Jump to content
Mr Ricochet

What Have You Noticed Around The USHL?

Recommended Posts

Mr Ricochet

Thought a thread about anything USHL would be helpful. 

Through week 6 the Storm have the top win percentage at .818 followed by the Steel at .773.  The weekend 2 game series with Waterloo at TC was a beauty with each team taking a 1-0 win.

Force lead with the best goal differential with a +16 followed by the Storm +13 and Chicago +10 (including giving up 10 to the U-17's).  The Americans have a +18.

Only 6 teams have a + goal differential, 3 in the East 3 in the West.   FAR, TC, OM, CHI, MAD and The Americans.    ....... Surprising that OM and especially MAD are in that group.

The Force lead the league in PIM. 

Fargo has played the most home games, 10 followed by Omaha 8 and Madison 7.

Waterloo has played the least at home with 3 (all losses) followed by DM, LIN and CR all with 4.

Tri City has allowed the least goals with 16, the next closest is Waterloo with 28. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i-pod

Will Muskegon finally start putting the puck in the net? They have one of the most talented teams in the league and they can't put the puck in the net. This weekend was a move in the right direction tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DM47

Fargo has 9 away games in 10 starting last night.  They have yet to lose on the road.  After giving up goals on the first 5 PK's opening night thry are back up to 6th in the league with a kill percentage of 83%.  They are 2nd in the league on the pp at 32%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet
7 hours ago, smalt21 said:

What are Steel going to do about the backup G?

Robbins is that guy right now.  After giving up 10 to the U-17's he got hurt in practice then got a start at home vs GB and stopped 32 of 37 in a shootout loss to Green Bay to get a point out of that game. ........ My opinion of him stays the same right now.  Kid deserves a look at the #2 based on his midget numbers and the eye test shows a fantastic skater who moves nicely and seems technically sound.  And as mentioned he looks good giving up 5 goals, which always seems to happen.

The #2 I wonder about is Peeters in YT.  The Chicago Blackhawks draft pick generally looks flat out bad, so much so the Phantoms just played 3 in 3 road games in two different cities and went with Prosvetov in all 3........ You may get away with that for awhile, the Phantoms needed the points, but you risk injury that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hockeyboy
9 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

 

Fargo has played the most home games, 10 followed by Omaha 8 and Madison 7

 

Sioux City has played 8 home games with only the first a win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
andyscanlon

CR currently has 5 wins, which is something they didn't accomplish until Jan 20th last season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
andyscanlon

Will Vegas draft pick Jiri Patera turn things around?  Currently 2-5 with 3.60 GAA and 0.896 SV%.  Given up 5 goals in 3 of his 7 starts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BackCheck
2 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

The #2 I wonder about is Peeters in YT.  The Chicago Blackhawks draft pick generally looks flat out bad, so much so the Phantoms just played 3 in 3 road games in two different cities and went with Prosvetov in all 3........ You may get away with that for awhile, the Phantoms needed the points, but you risk injury that way. 

Wouter Peeters looked bad in tryout camp, slow and clumsy. If he was able to get square to the shooter and use his size to take away the net he was great but if you got him moving it was a different story. I figured between then and season start he would get some good work with a goalie coach and things would be good. He missed most of the main camp for the Blackhawks prospects camp and I fugured they were working on things. A few people were absolutely stunned at how bad he was after his only preseason game, I had to convince them it was same guy who was the Blackhawks draft pick.

I can't tell you what's going on in  practice or if they're getting him some extra help from the goaltending coach Shane Clifford. Maybe there is some nagging injury or something, I just don't know. What I do know is that it's not in either the teams interest or the players interest to keep him on the roster with 0 confidence in him and not letting him play. We had the same issue last season and sent Darion Hanson to the BCHL mid-November after 6 games with a 1-4-0-0 record, a 3.91 GAA and a .846 SV%. He finished the season with the Vernon Vipers with a 1.84 GAA and a .945SV%, the best in the league in both and an invite to a NHL prospects camp.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the linesmen seem to be calling more major penalties? I've notice 3 times I think the linesman has notified the refs of a major penalty after a stoppage, which is probably about how many I usually see in a season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chipper Fan
10 hours ago, DM47 said:

Fargo has 9 away games in 10 starting last night.  They have yet to lose on the road.  After giving up goals on the first 5 PK's opening night thry are back up to 6th in the league with a kill percentage of 83%.  They are 2nd in the league on the pp at 32%.

You just brightened my Monday morning! 

Let's also not forget about that new first line. I thought last year Fargo had a killer first line, this one has a more diverse skill set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saints Fan 22

Jaxon Castor is 18th in Save percentage in the league at .892.   For a 3 year vet in the league, Saints are going to need a lot more out of him if they are going to compete in the East.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smalt21
8 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Robbins is that guy right now.  After giving up 10 to the U-17's he got hurt in practice then got a start at home vs GB and stopped 32 of 37 in a shootout loss to Green Bay to get a point out of that game. ........ My opinion of him stays the same right now.  Kid deserves a look at the #2 based on his midget numbers and the eye test shows a fantastic skater who moves nicely and seems technically sound.  And as mentioned he looks good giving up 5 goals, which always seems to happen.

 

Rico, I believe he is the Owner's son.  (Nepotism at it's finest)  The kid belongs (possibly) in the NAHL, facing lots of rubber, not in the USHL (IMO)

Playing the Owner's kid did not work out for Sioux City couple years back, where Gornet (A local kid to me) was not USHL caliber.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jimmythegreek
11 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Robbins is that guy right now.  After giving up 10 to the U-17's he got hurt in practice then got a start at home vs GB and stopped 32 of 37 in a shootout loss to Green Bay to get a point out of that game. ........ My opinion of him stays the same right now.  Kid deserves a look at the #2 based on his midget numbers and the eye test shows a fantastic skater who moves nicely and seems technically sound.  And as mentioned he looks good giving up 5 goals, which always seems to happen.

The #2 I wonder about is Peeters in YT.  The Chicago Blackhawks draft pick generally looks flat out bad, so much so the Phantoms just played 3 in 3 road games in two different cities and went with Prosvetov in all 3........ You may get away with that for awhile, the Phantoms needed the points, but you risk injury that way. 

If Robbins' son didn't play hockey would he own an USHL team ?

ABSOLUTELY NOT

Train wreck on way in locker room,  if not already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet
5 hours ago, smalt21 said:

Rico, I believe he is the Owner's son.  (Nepotism at it's finest)  The kid belongs (possibly) in the NAHL, facing lots of rubber, not in the USHL (IMO)

Playing the Owner's kid did not work out for Sioux City couple years back, where Gornet (A local kid to me) was not USHL caliber.....

 

 

2 hours ago, Jimmythegreek said:

If Robbins' son didn't play hockey would he own an USHL team ?

ABSOLUTELY NOT

Train wreck on way in locker room,  if not already

Greek, you can't say this with any certainty.  First thing Robbins did when he bought the team was take em to Russia.  Nothing to do with his boy.  Put up a new 4 sided digital scoreboard, nothing to do with his boy.  Went to Russia and got Stezka last yr, that ain't cheap, nothing to do with his boy.  This I can say with certainty.........And rumor has it that he's looking to be part of a new arena.

As far as the locker room goes a 10 yr old in Lincoln knows more about the Steel locker room in ANY yr than I do.  Can't comment, that kinda thing I could not possibly be less curious about.  I'm strictly a between the boards guy, 99% of the time.......... But have zero doubt without any inside dope that a player on any roster that doesn't belong from 6 yrs old on up will cause "talk". 

Look at Robbins' midget numbers, his SPG and down at the bottom his career highlights.  http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=353818

Going strictly by numbers this kid deserves a look at this level.  Now the eye test.  Without a full scouting report this kid has been coached and put in the work.  His skating is fantastic, he recovers very quickly, tracks nicely and is very technically sound (well coached).   The kid gave up TEN and his next game I saw live and could not detect any PTSD.  Tells me he has something going on between the ears......... And I've posted this a few times after seeing him in two camp games (gave up 8 one game) and two USHL games he looks good giving up 5-6-7 goals.  He always gives up 5+ but can say no really really week ones cuz he can skate therefore is in balance therefore square and is technical (coaching). 

In short he's no ankle bender, not even close.  IMO this kid has enough of a foundation and body of work at the midget level to be given a shot at #2.  He has a foundation to develop from. 

If this was Ricochet's Rockets my #2 would be Matt Ladd and Robbins would be getting #1 work as an 18 yr old in the NAHL, as you mention Greek. Ladd was a late cut in camp after taking SC to OT in GAME 1 of the Finals on the road, after coming back from a 2 month injury, playing his first game in months, was told day of game he's in and the goalie coach stayed back in Chicago for family reasons!!!!   I still say this kid keeping the Steel in Game 1 was the springboard to winning the cup.  Players had to think if our #2 took SC to OT under those circumstances we can beat these guys with our #1 and that proved true. 

He outplayed Robbins in camp.  But Robbins is the owner's son so he gets the shot.  But again IMO Robbins deserves a "look" and if he can't cut it move him out, but again the kid has a solid body of work.

Yea it has the chance to be a problem if Robbins can't cut it and he's rostered anyway.  Firstly Autio may get injured playing too many games and yes if the kid continues to give up 5+ every start the room will get divided.  ....... Was very interesting to see Alabon keep young Robbins in for all 10 goals against v the U-17's.  Purely as a Steel fan that tells me if Robbins can't cut it he'll be moved out. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iowa Blue's fan

Waterloo has disappointed me so far. They have 2 great goalies. Defense is fine. We need more offense. I don't think our older forwards are very good( except cates). I don't see that these 2 new forwards are going to help much. I would expect  we will trade our older goalie sometime to get some offense at the trade deadline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet
Just now, Iowa Blue's fan said:

Waterloo has disappointed me so far. They have 2 great goalies. Defense is fine. We need more offense. I don't think our older forwards are very good( except cates). I don't see that these 2 new forwards are going to help much. I would expect  we will trade our older goalie sometime to get some offense at the trade deadline. 

Loo seemed to be finding their identity but those two 1-0 games at TC last weekend, who I think is the #1 team right now, showed me they are solid.  ........ No doubt PK will add as needed.

I was gonna post this.  Tomek looked like he was gonna be the real deal, on paper.  3rd rd pick of the Flyers represented Slovakia in the WJC U-18 and WJC U-20 tournaments and a taste a North Dakota.  Kid is 2-3, a 3.07 and .885 SPG.

PK grabs 99 Jared Moe right out of MN HS in the 5th rd.  The lefty is 4-3, a 1.44 and a freakish .946 SPG!!   PK started him in both last weekend at TC shutting em out 1-0 and losing the next night 1-0 on a laser beam just under the crossbar from 10 ft.  ......... For now, and this kid doesn't look fluky at all, Moe is Loo's #1 and earned it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet
6 hours ago, Saints Fan 22 said:

Jaxon Castor is 18th in Save percentage in the league at .892.   For a 3 year vet in the league, Saints are going to need a lot more out of him if they are going to compete in the East.  

22, IMO Castor is just that, a .900 SPG guy in this league.  Asked that question to start the yr......  With that ownership group I can't understand why for the last couple yrs they haven't gone out and gotten a Stezka, Larsson, Kivlenieks or Kulbakov. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DM47
11 minutes ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Loo seemed to be finding their identity but those two 1-0 games at TC last weekend, who I think is the #1 team right now, showed me they are solid.  ........ No doubt PK will add as needed.

I was gonna post this.  Tomek looked like he was gonna be the real deal, on paper.  3rd rd pick of the Flyers represented Slovakia in the WJC U-18 and WJC U-20 tournaments and a taste a North Dakota.  Kid is 2-3, a 3.07 and .885 SPG.

PK grabs 99 Jared Moe right out of MN HS in the 5th rd.  The lefty is 4-3, a 1.44 and a freakish .946 SPG!!   PK started him in both last weekend at TC shutting em out 1-0 and losing the next night 1-0 on a laser beam just under the crossbar from 10 ft.  ......... For now, and this kid doesn't look fluky at all, Moe is Loo's #1 and earned it.

 

5 minutes ago, Mr Ricochet said:

22, IMO Castor is just that, a .900 SPG guy in this league.  Asked that question to start the yr......  With that ownership group I can't understand why for the last couple yrs they haven't gone out and gotten a Stezka, Larsson, Kivlenieks or Kulbakov. 

Boy this looks like a trade that needs to happen on Paper, Tomek to Dubuque.

Edited by DM47

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet
22 hours ago, i-pod said:

Will Muskegon finally start putting the puck in the net? They have one of the most talented teams in the league and they can't put the puck in the net. This weekend was a move in the right direction tho.

IMO they have the best defense top to bottom in the league.  In Del Gaizo, Bukes and Phillips they have 3 #1 Dmen.  Been very impressed with Nienhuis the last few games, Murphy and Evennau too.  Mobile and stout too. 

And yes even with Hakarranen back they may still struggle to score.... The Sheriff skated 1st line last game.  Real nice player but no 1st liner even with injuries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BackCheck
3 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

 

Greek, you can't say this with any certainty.  First thing Robbins did when he bought the team was take em to Russia.  Nothing to do with his boy.  Put up a new 4 sided digital scoreboard, nothing to do with his boy.  Went to Russia and got Stezka last yr, that ain't cheap, nothing to do with his boy.  This I can say with certainty.........And rumor has it that he's looking to be part of a new arena.

 

I watched Robbins a little at the Fall Classic. The kid stood out because of his (lack of) size. I like watching the smaller goalies who make up with speed and athletics. Anyone remember Arturs Irbe? Anyway, Robbins wasn't quite there but wasn't far off either and with a good defense he put up some decent numbers and did not look out of place. I wouldn't say he's the best #2 netminder I've seen but I wouldn't say he doesn't deserve a spot. Let's make it interesting, I'll trade Wouter Peeters for him right now.

3 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

IMO they have the best defense top to bottom in the league.  In Del Gaizo, Bukes and Phillips they have 3 #1 Dmen.  Been very impressed with Nienhuis the last few games, Murphy and Evennau too.  Mobile and stout too. 

And yes even with Hakarranen back they may still struggle to score.... The Sheriff skated 1st line last game.  Real nice player but no 1st liner even with injuries. 

Have to disagree with you here. I'm not a Philips hater but he's not quite what I would call a top defenseman. He makes some good plays but I've also seen him get burned for a few thus season against the Phantoms. His first game he got plain outworked on the boards and wasn't able to get back to the front before a goal was scored. Nothing to so with getting used to the new team, just beat down low. OK, it happens. Last game in Muskegon, Curtis Hall mugged him at the blueline for a breakaway goal. However, give Bray Crowder some credit on the blueline. He's big and can use it and also a pretty good puck mover. 

Also, I like Sheriff. I would have no issues if I were the Jack with him moving up to the top line with the injuries. I think he's one of those forwards who can fill in almost any situation. He might not always do great but I don't think he'll let you down either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet

Mentioned earlier in this thread that Madison is one of only 6 teams with a plus goal differential.  IIRC they have the most players with jr hockey experience of all clubs to start the yr. 

 

http://www.ushl.com/news_article/show/855395?referrer_id=2650688

 

Quote

The Madison Capitols have been playing extremely well as of late. They extended their winning streak to three games and are tied for fourth in the Eastern Conference with a 3-1 victory and weekend sweep of the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×