NAHL vs USHL comment.......

21 replies to this topic

#1 TcFlint

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

No question, the USHL is ranked higher than the NAHL. However, my question in regards to comparison is about their playoff formats. USHL teams in the quarter-finals, semi-finals, and championship finals play a best of "5" game series. NAHL teams play a best of "5" in the division semi-finals and division finals, but in the league championship series a goofy "round robin" tournament" at a pre-selected city that almost minimizes the regular season. Has the NAHL always done this? Is it because the NAHL is much more spread-out across the country than the USHL that makes this necessary? Thank you in advance.

Edited by TcFlint, 17 May 2011 - 06:52 PM.

Holland by way of Traverse City, MI by way of Flint, MI
Go Generals! Go Michigan! Go Red Wings! Go Pistons! Go Tigers! Go Lions!

#2 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 33,026 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:39 PM

No question, the USHL is ranked higher than the NAHL. However, my question in regards to comparison is about their playoff formats. USHL teams in the quarter-finals, semi-finals, and championship finals play a best of "5" game series. NAHL teams play a best of "5" in the division semi-finals and division finals, but in the league championship series a goofy "round robin" tournament" at a pre-selected city that almost minimizes the regular season. Has the NAHL always done this? Is it because the NAHL is much more spread-out across the country than the USHL that makes this necessary? Thank you in advance.

Tc, I have looked at the NAHL format numerous times and it sent me to the garage for a 12 pack of Blue Moons. I still don't know what the hell!!

But, there are some sharpies who follow and they will clear it up for you.

Also, did you see that FIVE NAHL players went in the 1st round of the USHL draft yesterday. Including the very first pick to Chicago!!!! http://www.ushldraft.com/

The NAHL has plenty of big time talent, they are just spread out over 187 teams!!!
Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#3 TheGreaser

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

I think the NAHL is trying to mirror the Canadian Junior Hockey tournament also I think they are just trying to be different from the USHL. As far as talent goes they just had 2 kids commit to North Dakota and 1 to Wisconson.

The Alaska Avalanche has announced that defenseman Dan Senkbeil has committed to the University of North Dakota (WCHA) for the coming fall, while goaltender Landon Peterson has committed to the University of Wisconsin (WCHA).

For nearly three full seasons, Michael Di Puma came to work everyday for the Wenatchee Wild. His persistence and dedication paid off last week when he committed to the University of North Dakota, one of the top Division I programs in the country.

#4 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 33,026 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:35 AM

I think the NAHL is trying to mirror the Canadian Junior Hockey tournament also I think they are just trying to be different from the USHL. As far as talent goes they just had 2 kids commit to North Dakota and 1 to Wisconson.

The Alaska Avalanche has announced that defenseman Dan Senkbeil has committed to the University of North Dakota (WCHA) for the coming fall, while goaltender Landon Peterson has committed to the University of Wisconsin (WCHA).

For nearly three full seasons, Michael Di Puma came to work everyday for the Wenatchee Wild. His persistence and dedication paid off last week when he committed to the University of North Dakota, one of the top Division I programs in the country.

I remember Senkbeil when he played a couple games for Chicago of the USHL: http://www.hockeydb.....php?pid=123402

Big kid with some game.......
Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#5 Fangers

Cup Winning Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:00 AM

Just my speculation here, don't have any inside info...

The NAHL has more divisions, so to have additional round(s) of playoffs would add more time to the season and travel costs would be higher. Having all the final teams in one location for the round robin format makes it more attractive to scouts ( = more exposure) since they only have to travel to one spot and the location and dates are known well in advance.

#6 kwey24

Points Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:24 AM

NAHL has to go with the format. Can you imagine an NAHL team having to afford a five-game series going against Fairbanks (who oftentimes are a contender). The ECHL faces difficulties with the Alaska Aces, let alone how spread out the NAHL is. I mean, can you imagine if Topeka had to face Fairbanks in the finals?

NAHL D1 commits: Yes, the NAHL gets these, but watch and see what roles most of these guys end up playing (depth roles). I mean, when you see an NAHL goaltender signing a D1 commit who's aging out, that usually means he's the future third (or fouth) goaltender for the team he's going to.

Now, the D1 commits for NAHLers who are still young, that's different, but these players often also play at least a year in the USHL first.

#7 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 33,026 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:30 AM

NAHL D1 commits: Yes, the NAHL gets these,

And if I remember you making the point some time back correctly, the EJHL gets more D1 scholarships and is a much smaller league!!
Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#8 Fangers

Cup Winning Coach

• Members
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:51 PM

And if I remember you making the point some time back correctly, the EJHL gets more D1 scholarships and is a much smaller league!!

IIRC, the NAHL has more TOTAL DI commits, but the EJHL sends a larger % (# commits/# league players)

#9 KingoftheCrease

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

FWIW, The NAHL had 17 kids go in the USHL draft.
When talking about the EJ, dont ever forget this one single fact, the majority of the NCAA d1 commitments for that league dont originate in that league. The boys are recruited while playing D1 preps, and then spoon feed to the EJ. The same holds true 90% for the USHL. They take guys that are locked up, or very near being locked up.
The NA, however develops kids and offers.
The most horrible aspects to the NAHL are the travel and lack of scouts. Seriously, which is easier in this economy. 80.00 in gas, to see 90 kids in a weekend. or a 1k round trip ticket see 40. This also why most NAHL commitments come at the end of the season, and those being to mid to bottom tier D1 programs. The player reality is if you play in the NAHL for more than one season your, likely going to stay for ever and go uncommitted, or to D3. Which if you had just gone and played Jr B even in the EJHL you would have had after one year. The NAHL teams as a whole, have far more intense physical training programs, and some of the new up starts should see far more interest from top tier programs moving forward.
in the modern digital age, a broken watch is not even right twice a day. Leads one to believe there is still strength in tradition

#10 kwey24

Points Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:54 PM

Ooh, I don't know if the EJHL has more D1 commits on sheer numbers, but they do have a greater number of high-profile commits (and NHL draft picks). We don't see Charlie Coyles, Brian Dumoulins, and the like directly out of the NAHL to college (or the NHL Entry Draft).

#11 Brendan Savage

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

Tc, I have looked at the NAHL format numerous times and it sent me to the garage for a 12 pack of Blue Moons. I still don't know what the hell!!

But, there are some sharpies who follow and they will clear it up for you.

Also, did you see that FIVE NAHL players went in the 1st round of the USHL draft yesterday. Including the very first pick to Chicago!!!! http://www.ushldraft.com/

The NAHL has plenty of big time talent, they are just spread out over 187 teams!!!

Off topic but ... I'm not a beer drinker but I had a Blue Moon across the street from Wrigley Field Sunday while on my honeymoon. Not bad although it tasted pretty much like any other beer to me. But it was cold! (Too bad the Cubs and Giants were too wimpy to play; it didn't rain a lick after game time yet the canceled because of the threat.)

#12 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 33,026 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:38 PM

Off topic but ... I'm not a beer drinker but I had a Blue Moon across the street from Wrigley Field Sunday while on my honeymoon. Not bad although it tasted pretty much like any other beer to me. But it was cold! (Too bad the Cubs and Giants were too wimpy to play; it didn't rain a lick after game time yet the canceled because of the threat.)

Hot Damn Brendan!! Congrats on tying the knot. :beers: ......... Interesting you picked The City Of Big Shoulders as a honeymoon spot.

Those damn Blue Moons are killin me. I basically quit drinking for a few years until I was turned on to Blue Moon. Now, I have a few every weekend. Thing about them is, the next day you can't even feel that you drank. Damn good beer.

Meant to ask you Savage, what can you tell me about Dman Ryan Trenz from the Michigan Warriors? the Steel drafted the kid 7th in the 1st round.
Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#13 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 33,026 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:39 PM

Ooh, I don't know if the EJHL has more D1 commits on sheer numbers,

Am I confusing that and meant the BCHL? Do they have more D1 commits than the NAHL?
Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#14 TcFlint

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

Blue Moon reminds me of Hoegaarden from Belgium. My stomach can't handle to0 many things besides lite, watered down beer anymore, but every now and then a Blue Moon or Hoegaarden hits the spot.
Holland by way of Traverse City, MI by way of Flint, MI
Go Generals! Go Michigan! Go Red Wings! Go Pistons! Go Tigers! Go Lions!

#15 KingoftheCrease

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:18 PM

No it would be EJ. The EJ proportional has more commits, but the key is where do they come from.
Look at the USHL DRAFT as example. only 10% are uncommitted players, and those 10% are talking to schools right now and have been. ITs not the JR league, so as much as it is what leads up to JRs. Then for the guy who does get in the door, with out a commitment, its about getting one.
in the modern digital age, a broken watch is not even right twice a day. Leads one to believe there is still strength in tradition

#16 JacksJacksJacks

3nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

I have stopped drinking too for the time being, but I really like Molson Canadian when I watch hockey at bars but the LC only sells Bud. One 32 oz a period makes ya happy but not drunk!

I need to find someone who lives in the Flint/Saginaw area and make a junior hockey tour. Saginaw, Flint, Port Huron and Plymouth! I've been to Compuware. It's a barn, but it's good hockey. I'd love to go to that side of Canada as well, but I think I might have some trouble getting into Canada since Mr. JacksJacksJacks drove his car while he was impaired. Don't ever drive even if you've had just one. #themoreyouknow!
I'm the biggest Muskegon Lumberjack fan you'll ever meet.
I always sit in Section 107 Row M seats 8-13.

#17 Fangers

Cup Winning Coach

• Members
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

No it would be EJ. The EJ proportional has more commits, but the key is where do they come from.
Look at the USHL DRAFT as example. only 10% are uncommitted players, and those 10% are talking to schools right now and have been. ITs not the JR league, so as much as it is what leads up to JRs. Then for the guy who does get in the door, with out a commitment, its about getting one.

The BCHL gets quite few D1 commits itself...I'll have to research the actual numbers, but it wouldn't surprise if it's on par with NAHL & EJ.

#18 Steve65497

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 6,391 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:07 AM

Mr Ric...trenz is a stud...he is a do it all dman

#19 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 33,026 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:25 AM

I need to find someone who lives in the Flint/Saginaw area and make a junior hockey tour. Saginaw, Flint, Port Huron and Plymouth! I've been to Compuware. It's a barn, but it's good hockey. I'd love to go to that side of Canada as well,

Until proven otherwise I still contend that the Flint area is the very best to be a hockey fan. Flint, Kzoo, Saginaw, Plymouth and Ann Arbor all within a short drive! Incredible.

Agree on Compuware, not a great place for hockey, or much of anything. But some damn fine hockey. Saginaw is a great barn, and of course future #1 NHL picks can be seen there often.

I too wanna make the trip over the border. Sarnia, Windsor and Kitchner are all close. Time it right and you'll see 3 games in 3 different cities in one weekend.
Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#20 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 33,026 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

Mr Ric...trenz is a stud...he is a do it all dman

Thanks dude. I'll give you my take on his play in the USHL............ Would looooove to hear a few tidbits on Savage's wedding.
Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users