Sign in to follow this  
Mr Ricochet

Aston Villa at Chelsea today at 1:45 CDT

Mr Ricochet

Soccer fans, Aston Villa travels to Chelsea for a Wednesday afternoon match at 1:45 CDT on NBCSP. Villa coming off a 3-1 win at Arsenal. Watched that game at Arsenal and Villa looked very energetic and deserved that win. Hopin for a close match.

A look at the match

jkozak

Joined a fantasy league with a few of my buddies and they sent me these 2 articles that reminded me of that time one of the guys here posted a rundown of all the teams... if anyone is still manufacturing an allegiance to a team like I am, hopefully they help some:

http://www.espn.go.c...=simmons/060719

http://www.nbcsports...ier-league-club

Edited by jkozak

Mr Ricochet

One helluva find Jkoz, thanks much for the links. .....Couldn't wait to get home last night to watch that Chelsea v AVL tilt, and it didn't disappoint. Chelsea looked like a World Cup team to start but AVL withstood, tied it and lost it late. Great game. That AVL club is worth following this year.

American sports have been ravaged by TV timeouts, ticket price hikes and Jumbotrons that pretty much order fans how to act

A huge reason I started following minor league, and then jr hockey, sports starting in 1993 when Reinsdorf orchestrated the lockout and for the first time since 1903 MLB had no world series. Loyalty, passion and love for team and city all line up behind profit. As generations starting in the 80's were taught profit is God, if you don't squeeze every last nickel out of grandma you are a sucker, fans allowed this to happen and swallowed corporate sales pitches like lemmings.

As someone whose instincts are to say FU before yes sir, I long ago moved on from MLB and all major league sports except for hockey. Minor league sports are as close to what I remember major leagues being in the 70's and 80's. ...Now along comes soccer.

The World Cup fans reminded me of those days. I wanted to find out more. And as I delved into the English Premier League -- starting from scratch, really -- three things struck me over everything else. First, English soccer goes way back to the 19th century (The Football League was founded in 1888)

These fans/countries have gone through 2 world wars on their OWN soil all the while playing soccer vs countries they waged war with!! No need to manufacture rivalries or passion, that damn country bombed by Gramps' city and killed 15 off my family tree!! Something to date few US citizens can even fathom.

But as an old man watching the BPL, Champions League, Spanish League and World Cup that stuff comes 2nd. These are tremendous athletes playing in stadiums dripping with history between teams and countries and put on one helluva show.

As far as who I root for, it was easy to figure out who I won't root for. Take Man City, Man U and Chelsea off the table. Throwing near a billion into a roster eliminates those clubs, although I love watching them play, especially each other.

My criteria to root for any team in any sport starts with the style of play, and where they're from. I like clean, hard nosed, disciplined teams preferably from a blue collar city/state. That's why I asked around before giving any allegiance, and don't really know if I will ever have a #1 team.

I like the city of Liverpool and its history. When I started watching I liked Tottenham's up tempo style play. Got 1/2 off an Arsenal jersey, so I bought two of em and a Liverpool jersey too. Love the way AVL is playing with energy right now. Loved how Everton played way above their heads last year. West Ham is like watching a Steelers-Ravens game. Loved the way Crystal Palace played Tottenham last week to within a goal as they just came up from the 2nd division last year and will now play with the big boys.

As the article points out this is the kind of thing that may take 10 years, who to root for that is.

How long have you followed Jkoz, and who do you lean towards? Why did you and your buds decide to play fantasy soccer, do you guys know the league and its players well enough to play competitively?

jkozak

How long have you followed Jkoz, and who do you lean towards? Why did you and your buds decide to play fantasy soccer, do you guys know the league and its players well enough to play competitively?

I don't really follow anything too much yet. I'm getting into soccer because scouting has kind of taken the fun out of just plain 'watching hockey' like I'm used to. I really don't follow any sport (other than just about every level of amateur hockey) more than just seeing highlights and the occasional article. I'm hoping I can get into soccer more for the fun of following something again. When I was younger I lived in France for a bit so I've 'followed' the Ligue 1 since then, just checking in and watching the occasional game. I like Olympique Lyon. Really fun team, talented youth core and a sweet new stadium on the way. President brought the club up to what it is today and he is fully invested in OL's success. I love to watch

or two players they have that I think are just unbelievable. To me most of the stuff pro soccers can do blows my mind. Hahaha. Also the Ligue 1 has a lot of parity, so it's fun to watch whenever.

As for the Premier League, I joined because I ran the hockey league last year and that was great and we're all getting into soccer now so we might as well. Kind of just passively following, but I think I'm going for Swansea City. Like you've noted, I really like the character and personality of the teams and their fanbases, so I'm excited to get into it a little more once the hectic start of the season has passed and I'm in the swing of things. I agree with you about the style of play and needing a team that is fun to watch, especially coming from hockey to soccer, I want a team that will play up-tempo but also controlled. Hahahaha.

I still have to orient myself to some of the league's stars. badly. I had no idea who Gareth Bale was.

Mr Ricochet

You make a great point Jkoz about you watching hockey is a lot like working, making it tough to be just a fan sometimes. You know I find that true with the NFL to an extent in that I've gambled on the sport for probably 40 yrs starting with playing parlay cards with my Pops when I was 7-8 yrs old. I think I took the fun out of it to a degree gambling on it, that it was more like work than fun. .....

Interesting you follow the Frenchies, but I guess your drawn cuz you lived there. Miracle on Vanrick, who is a member here and coaches soccer at the HS level, explained to me why he follows the Spanish league. He points out it's the most up tempo attacking beautiful style played in the world. As a novice I would agree, but what draws me to the EPL is the mix of physicality with skill. That EPL can be some knock you in the mouth soccer, and I like that.

Tough sport to follow though with all the in season tournaments played against each other and other teams and countries throughout the world.

Interesting that you mention Gareth Bale. As a fan of Tottenham I was wondering where he was as I watched the game last week, and now I read this and see why he didn't play.

For my money the best player in the world is Cristiano Ronoldo and if he and Bale linked up with Real Madrid and clicked that would be awesome to watch.

Also for my money the best club in the world right now is Bayern Munich. Incredible watching that club dissect an opponent.

Setting my DVR today I see Aston Villa plays Liverpool, and it will be televised Saturday. Should be a beauty.

Mr Ricochet

Forgot to mention, Man U v Chelsea Monday afternoon at 2:00 PM on NBCSP. Set those DVR's for this match for the winners of 8 of the last 9 Premier League Championships!!