Sign in to follow this  
DM47

College Cost of Tuition Stipened

DM47

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/3663833-stipends-und-more-questions-answers

This is the first I have heard of this passing in the NCAA. Does anyone have more details on what this entails for Athletes looking at going to college? If they are going to pay $2000-$6000 while they are at school how can they hold the $160 a month the CHL pays a player against them for eligibility? I think this is a slippery slope to start on and opens up a lot of questions.

Mr Ricochet

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/3663833-stipends-und-more-questions-answers

This is the first I have heard of this passing in the NCAA. Does anyone have more details on what this entails for Athletes looking at going to college? If they are going to pay $2000-$6000 while they are at school how can they hold the $160 a month the CHL pays a player against them for eligibility? I think this is a slippery slope to start on and opens up a lot of questions.

Nice find, DM. It's been said this will be happening but I didn't expect the "stipend" to be this high.............And I agree with you, how can the NCAA keep Major Junior kids out and allow kids who receive thousands in. I guess they can claim that CHL kids play with pros.

Each NCAA sport is different though. Football and basketball bring in billions whereas the other sorts struggle to break even. ....... I gotta believe the players' threat of unionizing has something to do with this, same as the increase in stipends in the CHL.

DM47

Another question I have is if it ranges from $2000-$6000 is how the amount is decided. I would hope it would be based on grades. You get the scholarship based on your athletics the Stipend should be based on your effort in the class room. Maybe it will be based on what year you are in school which would be understandable. I just don't think it would be right to be based on performance alone.

twolinepass

Another question I have is if it ranges from $2000-$6000 is how the amount is decided. I would hope it would be based on grades. You get the scholarship based on your athletics the Stipend should be based on your effort in the class room. Maybe it will be based on what year you are in school which would be understandable. I just don't think it would be right to be based on performance alone.

assume it will be Need based, like FASFA