Sign in to follow this  
Mr Ricochet

USA Mens 2014 Olympic Roster Announced

Mr Ricochet

Howard and Quick? The US better hope Miller doesn't get dinged........

Link

DM47

Link

Do you think Bishop would have been a better choice for the third goalie then Howard? Hopefully Quick can get healthy and in playing shape in time. Any other surprises to you?

Mr Ricochet

Link

Do you think Bishop would have been a better choice for the third goalie then Howard? Hopefully Quick can get healthy and in playing shape in time. Any other surprises to you?

Right now neither Howard or Quick are the best goalies on their own NHL teams. I agree with taking one of them just for their experience as both have extensive NHL playoff experience, and Bishop or even Schneider to round out the position.

Miller starts, gets hurt and Bishop takes the net. If he's shaky then you bring in the experienced guy.

Quick was bad last year and is bad this year. Howard has simply stunk all year long. If Miller gets injured this team will be blown out.

Goodyear9919

Agree on all points. This move makes more sense if Quick and Howard are both healthy and not coming off injuries. Both have playoff experience. With a healthy Miller, this team could make a deep run to gold medal game. He has been lights out for a very, very bad (young) Sabres team. They are losing games 2-1 and 1-0. Don't know how you dont drop one of them and bring in Bishop to try and ride his hot hand.....

Suprised to see Yandle left off roster, slower skater and I understand their reasoning, but he is a 1st unit PP guy and special teams can win or lose you big games.

pond

No Bobby Ryan? or Okposo?

agree Bishop at 6'7" and top American goalie this season should be there

Goodyear9919

Watched Okposo play the Hawks last night. He deserved to get picked.

Not sure if I heard correctly, but no American has more points in calendar 2013 than him, besides Kane.......

Mr Ricochet

From what I've read, and that ain't too too much, is many think Ryan is a kind of one trick pony who doesn't always come to play. Probably an average skater, can't play PK, when a Duck was 2nd unit PP. ......I guess the committee figures Bobby doesn't check enough boxes. Here is a quote from the article I link to in the paragraph below about the committee's thoughts on Ryan:

Bobby Ryan was also in Vancouver and has been the most consistent of U.S.-born scorers, having tallied 30 or more goals four times for Anaheim before being dealt to Ottawa in the offseason. And yet there is surprising resistance to simply penciling him into a spot on the wing.

The issue is where he fits. If he's not a top-six forward, his skating doesn't really lend itself to him being a third-line checker. He cannot kill penalties, and while in Anaheim, he was not on the team's top power-play unit.

"I think he's sleepy. I think he skates sleepy," offers one member of the selection committee.

Here is a book length article, and one helluva read, by ESPN's Scott Burnside that documents the selection process that began in August. So guys were slotted then and either kept their spot, worked their way off it, were injured or someone played their way into a spot. But remember this process and slotting began in August. Link

Mr Ricochet

After reading the whole Burnside piece I didn't realize Brandon Dubinsky was an American. I think this guy is among the most underrated players in all of the NHL. He is simply a 200 foot player that skates very well, is as gritty as they come minus the hack/whack/cheap play of a guy like Backes (penalties, will he get suspended), can play PP and PK and brings a captain's mentality to any team.

At center I'd slot Dubinsky 3rd behind only Kesler and Backes. With the talent on the Canadian, Swedish and Russian rosters shutdown 200 foot centers will be as valuable as the goalie, IMO.

Mr Ricochet

Puck Daddy sees the exclusion of Bobby Ryan and Yandle absurd. Link

Mr Ricochet

CBS Sports/Chris Peters Team USA GM David Poile trying to apologize to Bobby Ryan

While it was great the US staff opened the doors to outsiders to give the rest of the world a look inside the room, the comments like Burke's that get out certainly could have a negative impact. It obviously doesn't look great on the staff, but it's also probably how a lot of them talk about their players behind closed doors.

We got a chance to see at least portions of the good, the bad and the ugly.

Indeed, a rare view into a selection process. Loved Burnside's piece, but damn it's like reading a book.

Goodyear9919

CBS Sports/Chris Peters Team USA GM David Poile trying to apologize to Bobby Ryan

While it was great the US staff opened the doors to outsiders to give the rest of the world a look inside the room, the comments like Burke's that get out certainly could have a negative impact. It obviously doesn't look great on the staff, but it's also probably how a lot of them talk about their players behind closed doors.

We got a chance to see at least portions of the good, the bad and the ugly.

Indeed, a rare view into a selection process. Loved Burnside's piece, but damn it's like reading a book.

Burke is an absolute moron for saying those things "on record", or for even saying them when it could be considered on record.