MuskiesFan4Ever

Rules question

MuskiesFan4Ever

For those in the know... are there any rules about a goalie taking loose snow and building it into piles in front of the net and/or out along the crease line?

Just wondering... I was shown a video of the Omaha goalie doing this during the game against SC and wondered about the legality of doing that.

Thanks

redwing77
32 minutes ago, MuskiesFan4Ever said:

For those in the know... are there any rules about a goalie taking loose snow and building it into piles in front of the net and/or out along the crease line?

Just wondering... I was shown a video of the Omaha goalie doing this during the game against SC and wondered about the legality of doing that.

Thanks

I've seen this happen in college hockey.  It would make sense that it would be illegal but I've never seen a penalty called on it.  The funny thing is, UND players noted it and, after the faceoff was brought out of the UND offensive zone (I forget which team UND was playing at the time), a UND forward skated over and "shot" the snow into the goal.  The crowd loved it, of course. 

Not much was made of it other than that, for that particular example at least.

I maintain this, though, with any rule infraction.  If the ref isn't going to call it, it doesn't matter if the rule exists or not.  That's why I understand diving.  I don't like diving.  In fact, I detest it, but if the ref isn't going to call you for diving and the result of the dive is a power play for your team, then the player is going to dive.  Just that simple.

casemagnum

There is also a video I could produce of him building up the snow pile. Has done it in 2 games this year at least.

IMG_20171231_202138660.jpg

IMG_20171231_201954981.jpg

IMG_20171231_201707359.jpg

IMG_20171231_201656525.jpg

Mr Ricochet

Nice add case.  Every goalie moves the snow from his crease to the post and has forever but piling it up where the end line and crease line meet as Driscoll is doing is new to me.  Anything for an edge and IMO it's up to the opposition to make the ref aware. 

casemagnum

I have some better video of him specifically doing it as well but we all know what the league thinks of video lol.

This is not a little pile of him doing it. It has been 4+ inches high and 12-18 inches long on both sides.

BackCheck
10 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

For further reference it's 610 G on page 63 in the current USA Hockey Junior Rulebook.

A minor penalty for delay of game shall be assessed to a goalkeeper who drops the puck into his pads or onto the goal net or deliberately piles up snow or obstacles near the goal that, in the opinion of the Referee, could prevent the scoring of a goal.

I'd say that qualifies but if the refs don't notice it and the opposing team doesn't call it out, not much you can do.

Jimmythegreek
11 hours ago, casemagnum said:

There is also a video I could produce of him building up the snow pile. Has done it in 2 games this year at least.

IMG_20171231_202138660.jpg

IMG_20171231_201954981.jpg

IMG_20171231_201707359.jpg

IMG_20171231_201656525.jpg

Great catch

MuskiesFan4Ever

Interesting... so there is a rule.  Now I have to wonder what "opinion" the ref would need to see a goalie doing this as a penalty?

The snow didn't accidentally pile up there... it was intentionally being piled by the Omaha goalie and I'd find it hard to believe the ref didn't see those snow piles when down at that end of the ice... if anything the ref should have at least went over and removed those piles with his skate during face-offs at that end and warned the goalie not to do it again.  Better yet, a Muskies player should have went over and kicked the piles away.  LOL

WahooLancer

Never seen a penalty called.  I have seen the linesmen kick snow away a ton.  Less of a problem now than it used to be as with FASTHOCKEY or whatever internet video covers the Omaha Lancers, we have TV timeouts at least twice a period where kids come out and clean the goal creases.  

Interesting that some opposing player has not come down during a faceoff in that end and just cleared the snow himself.

Tom

Wahoo, NE

redwing77

To be brutally honest, I feel that the kids who do the clearing of the snow in Omaha do a rather poor job of it.  Half the time it seems all they do is rearrange the snow to sit outside of the crease rather than in their shovels.