Photo

Will The Avalanche Look To Fort Wayne As An Affiliate?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,186 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:56 AM

Ran across some good reading in the Goalie Guild. They were talking about Colorado's goaltending and talked about the need for a AA affiliate and FW was mentioned. Also an interesting note on how the CHL can't develop goalies like they do in the ECHL. This info is in the middle of the article. Link

Secondly, I think it is extremely crucial for the Avalanche to secure an ECHL affiliate. Without one, they severely hinder (and borderline damage) their ability to develop goalie prospects effectively. This is no slight against the Central Hockey League (the Avs held an affiliation with the Allen Americans this past season), but it is not a league where goalies develop in a manner that aids their long-term success. The talent they face isn’t good enough, and the overall style of play is not conducive to the ECHL or the AHL.

To further this point, I received a few tweets from Colorado Eagles (once a CHL team, now an ECHL team) goaltender Andrew Penner. He had replied to one of my tweets mentioning the fact that the Avs now desperately need an ECHL affiliate to make room for these goalies:

“I completely agree. After playing 3 yrs in the CHL and then last year back to the ECHL, definitely a difference…more NHL contracted players to play against and lots more exposure in ECHL.” -Andrew Penner

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#2 Avsrule_2002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Fishing, Hunting

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

It would make so much sense if the Av's affilliated with the Eagles, but I don't see that happening. Chris Stewart likes the control he has with the Eagles personnel, and he wouln't take 2 goalies assigned to him from a parent club unless he was forced to. Then you have Stan Kronke who isn't interested in having anything to do with minor pro hockey anywhere near Denver.
Ft. Wayne makes sense due to the proximity of the Lake Erie team, but will they want 2 young goalies assigned to them right off the bat of joining the E?
Great article!
"No more rats" - Patrick Roy

#3 Maddog

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:34 AM

It would make so much sense if the Av's affilliated with the Eagles, but I don't see that happening. Chris Stewart likes the control he has with the Eagles personnel, and he wouln't take 2 goalies assigned to him from a parent club unless he was forced to. Then you have Stan Kronke who isn't interested in having anything to do with minor pro hockey anywhere near Denver.
Ft. Wayne makes sense due to the proximity of the Lake Erie team, but will they want 2 young goalies assigned to them right off the bat of joining the E?
Great article!

I can only speak about Pickard, after watching the past four seasons with him in the net in Seattle. Pickard would be a good fit with the Komets, if he doesn't make the AAA squad, He could learn a lot from a veteran goalie. Due to a sub par WHL team, for those four seasons....damn you Thunderbirds!, where he was left on his own defensively more than once and too many times to count. He made some great saves and in the end regardless of the lack of team play, Pickard excels while the defense collapses in the open ice but can battle back with a crowd in front of him. There were more than a few times that Pickard was stellar while still letting soft goals in (one time, his bobble head night in Seattle, when he threw the puck into his own net...fans were ready to throw the 'heads onto the ice.) Those soft goals will kill him. The experience with Seattle has hurt him In the end, Pickard, if he doesn't make the Monster's squad, could learn from the Komet organization.

#4 Kmtshcky17

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

I never saw FW mentioned in this article. But, being an Avs fan I'd welcome them as an affiliate.
Turner Cup Champions 1963, 1965, 1973, 1993, 2008, 2009, 2010
Colonial Cup Champions 2003
President Cup Champions 2012

#5 Kmtshcky17

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

Nevermind, I didn't read the comments. So are the Avs really rumored to affilate with the Komets?
Turner Cup Champions 1963, 1965, 1973, 1993, 2008, 2009, 2010
Colonial Cup Champions 2003
President Cup Champions 2012

#6 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 32,186 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

Nevermind, I didn't read the comments. So are the Avs really rumored to affilate with the Komets?

No, just speculation it would be a good fit, especially from a goalie perspective on the Avs part.
Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#7 Y2K

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

It would make perfect sense from a developement stand point especially with Lake Erie so close. The K's have contacted some teams so I guess we'll see what happens from here on out.
Posted Image

#8 Y2K

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

Great article!

If some type of affiliation was to happen maybe they could send us just one and then loan the other goalie to another team who doesn't already have goalie spots filled with affiliated goalie.
Posted Image

#9 Lucher

Cup Winning Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:59 AM

I think the one thing we will see with the move to the ECHL is some sort of affiliation and at least one goalie. I've been to a few Toledo games and they have had at least one if not two partial affiliations. One with Detroit and one with Chicago if memory serves. Although I think they only have one now. At the start I know they had one goalie from Chicago and one from Detroit. At this level I dn't think any affiation is a bad thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Jr96Dad : (03 June 2014 - 06:30 AM) @ Mr Ricochet: Yes, TIER III
@  Mr Ricochet : (02 June 2014 - 04:10 PM) Is that Tier III, JrDad?
@  Jr96Dad : (02 June 2014 - 08:52 AM) Cant wait to watch the WSHL on fast hockey this year. Wyoming is too far for me to drive for weekend games.
@  Mr Ricochet : (12 February 2014 - 09:41 AM) caweed, look at the SPHL or FHL. Both are A pro.
@  caweed08 : (11 February 2014 - 11:40 PM) Anyone know of any teams that have open tryouts for a military vet who is 24y/o?
@  IceGoon1410 : (06 December 2013 - 08:18 AM) needs more hockey
@  Chopstyx : (27 September 2013 - 10:36 PM) Mr Ricochet, Will be back soon!
@  Mr Ricochet : (20 September 2013 - 05:42 AM) Eddie O really talking up the Waterloo Blackhawks on the telecast last night where his boy, Nick, will play this year.
@  Mr Ricochet : (18 September 2013 - 06:13 AM) Great to be back at the UC. TT looked to be as advertised and Nordstrom really does have a 3 zone game.
@  Mr Ricochet : (07 September 2013 - 07:37 AM) Gottta love HS football!! Go Minooka.
@  Chopstyx : (06 September 2013 - 11:18 PM) Rico , thanks for going to the game with pop!
@  Mr Ricochet : (24 June 2013 - 06:20 AM) Go Hawks. Win the Cup tonight!!
@  The One Timer : (29 May 2013 - 10:25 PM) First time Q has EVER gotten a team past the Red Wings in the playoffs. Took him long enough.
@  Chopstyx : (13 May 2013 - 11:58 AM) Another great finals game, thanks to all we met, great venue, go saints
@  Chopstyx : (11 May 2013 - 11:30 AM) Finals roadtrip with Mr. Ricochet, and Rodddney, looking forward to meeting the West Boyz, see yous guys later
@  Chopstyx : (08 May 2013 - 10:46 AM) Another great road trip playoff game,
@  JacksJacksJacks : (13 March 2013 - 08:29 AM) Jacks first home weekend in a month, buying a jersey from fattyrc, and currently getting paid to just sit here! hooray!
@  The One Timer : (19 February 2013 - 10:43 PM) 06/07 Ducks start: 12-0-4. '13 Hawks start: 13-0-3.
@  Hoosierpuck : (07 February 2013 - 02:21 PM) @ducktape - Sony has an 'internet to tv' converter that will allow you to stream webcasts thru your tv ... about $60 at best buy etc ...
@  ducktape : (29 January 2013 - 10:20 PM) Wonder if I could stream Fast Hockey from Tablet to TV....