Jump to content
DEADpanBUC

Des Moines Goalies

Recommended Posts

MadhouseOnHickman
58 minutes ago, jimindm said:

Well I am not sure how you want to call it, but coach certainly does go after defense guys that play offensively.

Injuries have caused them to juggle lines. I sort of think that these two are kind of the last men off, on shift changes. You do not have to watch to many games to see which defense guys are not afraid to get in deep, and which ones kind of start there but do not actually ever get there.

I think it really gets down to the forwards have to be aware when they see what is happening and drop back. I also believe that just the coaching style that Allison plays, he certainly depends a lot on the goalie. Having said that I think the goalies do pretty good with one skater, but several times a game it is two or three coming down the ice at them.  

I noticed this weekend that many times in the 4-4, that we had three offense on the ice. It burned them most of the time

I have to say so far Fargo burned them the most. It seemed like every time they got control in the defensive zone, they were looking for the one breaking through neutral ice. I lost track of the odd man rushes, and the points on the scoreboard showed it too.

Great points Jimi, I highlighted the story of our season thus far.... I watch every game I cannot attend in person on hockeytv. The defensive breakdowns are happening in the neutral zone, one defender will pinch hard to keep puck in zone and leaves other dman and goalie out to dry. I understand this worked with Ferraro last season but he also worked his butt to get back on D. Allison has already used a lot of his transactions, will be interesting to see if they add another forward if we cannot stay healthy. Getting Otto back is a huge get, brings a two way game that really impressed me in the pre season. The talent is there on this team, just need to get healthy and get a winning streak going....

Edited by MadhouseOnHickman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jimindm

I think the bucs have made their last two seasons on winning streaks. One year they won like 12 or so games out of the gate.

Otto certainly would bring back some face off wins, but I think many times he tries to do to much on his own. It is a team sport.

I am no coach by any means, but I watch a lot of hockey on TV. You can say they are just PBP guys, but many have played the game at the highest level. The one thing they say over and over, is a defence guy should shoot the buck on the ice towards the net. Much easier to get around skates, legs and sticks, than big bodies. It also help in a redirect. Ours seem to shoot at logos on opposing players jerseys.

One other thing they say is you can not score if you do not shoot the puck. They talk about this a lot in two goal games, when one team has not solved a goalie in 50 minutes and they simply need to shoot the puck.

I think one problem is the bucs let other teams dictate how they play their game. This weekend was a good example. Even Mr R. commented that the bucs looked good and was not sure a chicago team could have won. To turn around and and look like a complete different team for Saturday's game.

I am sure coach runs some plays, but you just do not see much of it. I have noticed on PP, chicago did it all night long, and fargo did it the week before, they would skate the puck up to the blue line and pass it back and they would take it deep into the zone. They did it time and time again. Our PP just seems confused most of the time. 

As far as our goalies, I think when they play with confidence they are great. I just seems they have a hard time shaking a goal off. Snowden played a great game friday, and then allowed two goals seconds the next night.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadhouseOnHickman
12 hours ago, jimindm said:

I think the bucs have made their last two seasons on winning streaks. One year they won like 12 or so games out of the gate.

Otto certainly would bring back some face off wins, but I think many times he tries to do to much on his own. It is a team sport.

I am no coach by any means, but I watch a lot of hockey on TV. You can say they are just PBP guys, but many have played the game at the highest level. The one thing they say over and over, is a defence guy should shoot the buck on the ice towards the net. Much easier to get around skates, legs and sticks, than big bodies. It also help in a redirect. Ours seem to shoot at logos on opposing players jerseys.

One other thing they say is you can not score if you do not shoot the puck. They talk about this a lot in two goal games, when one team has not solved a goalie in 50 minutes and they simply need to shoot the puck.

I think one problem is the bucs let other teams dictate how they play their game. This weekend was a good example. Even Mr R. commented that the bucs looked good and was not sure a chicago team could have won. To turn around and and look like a complete different team for Saturday's game.

I am sure coach runs some plays, but you just do not see much of it. I have noticed on PP, chicago did it all night long, and fargo did it the week before, they would skate the puck up to the blue line and pass it back and they would take it deep into the zone. They did it time and time again. Our PP just seems confused most of the time. 

As far as our goalies, I think when they play with confidence they are great. I just seems they have a hard time shaking a goal off. Snowden played a great game friday, and then allowed two goals seconds the next night.     

One thing I just noticed, we have the fewest penalty minutes in the Western Conference. Surprisingly our PP is ranked third in the conference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadhouseOnHickman

Christian Stoever got his first junior A win. This was a smart start for Allison against a struggling team. From what I saw last night on hockeytv (feed was very much improved) Stoever really did well in his first start. This will only build confidence for the kiddo.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chipper Fan

While we're on the topic of goalies, I would like some insight from some of you longtime USHL-watchers about how goalies are developed in this league. Obviously, this isn't the NHL where it can take years and a lot of luck for a goalie to blossom (cough, cough Malcom Subban). When a player is 15-16 years old, what is a USHL talent evaluator looking at? And how is it that someone like Fargo's Strauss Mann ('98 birth year) slips through the cracks for several years? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet
On 12/9/2017 at 2:34 PM, Chipper Fan said:

While we're on the topic of goalies, I would like some insight from some of you longtime USHL-watchers about how goalies are developed in this league. Obviously, this isn't the NHL where it can take years and a lot of luck for a goalie to blossom (cough, cough Malcom Subban). When a player is 15-16 years old, what is a USHL talent evaluator looking at? And how is it that someone like Fargo's Strauss Mann ('98 birth year) slips through the cracks for several years? 

Speaking for myself, a foundation.  To me a foundation is a 3 legged stool.  Skating, square, balance.  Can't have have #'s 2 and 3 without #1, skating, and can't stop pucks consistently without all 3.  If I were looking for a goalie that's where I would start. A kid in balance and square.  From there you teach him technique. 

As far as Mann just look at the NAHL.  Plenty of those kids could be up at this level, IMO.  With the influx of Euro goalies into the league after Major Junior banning them 4-5 yrs back kids like Mann get pushed down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet

And Chip I'd bet a scout's eye would look for things like a kid who has an innate ability to track a puck, read a play.  Things you're either born with or aren't.  Many forget a goalie is a hockey player in that one with a high IQ is like a skater with a high IQ.  He's a good hockey player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadhouseOnHickman
12 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

And Chip I'd bet a scout's eye would look for things like a kid who has an innate ability to track a puck, read a play.  Things you're either born with or aren't.  Many forget a goalie is a hockey player in that one with a high IQ is like a skater with a high IQ.  He's a good hockey player. 

great insight ricochet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chipper Fan
14 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

And Chip I'd bet a scout's eye would look for things like a kid who has an innate ability to track a puck, read a play.  Things you're either born with or aren't.  Many forget a goalie is a hockey player in that one with a high IQ is like a skater with a high IQ.  He's a good hockey player. 

Thanks for the insight, MrRichochet. This is exactly why I come to this group, to learn more about the league. I'll have to pay attention to the goalies in Fargo's summer camp next year to look for these things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×