Mr Ricochet

USHL GDT (Saturday 1/6)

Mr Ricochet

At the 10:00 mark and on their 12th shot Steel knot it at 1.  Mastro pressures the point, Dman dumps into the corner, Dman Pietro grabs the thing, pushed back up to Mastro at the Bline, with his back turned to the neutral zone he nicely hands off to a full stride Seyfert, carries it in for a 3 on 2, skates to the outside of the circle, checks up, Mastro drives the net taking the Dman with him opening a passing lane for Seyfert, Dman Bucheler joins the rush, Seyfert hits him in stride at the hash marks, a move, shot, save, follows his shot and knocks the rebound in out of mid air, 1-1. 

Mr Ricochet

At the 11 minute mark, SOG 15-14 FAR.

Mr Ricochet

At 14:10 Force win another faceoff in their zone, Dman Pietro for some reason pinches, easily beaten, not close, 2 on 1, Bison carries it out and in, Stevens nicely hustles back takes away the pass, Bison a wrister from the circle, 2-1............ Very very very very rough night for the usually steady Pietroniro. 

Mr Ricochet

2nd ends 2-1, FAR.  SOG, 22-17 Fargo.   With the Steel down 2-1, dressed short two guys, an affiliate dressed, flu running thru the locker room, going into the 6th period at Fargo, lost the night before, Dugan takes a 10:00 runnin your mouth misconduct after the 2nd ended. ........With that in mind Vidgren should slow down on the jackhammering.

Mr Ricochet

Wow, the refs are really letting things go tonight in the 2nd of a back to back and besides a couple early Force interferences IMO it's been to the Steel's benefit. 

Mr Ricochet

Oh well, HTV feed ends with 7 minutes left of Steel @ Fargo!

DM47
36 minutes ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Wow, the refs are really letting things go tonight in the 2nd of a back to back and besides a couple early Force interferences IMO it's been to the Steel's benefit. 

I think Fargo dies better with a faster pace and flow. penalties, and jawing after the whistle slow the game down. With that said Fargo is one of the highest penalized teams in the league. 

No more scoring in the game, it ends 2-1.  Bischel was pumped up, best performance he has had in awhile. 

Chipper Fan
15 hours ago, DM47 said:

I am glad to see Mitton and Steele remain in the lineup. I am a big fan of Mitton. He didn't hardly get to dress for quite awhile but now has 2 assists in the last 3 games and Steele has two goals in the last two weekends.  Fargo has always had older teams but rolling well with 4-2000's in the lineup. 

Knowing how well you know the league, I am glad we feel the same way about Mitton. Injuries and various tournaments have opened up room in the lineup for him this month and he's taking advantage. He reminds me of Loughran a little in that he drives the net hard and has good hands. He's also one of the nicest guys on the team. Mitton was one of the two players who hand-delivered our season tickets this year and he was just a blast to talk to. 

Mr Ricochet
12 hours ago, DM47 said:

I think Fargo dies better with a faster pace and flow. penalties, and jawing after the whistle slow the game down. With that said Fargo is one of the highest penalized teams in the league. 

No more scoring in the game, it ends 2-1.  Bischel was pumped up, best performance he has had in awhile. 

http://www.fargoforce.com/news_article/show/872793?referrer_id=2837456

“We haven’t performed closing out games as we would have liked here in the last couple weeks,” head coach Cary Eades said, “but we’ve done really well because the guys buy in and play the proper way to protect the lead. Tonight was a nailbiter, but we did enough things right to protect that 2-1 lead. It would have been great to score one and build that to 3-1, but it didn’t happen tonight.”

Thought the Force stopped attacking in the 3rd and hung on, sort of.  SOG were 14-10 CHI in the 3rd but many of those shots were long range without traffic that Bischel easily gloved.  Remember the Steel were short 2 players, the flu was running thru the locker room, an affiliate was dressed, Dugan served a 10:00 runnin your mouth in a back to back.  The 3rd period is when you distance yourself in that circumstance.  It also speaks to Eades' respect for Chicago's quick strike ability that he'd back off the attack and preserve the 1 goal lead. 

Watching the two games I saw a different Force team each night, to a degree.  Not much wall play Saturday while Friday's wall play was excellent, IIRC 3 of the 4 goals started from the wall. Surprisingly I thought the Steel were the faster team on Saturday in he back to back whereas Fargo may have had an edge on Friday in that regard. Steel had decent zone time and worked the puck, sometimes too much, in the Ozone.  That speaks to their top 3-4 skill guys and system.

As mentioned after Friday's game a lot to like about the Force, #1 being their positioning which is a reflection of coaching.  At this level it really creates odd mans, a neutral zone that is tough to get thru and punishes mistakes.    Thought they were disciplined in that Eades told em stay out of the box as the best chance the Steel have is on the PP, that we will beat this group 5 on 5.  Vidgren many many times jackhammered both Farmer and Van Whye, no calls, and they didn't respond staying out of the box.  In fact in the two games the Force only committed 3 penalties total, same for the Steel. 

As a Steel fan I am satisfied with their effort in getting swept.  Playing short and sick they lost two 1 goal games (sans the MT netter) on the road vs the #1 points club in the league and came a shot short of matching them in SOG on the back half of the back to back.  In the 6th period of the back to back got 14 shots off to 10.  ........ IMO Pietroniro played his worst game for the Steel Saturday. Decisions were poor and execution as bad.   Lilli, who skates a ton of minutes, was caught deep on many ill advised pressures.  My guy Abruzzuse was the least effective I've seen admitting he got himself in alone on Mann twice on Friday.  That said who knows if these kids, or any of them, were playing sick.

Just finished watching Omaha club TC at TC where TC outshot em 36-21.  Omaha looked to me to be a team that plays fast, can finish with excellent goaltending  This conference is a true toss up. 

Mr Ricochet

Great to see someone step up and go with the "play to the edge" Chris Krygier of Lincoln.   Cheap shot by Krygier to throw another punch after the linesman got between him and Dawson?   

DM47
3 hours ago, Chipper Fan said:

Knowing how well you know the league, I am glad we feel the same way about Mitton. Injuries and various tournaments have opened up room in the lineup for him this month and he's taking advantage. He reminds me of Loughran a little in that he drives the net hard and has good hands. He's also one of the nicest guys on the team. Mitton was one of the two players who hand-delivered our season tickets this year and he was just a blast to talk to. 

I thought Mitton didn't have his bes t game on Saturday despite getting the goal.  What I like about him is he can play physical and stickhandle, like everyone else on the team he is looking for the pass first to set up the shot usually.  He is still young and you see him make some mental errors some time but if he listens to the coach he will clean that up.

I got a chance to talk to him for awhile during an intermission in Des Moines as well. Super nice kid and even though he wasn't getting any playing time then he still seemed happy to be with the team.

redwing77

As far as Omaha vs. Tri City...

A bit of levity last night (*and the night before):  When Waterloo played Omaha, the scoreboard operator got lazy and we played Lincoln for a bit before they finally got it right.  It happened again in Kearny.  Tri City was playing Sioux City last night for a time, according to the scoreboard.  They also had trouble with stats.  Right after the first Omaha goal, we were awarded an extra goal and 98 more shots on goal (so it was 2-0 on 99 shots).  Quite amusing.

Now, onto the game.  Omaha scored, what surely had to be the quickest goal to start out a game.  Brendan Furry scored 10 seconds into the 1st period on a goal that should never have gotten past the Tri City goaltender Jake Barczewski.  It would be, in my opinion, the only weak goal he gave up, but still...

For the second game in a row, Omaha had to kill off a 5 on 3 power play.  They successfully did so.  Tri City also had to kill one off, but they were unsuccessful.

The story of the game was the injuries, most minor.  3 Tri City Storm players got roughed up pretty good.  One was a noncall late in the third period.  Another was a 2 minute boarding call and the third was a freak accident that was unfortunate.  A Storm player (I didn't catch his number) was skating into the Omaha zone in the 2nd Period (opposite side of the ice I was sitting to be fair) when he fell down.  On the way down, his head hit the knee of an Omaha skater.  I don't know if he lost an edge or if the Omaha player tripped him, but the Omaha player's stick didn't appear to be near the Storm player's skates at the time.  The knee to the head was DEFINITELY accidental, however. 

The only other poor play came in the 3rd period with 5:39 left on the clock.  After the whistle, Lancer forward Cole Gallant was skating towards the Omaha bench when a Tri City player gave him the forearm shiver or just sucker punched Cole to the jaw.  The ref initially didn't see it, or something to that matter because the penalty was called well after the event occurred.  It was DEFINITELY a major penalty. 

Anyways, Tri City was definitely the more physical last night, but I believe Omaha ran off at the mouth quite a bit as well. 

The refs did an ok job, but not great.  I'm sure the Tri City contingent would think otherwise.

Once again, I felt Tri City outplayed Omaha for about half the game despite the score differential.  Sadly, 3 of the 5 goals (Tri City's goal and the last 2 Omaha goals) came on the opposite end of the rink from my seats so I cannot tell if they were simply mistakes by Tri city leading to Omaha scores or whatever.  It did appear to me that Tri City's goal wasn't a great job goaltending by Driscoll, but I could be wrong.

Speaking of Driscoll, I didn't notice any piling of snow by him around the goal posts during the 2nd period (the only period when I was closer to him than the Tri City goaltender).

Omaha won 4-1.  3 stars were 1st - Christian O'Neill (Omaha), 2nd - Tyler Ward (Tri City), 3rd - Filip Suchy (Omaha)

Other tidbits:

1.  It wouldn't surprise me to see Filip Suchy get USHL weekly honors.  2 games 4g 1a 5points is a good weekend.

2.  I was apalled by the behavior of about 5-6 kids approximately aged 8-12 years old sitting in a suite above my section (Section U).  They shouted abuse all night long, mostly against the Squirt hockey players that played during intermission and to the two guys seated one row above us.  They threw trash and a hockey puck at them (they then demanded the puck back, and I gave it back after the game).  Normally, I don't care much about fan behavior at hockey games.  I've been treated very well in the past in Kearney and several Storm fans came over and chatted with us before and after the game.  It was normally a great time (FYI, Kearney, Green Bay, Cedar Rapids, and (shockingly) Lincoln have been the best places in terms of nice fans that I've visited so far.. I've also been to Fargo, Sioux City, Sioux Falls, and Des Moines... Des Moines and Fargo being the worst places I've been treated.  I can't wait to get to Waterloo, Dubuque, and Chicago personally) and I do expect some ribbing, but wow...  where were those kids' parents?  It was a shame.  Several people moved because of them.

Oh well.

OmahaHockeyFan
40 minutes ago, redwing77 said:

As far as Omaha vs. Tri City...

A bit of levity last night (*and the night before):  When Waterloo played Omaha, the scoreboard operator got lazy and we played Lincoln for a bit before they finally got it right.  It happened again in Kearny.  Tri City was playing Sioux City last night for a time, according to the scoreboard.  They also had trouble with stats.  Right after the first Omaha goal, we were awarded an extra goal and 98 more shots on goal (so it was 2-0 on 99 shots).  Quite amusing.

Now, onto the game.  Omaha scored, what surely had to be the quickest goal to start out a game.  Brendan Furry scored 10 seconds into the 1st period on a goal that should never have gotten past the Tri City goaltender Jake Barczewski.  It would be, in my opinion, the only weak goal he gave up, but still...

For the second game in a row, Omaha had to kill off a 5 on 3 power play.  They successfully did so.  Tri City also had to kill one off, but they were unsuccessful.

The story of the game was the injuries, most minor.  3 Tri City Storm players got roughed up pretty good.  One was a noncall late in the third period.  Another was a 2 minute boarding call and the third was a freak accident that was unfortunate.  A Storm player (I didn't catch his number) was skating into the Omaha zone in the 2nd Period (opposite side of the ice I was sitting to be fair) when he fell down.  On the way down, his head hit the knee of an Omaha skater.  I don't know if he lost an edge or if the Omaha player tripped him, but the Omaha player's stick didn't appear to be near the Storm player's skates at the time.  The knee to the head was DEFINITELY accidental, however. 

The only other poor play came in the 3rd period with 5:39 left on the clock.  After the whistle, Lancer forward Cole Gallant was skating towards the Omaha bench when a Tri City player gave him the forearm shiver or just sucker punched Cole to the jaw.  The ref initially didn't see it, or something to that matter because the penalty was called well after the event occurred.  It was DEFINITELY a major penalty. 

Anyways, Tri City was definitely the more physical last night, but I believe Omaha ran off at the mouth quite a bit as well. 

The refs did an ok job, but not great.  I'm sure the Tri City contingent would think otherwise.

Once again, I felt Tri City outplayed Omaha for about half the game despite the score differential.  Sadly, 3 of the 5 goals (Tri City's goal and the last 2 Omaha goals) came on the opposite end of the rink from my seats so I cannot tell if they were simply mistakes by Tri city leading to Omaha scores or whatever.  It did appear to me that Tri City's goal wasn't a great job goaltending by Driscoll, but I could be wrong.

Speaking of Driscoll, I didn't notice any piling of snow by him around the goal posts during the 2nd period (the only period when I was closer to him than the Tri City goaltender).

Omaha won 4-1.  3 stars were 1st - Christian O'Neill (Omaha), 2nd - Tyler Ward (Tri City), 3rd - Filip Suchy (Omaha)

Other tidbits:

1.  It wouldn't surprise me to see Filip Suchy get USHL weekly honors.  2 games 4g 1a 5points is a good weekend.

2.  I was apalled by the behavior of about 5-6 kids approximately aged 8-12 years old sitting in a suite above my section (Section U).  They shouted abuse all night long, mostly against the Squirt hockey players that played during intermission and to the two guys seated one row above us.  They threw trash and a hockey puck at them (they then demanded the puck back, and I gave it back after the game).  Normally, I don't care much about fan behavior at hockey games.  I've been treated very well in the past in Kearney and several Storm fans came over and chatted with us before and after the game.  It was normally a great time (FYI, Kearney, Green Bay, Cedar Rapids, and (shockingly) Lincoln have been the best places in terms of nice fans that I've visited so far.. I've also been to Fargo, Sioux City, Sioux Falls, and Des Moines... Des Moines and Fargo being the worst places I've been treated.  I can't wait to get to Waterloo, Dubuque, and Chicago personally) and I do expect some ribbing, but wow...  where were those kids' parents?  It was a shame.  Several people moved because of them.

Oh well.

Lancers have been getting out shot badly since Christmas.  Teams aren't getting a lot of quality shots, but it is holding Omaha's offense back some.  Lancers aren't nearly as effective with the puck as they were before the break.  They really struggled against Waterloo's neutral zone trap.

redwing77
2 minutes ago, OmahaHockeyFan said:

Lancers have been getting out shot badly since Christmas.  Teams aren't getting a lot of quality shots, but it is holding Omaha's offense back some.  Lancers aren't nearly as effective with the puck as they were before the break.  They really struggled against Waterloo's neutral zone trap.

Yes.  I'd really would have liked to know what it looked like to get over 30 shots in a period like Sioux City did against Omaha.  Both Waterloo and Tri City badly outshot Omaha at times.  I thought we'd end up with another badly lopsided shot count in Kearney as well.

I said it last night to some Storm fans.  Omaha's offense isn't doing great (I believe their power play is rather poor to be honest), but Omaha's defense and PK units are very solid.

OmahaHockeyFan
2 hours ago, redwing77 said:

Yes.  I'd really would have liked to know what it looked like to get over 30 shots in a period like Sioux City did against Omaha.  Both Waterloo and Tri City badly outshot Omaha at times.  I thought we'd end up with another badly lopsided shot count in Kearney as well.

I said it last night to some Storm fans.  Omaha's offense isn't doing great (I believe their power play is rather poor to be honest), but Omaha's defense and PK units are very solid.

Lancers played their best hockey when they controlled the puck and put up 30-40 shots  game.  Hopefully they get back to that as the roster settles down.  They're not the most talented team, but they have the ability to score in bunches if opposing teams aren't focused and prepared to battle.  A decent powerplay would help a lot.

Defense, goaltending, and penalty killing are tremendous though.  Omaha may be giving up more shots, but about a third of them are real quality chances.  Other than the Waterloo shutout, Lancers really aren't making many mistakes.