xcel and Mariucci, what does that leave for a USHL team?

#27 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:13 AM

WHL?   Just wonder if the fine hockey fans in Minnesota had Major Junior how they couldn't support it. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#28 TheShow

Cup Winning Coach

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:40 AM

WHL?   Just wonder if the fine hockey fans in Minnesota had Major Junior how they couldn't support it. 

Woof.

Brandon is already on enough of an island... You are talking a 10 hour bus to the closest game(Brandon/Rochester)...Prince George/Rochester is about 1700 miles apart...

#29 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:19 AM

Woof.

Brandon is already on enough of an island... You are talking a 10 hour bus to the closest game(Brandon/Rochester)...Prince George/Rochester is about 1700 miles apart...

League map:

https://www.google.c...CFcjzPgod8McNXg

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#30 TheShow

Cup Winning Coach

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:36 PM

Woof.

League map:

https://www.google.c...CFcjzPgod8McNXg

Exactly. Brandon is the only team within 10 hours of Rochester. There's a handful within 10 in the OHL.

Then again, "within 10 hours" doesn't a junior hockey league budget make...

#31 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,123 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

I still don't see Rochester sufficiently supporting a USHL team in terms of fan base.  If you have an owner willing to lose money who just really wants USHL hockey in Rochester, well...  I know Rochester has grown A LOT since the days of the Mustangs and there's a lot of money in Rochester, but a lot of fans just go up to the Twin Cities to watch the Wild or the Gophers and I don't think a USHL team will make a big dent in that.  I'm also not certain that all fans leave the Rochester Ice Hawks for a USHL team.  A lot of the Ice Hawks' regular fans would be priced out of season tickets to a USHL team (most likely).  The Ice Hawks have also moved to the NA3HL and play in an exceptional division. Yeah, the USHL is better than the NA3HL, but this division of the NA3HL will play some strong hockey.  So, factor in some of the strongest Tier III junior hockey, existing loyalties, and the cost factor, I don't think droves of people leave the Ice Hawks.  If droves don't leave the Ice Hawks, and a lot of fans are still going to Xcel and Mariucci, what does that leave for a USHL team?

This was a fun thread to go back and reread........... Kwey, you still feel the same now as when you posted this?  Anything change?

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users