Sign in to follow this  
herbst20

USHL back to Rochester?

kwey24

Major junior in Minnesota? In what league?

I still don't see Rochester sufficiently supporting a USHL team in terms of fan base. If you have an owner willing to lose money who just really wants USHL hockey in Rochester, well... I know Rochester has grown A LOT since the days of the Mustangs and there's a lot of money in Rochester, but a lot of fans just go up to the Twin Cities to watch the Wild or the Gophers and I don't think a USHL team will make a big dent in that. I'm also not certain that all fans leave the Rochester Ice Hawks for a USHL team. A lot of the Ice Hawks' regular fans would be priced out of season tickets to a USHL team (most likely). The Ice Hawks have also moved to the NA3HL and play in an exceptional division. Yeah, the USHL is better than the NA3HL, but this division of the NA3HL will play some strong hockey. So, factor in some of the strongest Tier III junior hockey, existing loyalties, and the cost factor, I don't think droves of people leave the Ice Hawks. If droves don't leave the Ice Hawks, and a lot of fans are still going to Xcel and Mariucci, what does that leave for a USHL team?

Mr Ricochet

WHL? Just wonder if the fine hockey fans in Minnesota had Major Junior how they couldn't support it.

TheShow

WHL? Just wonder if the fine hockey fans in Minnesota had Major Junior how they couldn't support it.

Woof.

Brandon is already on enough of an island... You are talking a 10 hour bus to the closest game(Brandon/Rochester)...Prince George/Rochester is about 1700 miles apart...

Mr Ricochet

Woof.

Brandon is already on enough of an island... You are talking a 10 hour bus to the closest game(Brandon/Rochester)...Prince George/Rochester is about 1700 miles apart...

League map:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=western+hockey+league+map&biw=1280&bih=692&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CBsQsARqFQoTCJuKiNzmycgCFcjzPgod8McNXg

TheShow

Woof.

League map:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=western+hockey+league+map&biw=1280&bih=692&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CBsQsARqFQoTCJuKiNzmycgCFcjzPgod8McNXg

Exactly. Brandon is the only team within 10 hours of Rochester. There's a handful within 10 in the OHL.

Then again, "within 10 hours" doesn't a junior hockey league budget make...

Mr Ricochet

I still don't see Rochester sufficiently supporting a USHL team in terms of fan base. If you have an owner willing to lose money who just really wants USHL hockey in Rochester, well... I know Rochester has grown A LOT since the days of the Mustangs and there's a lot of money in Rochester, but a lot of fans just go up to the Twin Cities to watch the Wild or the Gophers and I don't think a USHL team will make a big dent in that. I'm also not certain that all fans leave the Rochester Ice Hawks for a USHL team. A lot of the Ice Hawks' regular fans would be priced out of season tickets to a USHL team (most likely). The Ice Hawks have also moved to the NA3HL and play in an exceptional division. Yeah, the USHL is better than the NA3HL, but this division of the NA3HL will play some strong hockey. So, factor in some of the strongest Tier III junior hockey, existing loyalties, and the cost factor, I don't think droves of people leave the Ice Hawks. If droves don't leave the Ice Hawks, and a lot of fans are still going to Xcel and Mariucci, what does that leave for a USHL team?

This was a fun thread to go back and reread........... Kwey, you still feel the same now as when you posted this? Anything change?

Mr Ricochet

Nice find, Yeti........ Two yrs ago the a study was funded by the city council this time a more detailed study with The Mayo Clinic being part of paying for it along with Rochester Convention and Visitors Bureau. No doubt this is being taken seriously and there will be enough info for serious people to make a call.

I like the way this process is being conducted.

redwing77

Would Rochester be a new franchise or would an existing franchise relocate there? Assuming, of course, that this becomes a reality.

Mr Ricochet

Would Rochester be a new franchise or would an existing franchise relocate there? Assuming, of course, that this becomes a reality.

Could be either I guess but not sure there are any dark franchises paid up and current. IIRC Indy might have been the last one and they officially dropped their rights a yr ago. I'd also guess the league would like to sell a new franchise fee.

kwey24

What I have heard is that Madison would move to Rochester. That's not from any source deep within the USHL or anything; but, it is from a source still one degree away from the USHL and nothing I've heard from him before has ended up patently false. I'm not rooting for Madison to move to Rochester, I'm just saying that's what I've heard.

I'd be bummed about what a move to Rochester would mean for my old team, the Ice Hawks (they weren't in Rochester when I played). That said, Marshall, Minnesota, has a fantastic new (year old) arena. Part of me thinks the Ice Hawks should just accept the inevitable now and move to Marshall sooner rather than later (I haven't heard of anyone else taking Marshall yet; but, if I'm ignorant on that, anyone can feel free to pass along such info to me).

Maiden

What I have heard is that Madison would move to Rochester. That's not from any source deep within the USHL or anything; but, it is from a source still one degree away from the USHL and nothing I've heard from him before has ended up patently false. I'm not rooting for Madison to move to Rochester, I'm just saying that's what I've heard.

I'd be bummed about what a move to Rochester would mean for my old team, the Ice Hawks (they weren't in Rochester when I played). That said, Marshall, Minnesota, has a fantastic new (year old) arena. Part of me thinks the Ice Hawks should just accept the inevitable now and move to Marshall sooner rather than later (I haven't heard of anyone else taking Marshall yet; but, if I'm ignorant on that, anyone can feel free to pass along such info to me).

That same statement is floating around the UW-Madison campus as well.