Mr Ricochet

Chicago Steel Make Coaching Change and Sign Developmental Agreement

Mr Ricochet

Steel Site  Link

Ryan Cruthers has been named Interim Head Coach and Assistant General Manager of the Chicago Steel, effective immediately, and the team has parted ways with Head Coach Mark Abalan. Ryan brings a track record of success in both player development and team achievements as a head coach and general manager in junior and professional hockey, and enjoyed a distinguished college and professional playing career. [/url]

Gotta spin around the internets but it seems Cruthers was coaching the USPHL Premier Charlotte Rush: http://www.eliteprospects.com/staff.php?staff=21105

Mr Ricochet

Best of luck to coach Abalan!! 

Mr Ricochet
2 minutes ago, Ironranger said:

Do you know why Abalan left? 

No idea, completely out of left field in that I didn't even get a heads up as a rumor.  ...... I will say I really liked the way the club looked in the loss to MUS on Sunday.  Spirited full throttle hockey. 

Something is sideways as the Steel have the 6th best win percentage in the league, they went out of the organIzation for a replacement and we're near 1/2 way into the season. 

Ironranger
1 minute ago, Mr Ricochet said:

No idea, completely out of left field in that I didn't even get a heads up as a rumor.  ...... I will say I really liked the way the club looked in the loss to MUS on Sunday.  Spirited full throttle hockey. 

Wow.....This league is crazy! So many moves....players and even staff....Definitely "What have you done for me lately?" mentality. 

smalt21

Muse had brought over Abalan over from SSM, so when Muse left for Nashville, maybe "writing was on the wall".

OR-- maybe he wasn't playing Owner's son enough........(JK)

Mr Ricochet
14 minutes ago, Chipper Fan said:

This makes no sense to me. 

We'll find out soon enough.  Many from SC told me the Steel were getting a good one in Abalan, on the ice they're the only club in the East playing .600 hockey although they are 4-6 last 10........ There was a hiccup 5-6 games back where coach had enough healthy players but didn't dress the full 21.  Guess he was trying to get a message across and I'm always ok with that.  Other than a couple games I thought the effort was there every game.  Kids played hard, Dugan and McLaughlin are flourishing under him although the rumor is 01 Budgell is leaving for the QMJHL and is the only sign of disconnect between coach and player I know of. 

Mr Ricochet
7 minutes ago, Maiden said:

This has owner vs coach written all over it.

5 minutes ago, smalt21 said:

Muse had brought over Abalan over from SSM, so when Muse left for Nashville, maybe "writing was on the wall".

OR-- maybe he wasn't playing Owner's son enough........(JK)

There are two Robbins boys on the roster.  If that's the case we'll soon see just by the personnel employed by the new coach.  And if that's the case never gonna get top flight coaching to come.  And if that's the case put me in the Mark Abalan fan club. 

Maiden

Just spoke to someone who wished to remain anonymous who knew first hand Abalan and Robbins have been feuding for most of the season.

This situation appears to have been a ticking time bomb that happened to detonate over past few days.

Mr Ricochet
26 minutes ago, Chipper Fan said:

This makes no sense to me. 

We'll find out soon enough.  Many from SC told me the Steel were getting a good one in Abalan, on the ice they're the only club in the East playing .600 hockey although they are 4-6 last 10........ There was a hiccup the last 5-6 where coach had enough healthy players but didn't dress the full 21.  Guess he was trying to get a message across and I'm always ok with that.  Other than a couple games I thought the effort was there every game.  Kids played hard, Dugan and McLaughlin are flourishing under him although the rumor is 01 Budgell is leaving for the QMJHL and is the only sign of disconnect between coach and players I know of. 

Mr Ricochet
1 minute ago, Maiden said:

Just spoke to someone who wished to remain anonymous who knew first hand Abalan and Robbins have been feuding for most of the season.

This situation appears to have been a ticking time bomb that happened to detonate over past few days.

Only watched an Abalan coached team for 25 games but feel very confident he'll land on his feet.  As far as ice time love the way he moved em along slowly, too slow for me but I'm a slug.  Mastro and Seyfert rotating into the 4th line to open the season and slowly moved up to the top 6.  Vidgren moved from wing to center and the team took off.  Bucek on fire to start, uneven 7-8 games and moved down to the 3rd line.  Shore a tough uneven 5 games moved from 1 to 2C.  Abruzzuse began rotating into the 4th line now centering McL and Dugan.

Really I like every move he's made although like any fan question the effort of some.  Also like he didn't panic in game.  No line juggler by nature but would do so if he saw something but not every time he got down a goal or two. 

Chipper Fan

Fargo gets first crack at the Steel after these changes. I can only hope this sucks the life out of the Steel ... for this weekend at least! 

Mr Ricochet
6 minutes ago, Chipper Fan said:

Fargo gets first crack at the Steel after these changes. I can only hope this sucks the life out of the Steel ... for this weekend at least! 

Yep, the champs invade for a back to back in the tundra.  Can't wait to see the Steel on the Fargo feed/experience.  IMO a good test and measuring stick for both clubs.

Jimmythegreek

I know that I previously posted in a different thread ( can't find it ) that there was going to be a problem with the owners kid on team and someone was saying that his son belonged.

I also stated that there was going to be a problem ....if there wasn't one already 

Mr Ricochet
13 hours ago, casemagnum said:

Wow is all I can say for now.

13 hours ago, Jimmythegreek said:

I know that I previously posted in a different thread ( can't find it ) that there was going to be a problem with the owners kid on team and someone was saying that his son belonged.

I also stated that there was going to be a problem ....if there wasn't one already 

We really don't need anyone to tell us if the reason for axing Alaban was due to the owners kid's not playing and if the move was the right one.  The lineups and record from here on out will tell us, and we'll watch closely. 

Thru 24 games the club is 13-8-1-2, 2nd place in the East and are playing .604 hockey. 

2nd in PP, 23.6.

1st in PK, 87.9.

9th shots for, 29.54

14th shots against, 31.63

2nd in goals for, 3.58

13th goals against, 3.42

Opening night line chart at DBQ that was the beginning of .604 hockey thru 24 games under Abalan.

Autio the starter-Robbins the backup

Gratton-Shore-Dugan

McL-Magera-Bucek

Seyfert-Stevens-Vidgren

Mastro-Budgell-Goehering

Walker

The last chart before the break.

Autio starts, Robbins backs up

McL-Shore-Bucek

Vidgren-Abru-Dugan

Mastro-Magera-Seyfert

Budgell-Stevens-Walker (12 forwards dressed)

99 Goalie J. Robbins, 2-3 (believe the 5 decisions were starts), 4.35 GA, 866 SPG.    5 starts constitute 20.8% of the starts.

00 winger A Robbins, 4 games, no goals, no assists, + - is even. 

Now we watch and keep score. 

Jimmythegreek

This isn't my 1st rodeo with this stuff and I'm sure it's not everyone elses either

I've / we've all seen this stuff with owners buying teams so their kids' have a place to play ,,,,,,,, See Flint in OHL 2 yrs ago when players wouldn't play when owner fired coach, John Gruden, for not playing his kid.

I said it before and I'll say it again .... Robbins wouldn't own a USHL team if he didn't have his own kids playing.

Maiden
1 hour ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Thru 24 games the club is 13-8-1-2, 2nd place in the East and are playing .604 hockey. 

.604 hockey was built solely on a 6-1 October start with a 40% power play percentage.

Since then 7-10 and power play down to 23% on the season. 5 on 5 they are a train wreck. Majority of players are minus players this season.

Maybe the GM didn't like the direction of the team (downward) and decided to make a change to rescue the season.

Mr Ricochet
21 minutes ago, Maiden said:

.604 hockey was built solely on a 6-1 October start with a 40% power play percentage.

Since then 7-10 and power play down to 23% on the season. 5 on 5 they are a train wreck. Majority of players are minus players this season.

Maybe the GM didn't like the direction of the team (downward) and decided to make a change to rescue the season.

But to fit your argument you'd have to pick and choose what stretches you want of the Steel, or Black Hawks.  And who was the first to post the Steel PP, shots for and against were unsustainable to keep winning a month+ ago?   That your #1 C at a -10 was unsustainable.  This is not news.

But the PP sits at #2, PK #1 and they still rank #2 in GF.  There is too much talent for the numbers to fall too far.  And numbers don't happen in a vacuum and are often deceiving.  When they were clicking at 40-50% they are up a few goals and at 5 on 5 were protecting leads.  That skews numbers but is no excuse for 5 on 5 play that is sub par.  If you stop attacking to prevent then prevent.

And the eye test the last few vs WTL, DBQ and MUS is very good especially with the kids back from the WJAC. 

Few will not take a top 9:

McL-Shore-Dugan

Gratton-Vidgren-Bucek

Mastro-Aburuzzese-Seyfert

And a top 4 of:

Daschke-Stucker

Lilli-Kokkila

And Autio is solid at worst in goal. 

I have come to no conclusions for the change as mentioned and as said will let the numbers and line charts speak from here on out.  I've followed losing Steel teams for 8-9 yrs now and my concern is always long term.  If the Steel, or any team, have an owner dictating who is on the team, who is in the lineup long term top management and coaching will say thanks but no thanks, as they should.  It will cause splits in the room amongst players.  This is not a good thing long term if true.

This is 12 hrs old.  Lets see what transpires.