Sign in to follow this  
Mr Ricochet

Northwestern Football Players Seek To Join Labor Union

Mr Ricochet

This is going to be real interesting.

ESPN/Tom Farrey Link

"Northwestern believes that our student-athletes are not employees and collective bargaining is therefore not the appropriate method to address these concerns," said Jim Phillips, Northwestern vice president of athletics and recreation. "However, we agree that the health and academic issues being raised by our student-athletes and others are important ones that deserve further consideration."

"When Ramogi first reached out to us years ago, we were like an overwhelming part of the population in that we figured athletes were lucky because they're getting an education," United Steelworkers president Leo Gerard said Tuesday. "But then we looked into it and realized it's a myth. Many don't get a true education and their scholarships aren't guaranteed."

"It's become clear that relying on NCAA policymakers won't work, that they are never going to protect college athletes, and you can see that with their actions over the past decade," Huma said. "Look at their position on concussions. They say they have no legal obligation to protect players."

Mr Ricochet

This is going to get really interesting from here on out.

It sure is, and is far from over. .......Maybe it will fall somewhere in the middle like what happened in the attempt unionize the CHL. The attempt failed (for now) but put enough fear into the leagues that "out of the goodness of their hearts" they gave players a larger stipend and a better education package.

If nothing else I'd like to see NCAA athletes be given medical coverage for the rest of their lives due to complications of injuries occurred playing sports for the university and assurances that scholarships will be be honored until a degree is earned.

minor life

I don't think this falls in the middle. Its a court order at this point, and I think it goes to the supreme court eventually so schools can protect that money as long as possible.

Mr Ricochet

I don't think this falls in the middle. Its a court order at this point, and I think it goes to the supreme court eventually so schools can protect that money as long as possible.

Not saying it has fallen into the middle, only that I hope when the dust settles it does. And your damn tootin the schools are gonna protect their money with top CORPORATE lawyers and throw a 100 million lobbying effort at "elected" officials to get some "favorable" legislation passed so as they don't have any worries with those pesky little concussion thingys gettin in the way of a multiple billion dollar industry.

100 million dollars will be mobilized and when that is done running through the "system" we'll have an answer, but that will take awhile.