Jump to content
Mr Ricochet

USHL GDT (Thursday 11/9)

Recommended Posts

Mr Ricochet

Kucharski vs Bischel............ It took 10 minutes for DM to get a shot on goal.  10 minutes in no score SOG 9-1 Fargo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet

Force get a PP goal with 30 seconds left to lead after 1 period, 1-0.  Nice cross ice feed by Dman Farmer to Meyers at the left circle for a 1 timer one one knee.  Both Fargo PP's were dangerous with numerous chances that were saved or just missed the net.

SOG 15-7 Fargo.  PP Fargo 1-2, DM 0-1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DMBucshighlights
15 minutes ago, Maiden said:

Box score shows DM  skating 2 short.  Injuries???

Yup. Otto and Leitner on IR and Brickey injured as well. Mackinnon serving the 2nd game of a 2 game suspension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet

Don't think it was this way in the 1st period but new Buc Dickerson is skating with Lebster and Ellingson in the 2nd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet

Beauty set play by the Bucs of a faceoff while on the PP at 10:00 of the 2nd.  FO at the right dot, Ellingson pushes it thru  FAR center's legs, pounces on it and in one motion sends it across to Costello unmarked in the crease and he puts it in 5 hole.  Beauty play........ Impressed with Costello in this one.  Shows a lot of speed and skill, good size. 

1-1........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet

Bucs with a nice controlled 3-4-5 pass exit and entry, Napravnik carries it in right side, 30 foot cross ice feed thru 4 players, Hentges settles it at the left dot, wrister up and over Bischel's shoulder far side top shelf he saw all the way at 18:04........... 2-1 Bucs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet

Bucs turn it over just inside attack blue line, Loughran swoops and turns, up to Hebert, he carries it in full speed, spins at the right dot and feeds a supporting Loughran, he one times a pass up and across to the left dot, the kid from Denmark with 5 names is locked and loaded and 1 times it past Kucharski for his 10th on the yr.  Highlight reel play at 19:38.  2-2.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet

Period ends 2-2.  SOG 28-15, Force...........Both teams seem to have quick strike capabilities.  Turnovers go the other way quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
casemagnum
8 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Don't think it was this way in the 1st period but new Buc Dickerson is skating with Lebster and Ellingson in the 2nd. 

Mr. R. what did you think of Dickerson in this one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet
1 hour ago, casemagnum said:

Mr. R. what did you think of Dickerson in this one?

I'm just starting the 3rd period Case, but I do have thoughts on him.  Gimme an hour. .....Do you have Hockey TV?  I'd direct you to his shift at the 18:30 mark of the 2nd period.  He wears #27 and is playing RW and is a right shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet
3 hours ago, casemagnum said:

Mr. R. what did you think of Dickerson in this one?

Went back to look at the beginning of the 1st and indeed Dickerson started, and finished, the game with Lebster and Ellingson which is a top 6 line.  So Allison gave the kid top 6 minutes out of the box as a Buc.  We do know they have injuries to Brickey who is a top 6 guy and Leitner and Otto who I think are bottom 6 guys. 

Dickerson is 19 and played 150+ games in the OHL over the last 3 yrs, which means he played as a 16 yr old.  That's good.  He had 13 points in that time and was a minus player every yr and never had more than 33 PIM in any yr.  He's 5ft 11in 205lbs.  Looking at the numbers I would think a bottom 6 guy.  http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=291853

Allison moves him into the top 6 even though he only has 1 top 6 guy injured as far as I know.  Tells me Allison is short on depth.  Kid couldn't have had much practice time, no game time with DM and can't know the systems yet.

If you watch that shift I referenced he doesn't have the hands or feet to make skill plays often.  Allows plays to stay alive in his zone too often.  Doesn't show much compete in puck battles and seems to rather stay just outside the scrum waiting for the puck to squirt out.  On dumps not much on puck retrieval. Certainly not a bulldog puck hound.  Decent straightaway speed but sweeping turns instead of stopping and starting.  Showed good touch on 2 nice passes in stride to a teammate.  Was in the crease on Red Lobster's goal from 2 ft out.  On a sequence where a FAR Dman pinched and a forward covered his spot (that forward is now Dickerson's responsibility)  Dick didn't cover him as he kinda floated and the forward got off a prime chance unmarked at the circle as Dick watched (I see him watching a lot). 

Fantastic HD feed out of FAR allowed a much better look at he kid but my original opinion stands.  He doesn't have top 6 skills or the bulldog compete of a better bottom 6 guy.  Still haven't seen him throw a check in 3 games.  Doesn't retrieve pucks well, keep plays alive well or get pucks out well, didn't show awareness on basic coverage.  ........ That said he got 150+ games in the OHL and that should tell you something but the eye test in 3 games makes me wonder where he fits. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet

Force Site  Win streak ends at 6

“We’re getting good entries,” Eades said, “we’re getting good possession, and we’re moving the puck quickly. The good news is we got a power-play goal, the bad news is we only got two opportunities. We didn’t do enough over the full 60 minutes to force Des Moines to take any penalties.”

“We were on the perimeter and their goalie was sharp,” Eades said. “I don’t think we got to the scoring area much, and they boxed us out and tied us up real well.”

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet

Final shots were 45-21 Fargo and IMO those are real numbers.  Fargo dominated the 1st period, not allowing the first shot for 10 minutes.  Had much better zone time, possession and double or triple the scoring chances.  Fargo gave up 6 shots in the 3rd but 2 went in.  The 3rd goal, game winner, Red Lobster battled in the crease to get a backhand off on a rebound of a stuff attempt that was saved and bounced off of Fargo's Svejstrup.  The wrister scored by Hentges from the circle Bischel had time to set his feet and saw it all the way.  Nicely placed shot but Bish stops that 95 times out of 100. 

Loved Fargo's motion offense in the Ozone.  Every player moves the puck and moves himself causing breakdowns, seams, unmarked men and quality chances.  Lotta speed, support and awareness throughout.  Not a perimeter team as I saw plenty of traffic (although Eades, without seeing film, disagrees with that in this tilt).    A tight well prepared group who's record is not a fluke. 

The Dane with 4 names is the real deal.  Svejstrup is a big kid, aware, hungry, plays all 3 zones, good size, + skater and has the skill to finish.  Great scouting and a beauty 10th rd pick.  ......

Does DM always start slowly?  Watched the game at CI and it was the same thing in the 1st period.  Badly outshot, out zone timed, out chanced yet were able to not be down 2-3 goals.  Then they play good 2nd and 3rd periods and get a point or a win.  ...... Their goalies look decent but I wonder if they had a Berdin, Zhukov, Larsson if they'd have 2-3-4 more points (although who wouldn't)?  Kucharski (big kid) made some nice saves, showed the ability to get square off of rebounds and on pucks through traffic but more than a few times was off balance and vulnerable but 45 shots against will cause that most times. 

As mentioned I really liked Costello and Hentges showed well too.  We all know Red Lobster (kid can motor), Napravnik, Werbick, Ellingson are players but these kids showed well....... Impressed by smallish offensive Dman Appendino (PP QB) but big Dman Colin Baird (6ft 5in) showed feet and hands I wasn't aware of.  ..... A lot to work with in DM and if new ownership will spend I think an add or two will make this group a legit possibility to make some noise.

Good game for the fan.  Solid pace, netminding, compete and skill.  Nice road win for the Bucs who got away with one despite being outplayed. 

Love the feed out of Fargo they give the fans of the sport.  Crystal clear HD, replays including looks from the ceiling above the goalie and SOG next to the score and period.

Also love the huge white numbers on the Buc jersey's.  Can see them from a mile away and by the 2nd period you know who's who.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DM47

I agree Fargo had a lot of really good chances in the first 30 minutes.  I think the last 30 Des Moines took up more space in the slot not allowing a lot of those prime chances to be set up, there were a few but not nearly as many as the game started with.  That 3rd goal was not good, looked like Bischel expected S-S to take care of clearing it and didn't move over all the way, it went of S-S's knee and I think he actually knocked it in with his stick trying to get a handle on it.  This game was a lot like the first tilt between these two in Des Moines where Fargo had the pace the whole first period, then Des Moines caught up with the pace.  I see a lot of similarities in the way Eases and Allison handle there players, if they don't like the way a player handled a situation they are right to them when they hit the bench letting them know what they should have done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
casemagnum
11 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Went back to look at the beginning of the 1st and indeed Dickerson started, and finished, the game with Lebster and Ellingson which is a top 6 line.  So Allison gave the kid top 6 minutes out of the box as a Buc.  We do know they have injuries to Brickey who is a top 6 guy and Leitner and Otto who I think are bottom 6 guys. 

Dickerson is 19 and played 150+ games in the OHL over the last 3 yrs, which means he played as a 16 yr old.  That's good.  He had 13 points in that time and was a minus player every yr and never had more than 33 PIM in any yr.  He's 5ft 11in 205lbs.  Looking at the numbers I would think a bottom 6 guy.  http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=291853

Allison moves him into the top 6 even though he only has 1 top 6 guy injured as far as I know.  Tells me Allison is short on depth.  Kid couldn't have had much practice time, no game time with DM and can't know the systems yet.

If you watch that shift I referenced he doesn't have the hands or feet to make skill plays often.  Allows plays to stay alive in his zone too often.  Doesn't show much compete in puck battles and seems to rather stay just outside the scrum waiting for the puck to squirt out.  On dumps not much on puck retrieval. Certainly not a bulldog puck hound.  Decent straightaway speed but sweeping turns instead of stopping and starting.  Showed good touch on 2 nice passes in stride to a teammate.  Was in the crease on Red Lobster's goal from 2 ft out.  On a sequence where a FAR Dman pinched and a forward covered his spot (that forward is now Dickerson's responsibility)  Dick didn't cover him as he kinda floated and the forward got off a prime chance unmarked at the circle as Dick watched (I see him watching a lot). 

Fantastic HD feed out of FAR allowed a much better look at he kid but my original opinion stands.  He doesn't have top 6 skills or the bulldog compete of a better bottom 6 guy.  Still haven't seen him throw a check in 3 games.  Doesn't retrieve pucks well, keep plays alive well or get pucks out well, didn't show awareness on basic coverage.  ........ That said he got 150+ games in the OHL and that should tell you something but the eye test in 3 games makes me wonder where he fits. 

 

I appreciate your input. It was different from what I saw when him and the Steel played SC. Every time he came off the bench with a burst of speed. I do not have hockey tv so I cannot go watch more games. Thanks for your insight though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×