Mr Ricochet

What Have You Noticed Around The USHL?

Mr Ricochet

Just over 1/3 into the season only one team is playing .700 hockey, Tri City at .727.

Hottest team in the league last 10, Omaha 9-1 winning their last 8.  Next is YT 7-2-1 and Fargo at 7-3.  Muskegon is on a 4 game run and CR is 3-0-0-1.

Fargo by far is the best road team at 11-2, 5-5-1-1 at home. GB the best home record at 9-2 followed by TC at 9-3. 

andyscanlon

CR plays the next 7 of 9 games at home. Time to finally balance out their schedule (22 games played 14 away 8 home)

Mr Ricochet

WTL 4 game win streak, SC 5 game win streak, MUS 6 game win streak, GB 4-0-0-1 last 5. 

herbst20

Cedar Rapids is on a 7 game point streak. They are getting somewhat healthy now and should compete with anyone in the league.

Mr Ricochet
22 minutes ago, herbst20 said:

Cedar Rapids is on a 7 game point streak. They are getting somewhat healthy now and should compete with anyone in the league.

The eye test shows a much much improved Riders, no doubt.  I mentioned after seeing them 3 times the last 2 weeks they look like the Riders of old in that they are playing a Carlson speed game with support all over the ice.  To my eye when a Carlson team is "right" their positioning allows for low or poor shots against, transition and speed/support that allows for flow.

And from what I've seen both goalies could easily be #1's.  ...... I may be wrong on this but this Rider team shows much more physicality and push back than any other I can remember.  They are chippy. 

andyscanlon

5 points separates 1st and 6th place in the East.  Gonna be an exciting 2nd half. 

MadhouseOnHickman
23 minutes ago, andyscanlon said:

5 points separates 1st and 6th place in the East.  Gonna be an exciting 2nd half. 

Happy for your team! Carlson is the man

andyscanlon

Central Illinois playing 4th game in 5 days tonight. 

Chipper Fan

I am positively stunned by Fargo's scoring depth. In September there's no way I would have thought the Force would be leading the league in goal scoring at the halfway the mark. They've not had their top line of Loughran/Hebert/J S-S together much for the last month but the rest of the team has stepped up. I personally would like to see Eades go out and trade for another top-of-the-line shooter on the wings for the playoff run. However, they really look good. 

Mr Ricochet
18 minutes ago, Chipper Fan said:

I am positively stunned by Fargo's scoring depth. In September there's no way I would have thought the Force would be leading the league in goal scoring at the halfway the mark. They've not had their top line of Loughran/Hebert/J S-S together much for the last month but the rest of the team has stepped up. I personally would like to see Eades go out and trade for another top-of-the-line shooter on the wings for the playoff run. However, they really look good. 

Yes........  With Bell added on the backend their 4th best GA should improve.  Very impressed with Bell, and the whole D group,  the last two.  Game is slow for him at this level, his decisions are unhurried and excellent.  When all is said and done good chance we will look back and say this was their best addition in season. 

Come playoffs you want depth of scoring but if possible an elite top 3 if not top 6.  Remember though nobody could match SC's offense last yr, it was a fantasy like team offensively with a goalie who is playing in the NHL this yr.  I still say the Steel adding Jason O'Niell at the TDL last yr instead of a sexy point per game guy was a big difference in winning the cup.  A guy who was a captain, could play center and win a draw, play PP and PK and played in all 3 zones.  And he only had 3 points in the 14 games of the playoffs but played a big role............

Eades has won a cup in this league.  He knows what his group will need and try and add that whether it be scoring or an O'Niell type. 

Mr Ricochet

I'd also add that the Steel's highest points guy going into the playoffs last yr ranked 17th in the league but ended with 7 of the top 9 scorers in the playoffs and that includes the high flying Musketeers.  But must add that this thing went to OT in the last game......... You want the right FIT, whatever that may be for that particular group. 

Chipper Fan
9 minutes ago, Mr Ricochet said:

I'd also add that the Steel's highest points guy going into the playoffs last yr ranked 17th in the league but ended with 7 of the top 9 scorers in the playoffs and that includes the high flying Musketeers.  But must add that this thing went to OT in the last game......... You want the right FIT, whatever that may be for that particular group. 

As always, I enjoy getting your take on things Rico. The fit issue is interesting because Eades made a huge deal right after the top prospects game last year for Washe and Alftberg and then two minor trades at the deadline for Chaffee and Oneill. I don't have any proof but my sense is that the room last year wasn't strong. The Washe/Alfie trade was a great boost initially and then the season went off the rails. If a trade is made this year I just hope they get someone who can work with this group.

And Evan Bell looks like a far superior player this year than last. I wasn't his biggest fan last season but he looks amazing so far in his return.

hockeyboy

Sioux City has 9 powerplay goals on the season and they scored 3 of them on the same penalty.  

Mr Ricochet

Bradford:  After Jan 15th no USHL player without US citizenship can me moved (import trade deadline).  Jacks have 4 Euros. 

ushljackfan
2 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Bradford:  After Jan 15th no USHL player without US citizenship can me moved (import trade deadline).  Jacks have 4 Euros. 

And I'll keep all 4 thanks!