Mr Ricochet

What Have You Noticed Around The USHL?

Mr Ricochet
On 11/13/2017 at 8:12 AM, andyscanlon said:

Central Illinois PP/PK struggles...last in PP and 15th in PK

And they have the 4th best win percentage in the league at .577....... They get the special teams figured out and they're gonna be tough.  Still a fun watch as this team is high flying.

Conversely the Steel are 1st in PP and 3rd in PK. 

Mr Ricochet
On 11/13/2017 at 8:14 AM, andyscanlon said:

CR currently has 5 wins, which is something they didn't accomplish until Jan 20th last season

And how many of their top players are still out?  Last I knew 3 of their top 6 were out injured.  Who's back and who isn't?

Mr Ricochet
On 11/13/2017 at 10:33 PM, BackCheck said:

I watched Robbins a little at the Fall Classic. The kid stood out because of his (lack of) size. I like watching the smaller goalies who make up with speed and athletics. Anyone remember Arturs Irbe? Anyway, Robbins wasn't quite there but wasn't far off either and with a good defense he put up some decent numbers and did not look out of place. I wouldn't say he's the best #2 netminder I've seen but I wouldn't say he doesn't deserve a spot. Let's make it interesting, I'll trade Wouter Peeters for him right now.

Have to disagree with you here. I'm not a Philips hater but he's not quite what I would call a top defenseman. He makes some good plays but I've also seen him get burned for a few thus season against the Phantoms. His first game he got plain outworked on the boards and wasn't able to get back to the front before a goal was scored. Nothing to so with getting used to the new team, just beat down low. OK, it happens. Last game in Muskegon, Curtis Hall mugged him at the blueline for a breakaway goal. However, give Bray Crowder some credit on the blueline. He's big and can use it and also a pretty good puck mover. 

Also, I like Sheriff. I would have no issues if I were the Jack with him moving up to the top line with the injuries. I think he's one of those forwards who can fill in almost any situation. He might not always do great but I don't think he'll let you down either. 

BC I've watched the Chicago Blackhawks closely for the last 10 yrs.  I've seen Duncan Keith win the Norris trophy while continually shoot pucks into a forwards shins, hot potato the puck, unGodly turnovers and have full seasons of disinterest.   ........ It's just the nature of the position at elite levels when you try and defend world class skill and at this age group the USHL is world class skill. 

I don't think there is a GM or coach who wouldn't want Phillips in the lineup, except of course Fargo.

DM47
46 minutes ago, Mr Ricochet said:

BC I've watched the Chicago Blackhawks closely for the last 10 yrs.  I've seen Duncan Keith win the Norris trophy while continually shoot pucks into a forwards shins, hot potato the puck, unGodly turnovers and have full seasons of disinterest.   ........ It's just the nature of the position at elite levels when you try and defend world class skill and at this age group the USHL is world class skill. 

I don't think there is a GM or coach who wouldn't want Phillips in the lineup, except of course Fargo.

I wouldn't say Fargo didn't want him. He asked for the trade, Fargo is strong at D and was able to get good return for the future.

iowaninja
8 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

And how many of their top players are still out?  Last I knew 3 of their top 6 were out injured.  Who's back and who isn't?

They just got McLaughlin back, still out Polin and C rated skater Tj Walsh.   

andyscanlon
11 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

And they have the 4th best win percentage in the league at .577....... They get the special teams figured out and they're gonna be tough.  Still a fun watch as this team is high flying.

Conversely the Steel are 1st in PP and 3rd in PK. 

For sure!

2 hours ago, iowaninja said:

They just got McLaughlin back, still out Polin and C rated skater Tj Walsh.   

Yup, and they played both games this past weekend without Messina.  Not sure if he was injured or what. 

Ironranger
On 11/13/2017 at 8:26 AM, BackCheck said:

Wouter Peeters looked bad in tryout camp, slow and clumsy. If he was able to get square to the shooter and use his size to take away the net he was great but if you got him moving it was a different story. I figured between then and season start he would get some good work with a goalie coach and things would be good. He missed most of the main camp for the Blackhawks prospects camp and I fugured they were working on things. A few people were absolutely stunned at how bad he was after his only preseason game, I had to convince them it was same guy who was the Blackhawks draft pick.

I can't tell you what's going on in  practice or if they're getting him some extra help from the goaltending coach Shane Clifford. Maybe there is some nagging injury or something, I just don't know. What I do know is that it's not in either the teams interest or the players interest to keep him on the roster with 0 confidence in him and not letting him play. We had the same issue last season and sent Darion Hanson to the BCHL mid-November after 6 games with a 1-4-0-0 record, a 3.91 GAA and a .846 SV%. He finished the season with the Vernon Vipers with a 1.84 GAA and a .945SV%, the best in the league in both and an invite to a NHL prospects camp.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the linesmen seem to be calling more major penalties? I've notice 3 times I think the linesman has notified the refs of a major penalty after a stoppage, which is probably about how many I usually see in a season.

The difference between Peeters and Prosvetov is significant. There is no doubt about it. That being said, Prosvetov was a #1st round draft in the KHL, so his homeboys knew he was somebody. I have so much respect for the Blackhawks and their scouting/development I have to believe the same with Peeters. Possibly adjusting to life in North America is taking its toll, hard to say. Yet he seems definitely uncomfortable right now. He also seems like that trade that will come back and kick you in the shorts down the road.....

Edited by Ironranger
original did not come out right....fat fingers...

OmahaHockeyFan

Lancers use several unique offensive faceoff sets.  Last weekend, they put three players at the point on an early faceoff.  Green Bay was confused on their coverage, and Omaha scored quickly off a rebound.

Lancers aren't the most talented team.  Goaltending and results have been up and down.  But I'm very happy with coaching.  The team has made a lot of progress on special teams.  They've added some solid players without breaking their draft.  Effort and discipline have been excellent from the start.  I'm not sure I've even seen Wilkie talk to an official.  He's calm and too busy coaching to get worked up over calls.

I can definitely enjoy losses when coaches and players are competitive.

captamer7

Sioux City has only scored the first goal in a game once this season.....Opening Night.

BackCheck

Fargo has taken 104 shots more than they've given up, the next closest is Lincoln at 60.

Mr Ricochet
7 hours ago, BackCheck said:

Fargo has taken 104 shots more than they've given up, the next closest is Lincoln at 60.

Jesus........ FAR has taken 498 shots, only two other teams have taken more than 400.  GB 402 and SF 408.

Cheeeecago Steel have taken 310 and given up 358.

DBQ has given up the least with 267. 

Any game SF plays you wanna watch.  As mentioned they've taken the 2nd most shots at 408 but they've also given up the most at a whopping 476.  Only other club at even 400 is YT..... Lotta rubber flying in an SF game, and it's in High Def at home!!...... And Berdin has the 3rd best save percentage in the league at .939!!   And Berdin has faced 379 shots, only one other goalie has faced more than 300, Prosvatov of YT has faced.  ......Think Berdin is good? 

Mr Ricochet
On 11/13/2017 at 8:26 AM, BackCheck said:

Wouter Peeters looked bad in tryout camp, slow and clumsy. If he was able to get square to the shooter and use his size to take away the net he was great but if you got him moving it was a different story. I figured between then and season start he would get some good work with a goalie coach and things would be good. He missed most of the main camp for the Blackhawks prospects camp and I fugured they were working on things. A few people were absolutely stunned at how bad he was after his only preseason game, I had to convince them it was same guy who was the Blackhawks draft pick.

I can't tell you what's going on in  practice or if they're getting him some extra help from the goaltending coach Shane Clifford. Maybe there is some nagging injury or something, I just don't know.

Spinning around the internets I found some video of Peeters working on some things trying to get his game back.  I can already see some improvement.  4 shots, 3 saves bringing his SPG up and you can see the confidence building. 

BackCheck

Lol, wish Youngstown would do the wiener dog races...

Peeters came in last night to start the 2nd period against the NTDP U18s. Prosvetov gave up 4 on 11 shots in the first. After the 2nd Peeters had the exact same stats, 4 goals on 11 shots and played the 3rd pretty well, stopping the 7 shots sent his way. He wasn't pretty in net but it was something to build on. You have to figure if he hadn't come in cold, not having played a game since 10/28, he might have done a bit better. It's still early in the season but if he's going to stay with the team he's going to need to play. 

DM47
3 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Spinning around the internets I found some video of Peeters working on some things trying to get his game back.  I can already see some improvement.  4 shots, 3 saves bringing his SPG up and you can see the confidence building. 

Like the way he is coming out to challenge the shooter and take away the angle.

Mr Ricochet
1 hour ago, DM47 said:

Like the way he is coming out to challenge the shooter and take away the angle.

Indeed.  As mentioned his confidence is on the rise.  Challenging shooters is a sign of a confident goalie...  More work to do on positioning I'd say, he got a bit crooked and lost his crease on the wrister that got past him. 

Mr Ricochet

Sioux City has yet to win a game in regulation. Strand’s squad, 2-1 in shootouts and 2-1 in overtime, hasn’t been blanked in 13 games, but has been held to one goal six times.

Chipper Fan

Odd quirk in the schedule in that Fargo has played a few more games than anyone else. Second place (west) Tri-City and first place Chicago (east) both have three games at hand against the Force.

Even with the schedule imbalance, I like the direction Fargo is going in. Good depth all around, including in net with Strauss Mann pressing for more starts.