Mr Ricochet

USHL GDT (Friday 1/5)

Mr Ricochet

Finished up the Steel game but not sure if I can add my notes, under the weather here.  With the Steel dressing two short of a full lineup, two affiliates (Fillion-Pollock) making their USHL debuts and regulars Kokkila, Stucker, Magera, Stevens, Kodsi out I'm assuming this club is sick.  No other explanation I can think of (their PBP man didn't make the trip).

That said a fine effort by the champs vs the top team in USHL points, on the road in the 5-3 (MT netter) loss with a brand new head coach.  Down 3-1 in the 3rd they score two in a minute to tie the thing with 12:00 to go.  Off the faceoff centers Shore and Hebert exchange cross checks/roughs, Hebert goes down, so Shore goes.  FAR scores on the ensuing PP with 6:45 to go to go up 4-3.  3 minutes later Mastrosimone reads and then settles a beauty flip out clear at center ice, in alone, BOTH Force Dmen are BEHIND Mastro with their sticks parallel to the ice on his hands/arms, Mastro goes down in the slot, no shot, no call.  Game as it turns out ends there. 

Fargo creates tons of mismatches, lanes and seams from very good wall play (IIRC 3 of their 4 goals started along the wall).  Seem to create chances by their positioning as well.  They find soft spots nicely  Their D got beat once or twice from tight high gaps and physical play at the blueline but halted entries 25 more times as a result.  Solid club for sure, a lot to like, find ways to get dangerous and can beat you 9 different ways in all 3 zones.   A  well coached group that executes. 

Mr Ricochet
18 hours ago, herbst20 said:

Cedar Rapids gets Boston College recruit TJ Walsh back tonight.   He had been sidelined all season due to off season shoulder surgery.  Also back in the line up for Cedar Rapids is Jordan Timmons.  

Another observations is Sam Malinski is no longer showing on the line chart.  I have not seen anything from the team or league yet, but I assume he was sent to the NAHL.

Walsh with an assist and a shot, was even.  Was Timmons hurt?  He terrorized the Steel a couple weeks ago.  ......... YT has lost 5 straight, no points, after rattling of wins in 7 of 8. 

Mr Ricochet

Jacks set their franchise win streak at 7 with the 3-2 win at DBQ.  A minute into the 2nd their top scorer Biongiovanni toe picked into the end wall, sat on the bench for a couple, then left.  Kinda turned away from this snoozer so don't know if he returned......... Big Saint acquisition FIN 00 F Matias Maccelli made his debut.  Skated RW on the top line with Steeves and Virtanen. Got PP time as well, think it was 1st unit.  Wasn't noticeable at all in his first USHL action, no shots no scoresheet. 

Mr Ricochet
1 minute ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Jacks set their franchise win streak at 7 with the 3-2 win at DBQ.  A minute into the 2nd their top scorer Biongiovanni toe picked into the end wall, sat on the bench for a couple, then left.  Kinda turned away from this snoozer so don't know if he returned......... Big Saint acquisition FIN 00 F Matias Maccelli made his debut.  Skated RW on the top line with Steeves and Virtanen. Got PP time as well, think it was 1st unit.  Wasn't noticeable at all in his first USHL action, no shots no scoresheet. 

Guess I could be wrong on where Maccelli slotted, but stopped the action 4 times going into a faceoff in the 1st to see who he was lined up with and am sure I got that particular line correct.

DS0I9bEVwAAPKOs.jpg

Mr Ricochet
13 hours ago, redwing77 said:

Omaha beats Waterloo in OT 3-2.  Suchy had a hat trick.

Despite losing, Waterloo played like they were the better team on the ice tonight.  They had great possession skills, faceoffs favored them I believe, and Tomek looked solid. 

The three stars were Suchy (first), Noah Cates (Second), and Drury (Third).  I felt Purpura should've gotten a star.  He kept Waterloo out of the game for most of the contest.  Waterloo only had 27 shots on goal but that's mostly because Omaha blocked a fair share of them and they flat out missed the net on the rest.  Waterloo really appeared to dominate tonight.

The game tying goal came with 30 seconds left in the third with a Waterloo player in the box and an extra attacker on the ice.

Omaha seemed to have nothing on the Power Play and seemed to rely solely on Suchy for offense (luckily it worked).  Omaha's PK was VERY solid.

Thanks much, 77. 

Mr Ricochet

Never gets old. 

herbst20

Timmons was out the past couple weeks with an injury. He was the 13th forward and played limited minutes from what I could tell.

Mr Ricochet
39 minutes ago, herbst20 said:

Timmons was out the past couple weeks with an injury. He was the 13th forward and played limited minutes from what I could tell.

He likes playing the Steel:

http://www.ushl.com/view/#/game-summary/7643

Chipper Fan
3 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Hard to tell but my wife and I are down behind the Fargo net on the Fargo goal. They didn't catch me rolling my eyes and muttering to myself about stopping McLaughlin. The 5 goals from Fargo last night were promising considering they were missing their top two wings. 

Mr Ricochet

Stars Site  Musketeers @ Stars Preview

The Stars have put a focus on reducing penalties, and in their recent stretch they’ve succeeded in lowering their numbers. The team has allowed at most five power plays in each of his last three games and four times in their last six games. Coincidentally, the Stars penalty kill has risen to second in the USHL and their average penalty minutes plummeted from 28.92 on December 1 to 23.50, which is the lowest of the season. While the Stars still lead the USHL in penalty minutes, they have steadily come closer to allowing Muskegon, who owns second in minutes (547) and average minutes (21.04), to overtake them in that category

The Sioux City Musketeers continued their hot run last night with a 5-4 overtime loss to the Tri-City Storm, and while the result was a loss the team now has points in six-straight games with a 5-0-1-0 record. A large aid in the point run comes from goaltender Matt Jurusik, who has started in eight-straight games. The Chicago, Ill. native ended a six-game run of only conceding two or fewer goals and earned USHL Goaltender of the Week on December 18. In that span, the team is 5-2-1-0 and has moved into sixth place from eighth in the Western Conference. 

MuskiesFan4Ever

SC Musketeers locker room.

Musketeers_LockerRoom.jpg

Mr Ricochet

Very nice, Muskie.  Nice room..........