Sign in to follow this  
kwey24

Wilkes-Barre Joins NAHL, Does Not Replace Keystone Ice Miners

kwey24

http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=14771

Given some previous discussions about the possibility of Keystone relocating to Wilkes-Barre, figured I should post this news story from yesterday that Wilkes-Barre is indeed joining the NAHL and that it is the purchase of the Dawson Creek franchise.

So, interesting... Not sure I really see an NAHL team succeeding in Wilkes-Barre with the AHL team there already, but this is what's happening. Going from Tier III with a largely tuition-supported budget to Tier II is a significant step (although, did everyone really pay tuition?).

hackshow22

Don't think there will be a shortage of money there. With the proximity to Keystone and Johnstown, it can at least make it feasible for the next 2 years (assuming both teams are around for that length of time). Lewiston, Maine is coming into the league, along with the NJ Titans, so the travel won't be great, but it'll be pretty good with the two PA teams. Not sure where things are at with the Keystone ownership situation, or when that will change/be announced. The team's name/info has been removed from the tryout page, but the logo is still on the website. Have heard they have an owner lined up, but some other things are pending to make the sale final.

Edited by hackshow22

hackshow22

So, I guess Lewiston is out, which is the right move for them to make. Apparently there will be yet another Pennsylvania-based team to compliment Johnstown, Keystone, and Wilkes-Barre. Heard some other rumblings about divisional alignment, and 1-2 more teams may be relocating.