Mr Ricochet

What Have You Noticed Around The USHL?

Mr Ricochet
1 hour ago, DMBucshighlights said:

The top 4 in the west have played a combined 11 games more than the bottom 4 and the bottom 4 are only behind by around 10 or less points for the most part. I wouldn’t exactly call that pulling away.

Only 10 points? ..........   BucMan, the top 6 in the West are starting to distance themselves with DM and SC falling behind.  Look at the win percentage or losses (can't make up losses) not so much points.  The Bucs for instance have a win % of .406 which is 3rd worst in the whole league, SC .367%. All 6 teams above them in the West have a .500% or better.

SC has a  goal differential of -18 the Bucs -12.  No other team in the West is below even.  ........ I will concede I don't know the strength of schedules or looked up how many each played at home but by any measure SC and DM are falling behind at the 1/4 pole. 

Mr Ricochet
1 hour ago, Chipper Fan said:

How is it that Tri-City is tops in the league winning percentage wise? Were they expected to be this good coming into the year? I see that former Force forward Charlie Dovorany had the game-winner in OT against Sioux City on Friday. 

Read thru a bit.........  Tri City is ready to pop: 24 of 30 players are aged 18 or 19 while 4 players are aged 17 and 2 players are aged 20. Similar to Sioux Falls, they have 15 USHL returners, 20 total players with junior hockey experience and 4 draftees coming from Europe.

DMBucshighlights
11 minutes ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Only 10 points? ..........   BucMan, the top 6 in the West are starting to distance themselves with DM and SC falling behind.  Look at the win percentage or losses (can't make up losses) not so much points.  The Bucs for instance have a win % of .406 which is 3rd worst in the whole league, SC .367%. All 6 teams above them in the West have a .500% or better.

SC has a  goal differential of -18 the Bucs -12.  No other team in the West is below even.  ........ I will concede I don't know the strength of schedules or looked up how many each played at home but by any measure SC and DM are falling behind at the 1/4 pole. 

I don’t think win percentage is a good judge of where a team is at. Almost 50% of DM games have been against Fargo and Tri City, the top two teams in the west. I will remind you that they have been going through injury issues as well. You’ve got Leitner and Otto (two of our best players) on IR. Hentges and Paquette have been out the last few weeks. Before that you had Brickey and Ugbekile (two really good defensemen) who missed a few games. But since you seem to like win percentage let me ask this. Are the top 5 in the east pulling away? Thought you liked Central Illinois a lot but their win percentage is below .500 and -11 goal differential. Even Muskegon in last is only 6 points out of third. I can’t say I see a dominant team in the league this year which is all the more reason to believe that anything is possible, especially still early on.

Chipper Fan
23 minutes ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Read thru a bit.........  Tri City is ready to pop: 24 of 30 players are aged 18 or 19 while 4 players are aged 17 and 2 players are aged 20. Similar to Sioux Falls, they have 15 USHL returners, 20 total players with junior hockey experience and 4 draftees coming from Europe.

Thanks for sharing this. The more I follow this league, the more I appreciate the cyclical nature of building/re-building with youth and USHL veterans. In some ways, this reminds me of college sports where a great recruiting class just needs a year of experience to really get going. Tri-City/Fargo should make for a compelling race atop the west ... provided Sioux Falls doesn't wreck things. 

Mr Ricochet
4 minutes ago, DMBucshighlights said:

I don’t think win percentage is a good judge of where a team is at. Almost 50% of DM games have been against Fargo and Tri City, the top two teams in the west. I will remind you that they have been going through injury issues as well. You’ve got Leitner and Otto (two of our best players) on IR. Hentges and Paquette have been out the last few weeks. Before that you had Brickey and Ugbekile (two really good defensemen) who missed a few games. But since you seem to like win percentage let me ask this. Are the top 5 in the east pulling away? Thought you liked Central Illinois a lot but their win percentage is below .500 and -11 goal differential. Even Muskegon in last is only 6 points out of third. I can’t say I see a dominant team in the league this year which is all the more reason to believe that anything is possible, especially still early on.

Ok............ I know you will scrounge for any stat that will support your Bucs.  If you were on my side of the debate for instance you would say CR has had more injuries than you and 5 home games and 10 road games compared to the Bucs'  7 home 9 road with a better win%.  If you want a real look at why teams are where they are instead of looking for reasons to justify you have to look at each teams' inside the stats/record.  No doubt injuries, home games and strength of schedule factors in but do so for all teams not just 1  ..  So I'll leave it at you not seeing win percentage as a good judge indicator and move along. 

And since you mentioned it CI was the best team I saw thru 5-6-7 games and notated that even so it's veeeery early.  My guess was the team isn't resourced in a way to sustain and improve but play a high flying attack style that was faster, more structured and layered than any team I saw. 

Muskegon is 6 points out of 3rd?  You mean with 4 teams to jump while being 15th in scoring and 14th in goals allowed? 

Tell me what you for for the champs and the champs not withstanding the misleading stat of having the 2nd best win% in the league? 

Mr Ricochet
17 minutes ago, Chipper Fan said:

Thanks for sharing this. The more I follow this league, the more I appreciate the cyclical nature of building/re-building with youth and USHL veterans. In some ways, this reminds me of college sports where a great recruiting class just needs a year of experience to really get going. Tri-City/Fargo should make for a compelling race atop the west ... provided Sioux Falls doesn't wreck things. 

Not all Chip.  DBQ, WTL reload never rebuild.  Cornerstone franchises IMO.  ....... Hopin the Steel can get to that level.  ...... IIRC Noreen was like that as well, to a degree, in Ytown. 

Mr Ricochet

And IIRC Fargo was on a helluva run their first 4-5 yrs.

BackCheck

Youngstown had a pretty good November. Of the 18 total points on the table this month, we earned 15. The 3 points we didn't get were an OT and a regulation loss to the NTDP U18s. Wouter Peeters with the last 3 starts and has a 2.33 GAA and a .924 SV% in those 3 games.

DMBucshighlights
4 minutes ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Ok............ I know you will scrounge for any stat that will support your Bucs.  If you were on my side of the debate for instance you would say CR has had more injuries than you and 5 home games and 10 road games compared to the Bucs'  7 home 9 road with a better win%.  If you want a real look at why teams are where they are instead of looking for reasons to justify you have to look at each teams' inside the stats/record.  No doubt injuries, home games and strength of schedule factors in but do so for all teams not just 1  ..  So I'll leave it at you not seeing win percentage as a good judge indicator and move along. 

And since you mentioned it CI was the best team I saw thru 5-6-7 games and notated that even so it's veeeery early.  My guess was the team isn't resourced in a way to sustain and improve but play a high flying attack style that was faster, more structured and layered than any team I saw. 

Muskegon is 6 points out of 3rd?  You mean with 4 teams to jump while being 15th in scoring and 14th in goals allowed? 

Tell me what you for for the champs and the champs not withstanding the misleading stat of having the 2nd best win% in the league? 

To be fair, you do see far more of this league than I do. I only see teams when they play the bucs or if the league decides to post some videos to twitter and that’s about it. I can’t justify paying $30 a month or $200 a year for only 25 or so games I would watch in that year. Plus it seems HockeyTV doesn’t always work but of course no refunds because you have hundreds of other games to watch. Lol I digress. I wasn’t trying to say Muskegon is good or bad I’m just saying the points say they are still close for now. As far as the champs I think they are pretty good. Then again I haven’t seen them yet. I’ll know more next week. Guess I should have been more clear that win percentage isn’t always a great indicator for every team. Wasn’t trying to say that it doesn’t have any merits because of course it does.

Mr Ricochet
2 hours ago, BackCheck said:

Youngstown had a pretty good November. Of the 18 total points on the table this month, we earned 15. The 3 points we didn't get were an OT and a regulation loss to the NTDP U18s. Wouter Peeters with the last 3 starts and has a 2.33 GAA and a .924 SV% in those 3 games.

Who da thunk it?   Water finds its level and it'll be interesting to see how Peeters ends up.

Mr Ricochet
4 hours ago, DMBucshighlights said:

To be fair, you do see far more of this league than I do. I only see teams when they play the bucs or if the league decides to post some videos to twitter and that’s about it. I can’t justify paying $30 a month or $200 a year for only 25 or so games I would watch in that year. Plus it seems HockeyTV doesn’t always work but of course no refunds because you have hundreds of other games to watch. Lol I digress. I wasn’t trying to say Muskegon is good or bad I’m just saying the points say they are still close for now. As far as the champs I think they are pretty good. Then again I haven’t seen them yet. I’ll know more next week. Guess I should have been more clear that win percentage isn’t always a great indicator for every team. Wasn’t trying to say that it doesn’t have any merits because of course it does.

Before fancy stats my go to was goal differential, fewest losses, win %, plus minus and how many teams my team has to climb over.  ...... Yea man 200 bucks is a lot of dough.  I got the NHL package every yr for 125 bucks and this yr got hockey tv instead.  You can get every NHL game for free on nhl streams.com by the way....... Love watching the whole USHL but agree 200 is expensive.

Been watching and thinking about the Steel's hot start.  IMO they are due for a correction acknowledging there are always outliers and this team has talent to overcome a lot of things.  But just the same IMO their record compared to their stats says somethin has to correct.

Their goal differential is skewed by the 10 given up by Robbins in one game as they are a +8.  He usually gives up 5 so if you adjusted for that 10 goal outlier game they are a +13 which is still good.  FAR is a +21 and TC a +15.  Only TC and CHI have a .700 win %.

Steel are relying on special teams and have built their record on it.  They are -14 as a team meaning at even strength they have given up 14 more goals than they scored.  In comparison Fargo is an astounding +94, OM +38, LIN, +29,TC +29, CI +13 and DM on the bad side -62. 

Steel PP was at 50%, then the 40's and now at 28.8% Just ahead of SF at 27.8%.  We knew it wouldn't even stay in the 30's but it has corrected. 

The PK can and should stay solid at 88.9% ranked #1.  Autio with the 5th best save percentage in the league is a major reason for the top ranked PK. 

Steel score the most, excluding USA, over 4 per game while shooting the 11th most.  That should correct a bit as their shooting % has to be high.  Goals for 1st, shots for 11th.

The defensive side seems correct.  12th in goals allowed and 12th in shots allowed. 

Steel are 3-4 last 7 with points in two shootout losses and an OT loss.  So IMO a correction has come and maybe a bit more too as their PP is no longer astronomical as their last 7 games show.  Defensive side at even strength needs to tighten up in both goals and shots allowed..  Allowing the 12 most goals per game won't win many cups.

One caveat.  IIRC the Indy Ice were about even in plus minus when they won their cup. 

Mr Ricochet

Tri City is 5-0 in 1 goal games, next best?  YT at 5-0-2-0.

utgotye

Pleased to see the balanced scoring and scoring depth from the Stampede.  Tied with the Steel for most players with at least 10 points.  In the three games last week SF scored 14 goals with 11 different players scoring goals.

captamer7
6 hours ago, hockeyboy said:

I think Sioux City is attempting to play the entire season with less than 23 guys. 

Haha I was thinking the same thing. Makes no sense to not at least have the minimum on the roster. It always seemed Varady had at least 2-3 extra guys in town at all times.

iowaninja

Cedar Rapids is going to need 6-8 extra guys if people don’t get back from injury next week when the WJAC takes 3 more skaters from them 

BackCheck
1 hour ago, DMBucshighlights said:

Mr Rico will be excited to hear this news:

https://twitter.com/bucshockey/status/935925212721307648?s=17

So by a quick look through HTV that leaves Youngstown, Cedar Rapids, Sioux City and Waterloo with SD feeds.

Now keep in mind some teams aren't actually shooting in HD, they're just up-scaling SD. You usually still get better quality in the end, less compression artifacts and it's usually deinterlaced correctly. Fargo is a good example.

Ironranger

Granted, I am biased. Yet Youngstown is the real deal. Now 2 goalies who can step up. A gritty team with some top skill guys. Patterson has done an unreal job keeping the focus and trusting his players. Add in they aren't afraid of a tight game......tough team to play. Lots of fun to watch. 

BackCheck

Youngstown has only lost consecutive games in regulation once this season, opening weekend. Just an observation.

DM47
3 hours ago, BackCheck said:

Youngstown has only lost consecutive games in regulation once this season, opening weekend. Just an observation.

Fargo has also not lost two consecutive games in regulation all season and has not lost two consecutive games in regulation or overtime since October 19th when they lost to Youngstown in a shootout and then a 2-1 regulation loss to Sioux Falls.  Fargo has not beaten Sioux Falls yet this year in 3 meetings, all 3 losses to Sioux Falls were in regulation.

redwing77

I've noticed that the Lancers are still considered in a rebuilding year with a new coach and already I think they're better than they've ever been the past two years.  It's early still and it may not mean much in the broad scheme of things, but...  that's what I noticed.

Mr Ricochet
7 hours ago, redwing77 said:

I've noticed that the Lancers are still considered in a rebuilding year with a new coach and already I think they're better than they've ever been the past two years.  It's early still and it may not mean much in the broad scheme of things, but...  that's what I noticed.

Posted a little while back the Lancers are flying under the radar.  Right now they are one of 6 non-NTDP teams playing .600 hockey.  That's good.