Sign in to follow this  
Mr Ricochet

Gotta Ask, Who's Gonna Watch USA v Portugal (World Cup)

Mr Ricochet

Guess I have to admit I'm a football (soccer) fan, but I'm never thrilled to watch the US team from an entertainment perspective. Just not a very exciting brand football IMO. But if they beat Portugal they move on to the next round.

Next big game I have circled is Chile v Netherlands on Monday. Now that should be an exciting style played, great for the fan.

kwey24

I'll be watching USA v Portugal (my son just voted to watch soccer if the NASCAR race isn't over in time). Not sure how many blocks away could hear me cheering from inside my house when Brooks got the header against Ghana. Team USA was getting handled, but they kept working hard and didn't get down when Ghana got the goal they definitely deserved. If Ghana would have put more of their dangerous chances on goal, that could have easily been a 3-1 or 4-1 game... Here's hoping Portugal's red card and injuries play to Team USA's favor today. I do think it's only one or two generations away that USA is elite in soccer, because I think more elite athletes will grow up playing soccer or turn to it. Imagine if the skilled players from football all played soccer... Also, if our demographics change to include more Mexicans and Central Americans, we'll see more of a shift toward soccer for that reason, too. For now, wealthy kids from the suburbs are excelling in soccer, but if soccer gains a foothold in the cities, we'll see the real shift.

Germany v. Ghana was a great game yesterday... It would have been awesome if Iran could have emerged with a tie against Argentina... I'm not pro Iran on a lot, but I do love when underdogs win (nothing against Argentina). I was bummed for Bosnia & Herzigovina yesterday. I don't know how anyone could root against Bosnia, given everything, and have we notable Bosnian populations here in Iowa, particularly in Waterloo but also in the Des Moines area. I did not get to watch all of these two games yesterday, but caught the highlights and recaps.

I haven't followed a World Cup this much since 1994. The main reason is my son plays soccer and, as far as U6 goes, he's pretty good, so I'm encouraging him and we're watching World Cup together. I played soccer some in my youth, but nothing like baseball, or football or basketball, and then later hockey (which became my focus when I was 12). I'd anticipate my son playing soccer through high school and him taking a real interest in soccer. He was rooting for Ghana yesterday, while I was slightly pro Germany (Germany is the elite team that I root for, only because of my heritage...although that's so Heinz 57 that I can pick all sorts of countries...)

Edited by kwey24

Mr Ricochet

I'll be watching USA v Portugal (my son just voted to watch soccer if the NASCAR race isn't over in time). Not sure how many blocks away could hear me cheering from inside my house when Brooks got the header against Ghana. Team USA was getting handled, but they kept working hard and didn't get down when Ghana got the goal they definitely deserved. If Ghana would have put more of their dangerous chances on goal, that could have easily been a 3-1 or 4-1 game... Here's hoping Portugal's red card and injuries play to Team USA's favor today. I do think it's only one or two generations away that USA is elite in soccer, because I think more elite athletes will grow up playing soccer or turn to it. Imagine if the skilled players from football all played soccer... Also, if our demographics change to include more Mexicans and Central Americans, we'll see more of a shift toward soccer for that reason, too. For now, wealthy kids from the suburbs are excelling in soccer, but if soccer gains a foothold in the cities, we'll see the real shift.

Germany v. Ghana was a great game yesterday... It would have been awesome if Iran could have emerged with a tie against Argentina... I'm not pro Iran on a lot, but I do love when underdogs win (nothing against Argentina). I was bummed for Bosnia & Herzigovina yesterday. I don't know how anyone could root against Bosnia, given everything, and have we notable Bosnian populations here in Iowa, particularly in Waterloo but also in the Des Moines area. I did not get to watch all of these two games yesterday, but caught the highlights and recaps.

I haven't followed a World Cup this much since 1994. The main reason is my son plays soccer and, as far as U6 goes, he's pretty good, so I'm encouraging him and we're watching World Cup together. I played soccer some in my youth, but nothing like baseball, or football or basketball, and then later hockey (which became my focus when I was 12). I'd anticipate my son playing soccer through high school and him taking a real interest in soccer. He was rooting for Ghana yesterday, while I was slightly pro Germany (Germany is the elite team that I root for, only because of my heritage...although that's so Heinz 57 that I can pick all sorts of countries...)

Firstly just heard Ronaldo will play today. Bad for the US team but great for the fans, especially the new ones just watching cuz the USA is doing ok. They will see what the very best soccer player in the world looks like and what this sport has to offer. Plus the chicks will dig the guy.......I really liked Portugal 4 years ago, so if they are anything like that they will be a tough out.

Kwey you probably know this but last year if you combine all the Hispanic and black babies born to the white ones, the whites were in the minority. Indeed, 30+ years from now the demographic will have really changed and with the US population probably at 400 mil this country will have a say in future World Cups.

Add that American football is becoming so dangerous to play I think many will choose soccer.

Came home from Steel camp and tuned into the Ghana v Germany tilt, and as you say one helluva game. I too started out rooting for Germany, huge fan of that powerhouse Beyern Munich club, but as the game went on found myself pulling for Ghana. That was until Ghana took the lead and the players did that funk dance, then it was back to rooting for the Krauts. ..... If the US stumbles it will be fun to see Ghana move to the knockout round, think that's how it goes.

You must be a bit younger than me cuz there simply was no soccer to play as a kid in the 70's in the blue collar suburbs of Chicago, only in gym class. My generation grew up thinking it was a sissy sport, me too, until I tuned into the BPL. Some of those games are more physical than Chicago Blackhawk games, and I ain't kiddin..............Been hooked ever since I watched a British Premier League game. So much so I bought a season ticket for one Chicago Fire season.

But for anyone reading and is just starting to watch the sport and are getting a bit bored, some games and styles are slow (like a neutral zone trap), tune in with about 1/2 hour to go. The urgency picks up and the games get really exciting.

With Spain and England already out we already have a bunch of surprises. The Mexico v Brasil game was a beauty too, so we may see a few upsets left. I don't see a clear cut favorite.

And what's with all the love for that bald dude, Bradley. Guy stunk out loud last game.

Anyway, Go USA!!

kwey24

So close to outright advancing and being able to rest Dempsey and some other banged up guys against Germany...

The defensive errors that led to Portugal's goals were unforgivable, but at the start of today I was saying, "If we can only tie Portugal." So, a tie it is, but to come seconds away from winning outright...

Team USA played SO much better against Portugal in terms of ball control and attack than against Ghana. This was a truly great soccer game. What a great way to introduce a lot of Americans to soccer.

I'm just hoping that Team USA can keep it 2-1 against Germany, and then hopefully Portugal beats Ghana 2-1--then, Team USA will advance on goal differential.

Mr Ricochet

Agreed, this was a great game for newcomers to see. The kind of game that will bring people back.

IMO the best thing that happened is the US went down 1-0 early. Forced them to open up and attack, which they ended doing for most of the game. Have watched the national team for maybe 4-5 years and this was by far the best I've seen them play. Didn't know they had this in them, to open up and attack a world class team and exchange chances.

Great game, tough outcome..........

Today Chile v Netherlands at 10:30 should be a beauty.