andyscanlon

USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game

Bigfoot
3 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

259 online watching on HTV.

Hoping 258 had better video feed then I did, kept freezing up for up to a couple of minutes throughout periods 2 and 3

Maiden
3 hours ago, CottonEyeJoe42 said:

Man the barn is super empty!

Think the league regrets this?

Explain to me again why this game isn't played in Omaha again?

H8t2lose

Well that did not take long for someone to question having the game in Kearney.  The way I understand it the bidding for these games take place a year in advance.  Part of that bid is a guaranteed payout to the league from the host site.  If anyone loses it is Kearney.  A Tuesday night game is tough to get a great attendance.  As an off ice official for this game it appears from all indications the whole event was a success.  With that said I'm going to give my thoughts on the game.  As we all know there is lots of talent in the USHL.  This game started slow but after the first intermission both teams picked up the tempo and played for the most part like they had been together for a while.  You really could not tell they had only one practice as a team.  Players that stood out were Tyler Madden (Tri-City), Philippe LaPointe (Lincoln), Ryan Savage (Fargo), Ben Copeland (Waterloo), and Ivan Prostvetov (Youngstown).  Prostvetov looked good in net.  Was in position and had some nice stops.  The others I mentioned have good puck handling skills, and skate well. I'm a bit bias with Maddsen because I see him more often but man he's good.  Savage handles the puck well and has good skating ability.  If he keeps developing like he is he's going to be fun to watch at the next level.  There were other guys who did well but these stood out too me.  

DM47
41 minutes ago, H8t2lose said:

Well that did not take long for someone to question having the game in Kearney.  The way I understand it the bidding for these games take place a year in advance.  Part of that bid is a guaranteed payout to the league from the host site.  If anyone loses it is Kearney.  A Tuesday night game is tough to get a great attendance.  As an off ice official for this game it appears from all indications the whole event was a success.  With that said I'm going to give my thoughts on the game.  As we all know there is lots of talent in the USHL.  This game started slow but after the first intermission both teams picked up the tempo and played for the most part like they had been together for a while.  You really could not tell they had only one practice as a team.  Players that stood out were Tyler Madden (Tri-City), Philippe LaPointe (Lincoln), Ryan Savage (Fargo), Ben Copeland (Waterloo), and Ivan Prostvetov (Youngstown).  Prostvetov looked good in net.  Was in position and had some nice stops.  The others I mentioned have good puck handling skills, and skate well. I'm a bit bias with Maddsen because I see him more often but man he's good.  Savage handles the puck well and has good skating ability.  If he keeps developing like he is he's going to be fun to watch at the next level.  There were other guys who did well but these stood out too me.  

Thanks for the report.  Didn't get a chance to watch the game.  I like the way Savage has progressed in the last month or so, he had kind of a slow  start to the season but is becoming much more of a stand out on the ice.

For the venue, I hate the thought of these big events being in the same city every year.  They should move around to give more fans a chance to go if they so choose and the sites a big event to promote.

TheShow
11 hours ago, CottonEyeJoe42 said:

Man the barn is super empty!

Think the league regrets this?

You must have forgotten when this game was played in Muskegon...

And they went back...

TheShow

Double post.

Edited by TheShow

TheShow
5 hours ago, H8t2lose said:

Well that did not take long for someone to question having the game in Kearney.  The way I understand it the bidding for these games take place a year in advance.  Part of that bid is a guaranteed payout to the league from the host site.  If anyone loses it is Kearney.  A Tuesday night game is tough to get a great attendance.  As an off ice official for this game it appears from all indications the whole event was a success.  

It being on a Tuesday is a huge reason I haven't gone since Dubuque.

Glad to hear it was a success though.

HockeyFan16

It was a pretty good turnout.  LOTS of people in the rafters, Storm Shelter (bar), boxes, and concourse.  But there were also a decent amount of people in the stands as well.  Especially for a Tuesday.

We watched some of the combine on Monday.  Ranta and Pospisil are FAST, especially for their size.  But neither were a factor in the game, other than Pospisil playing dirty and getting stuck in the box for the remainder of the game.

Was surprised to see a fight, but with both boys being irrelevant in the game, they must have seen that as their ticket to getting noticed.

Madden is skilled.  He is fast and sees the ice very well.  Lillibridge was another player that stood out.  He's small, but so good on the puck.  Very diligent and disciplined.

H8t2lose

It was also good to see fans from around the league in attendance representing their teams.  Besides Tri-City, I seen fans from Lincoln, Omaha, Sioux City, Des Moines, Youngstown, Central Illinois, Cedar Rapids, and Waterloo.  Two of the Waterloo fans were the winners of the free trip to see the game.  I'm sure I missed a team or two but overall it wasn't bad considering it being held on Tuesday.

HockeyFan16
18 minutes ago, CottonEyeJoe42 said:

Bring it back to Omaha or Sioux Falls where it’ll be full 

It was in Sioux Falls last year and wasn't full.

utgotye

Attendance last year was good considering it was a Tuesday evening in a city that isn't a major market nor is it hockey mad.  The lower bowl was mostly full.  Attendance figures I heard were 8000ish.  Whether that's true or not I don't know.  It didn't seem anymore full than the average Stampede game, perhaps even less so, and the Stampede average 6000+.

Many of these same issues apply to Kearney, perhaps even more so.  There's definitely advantages to having it in a larger market like a Omaha, Des Moines or Chicago or even a mid sized city like Sioux Falls or Lincoln.  That said, it does give smaller cities a chance to "show off".

OmahaHockeyFan

I'd be surprised if teams fight to host the game.  It takes a lot of effort and resources to pull off.  It's also during the most important part of the season for organizations.  

Rotating is nice though.  It's a blast to watch in person.  And I love seeing how different teams handle the event; from logo design to promotion.  Omaha gad a pretty good crowd,  but I don't think the game was mentioned once by local media.  You had no idea the game was scheduled unless you were a Lancer fan.  From a distance, it seemed like all of Kearney was involved in the game this year.

CottonEyeJoe42

Yeah SF didn’t fill to capacity, but we also have a huge capacity - id like to know PAID attendance for each of the last 5 years - take out any comped tickets and league freebies and such.

BA Photos
19 hours ago, Maiden said:

Explain to me again why this game isn't played in Omaha again?

Because Omaha didnt put in a bid to host it

redwing77

I'm wondering if they changed the day the game is held on to a weekend day, there would be better attendance.  I know that would conflict with the regular season and all.  I'm sure the Tuesday day is so that everyone who must travel has time to get to the location.

I like Omaha because it's a bigger city with many easy ways to get there.  I also like Sioux Falls because the facility is beautiful and it is quite literally 5 minutes from the airport.

But I think that having the game on a weekend would increase attendance far more than just limiting it to Omaha or Sioux Falls.

iowaninja

It would also either add a week to the schedule or add a couple more weeknight games for every team, I think they are trying to avoid both of those 

MuskiesFan4Ever
19 hours ago, redwing77 said:

... But I think that having the game on a weekend would increase attendance far more than just limiting it to Omaha or Sioux Falls.

It seems as of late with these "special" events (Fall Classic, Top Prospects) the USHL sees fan participation as irrelevant.