Jump to content
herbst20

Dmbucshighlight Announcement

Recommended Posts

herbst20

Just ran across Scott Thompson's (Dmbuchighlight) most recent Youtube video saying the USHL is shutting him down from filming anymore games.

On behalf of FYC I think this sucks as your videos were always a welcomed addition to our daily game day threads.  I can understand the USHL's position on the issue however.

It is my hope that Scott continues to post on FYC.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minor life

Willing to bet this has more to do with HockeyTV than the team or the USHL.  They own the broadcast rights in part, and are hyper protective of those rights.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet
54 minutes ago, minor life said:

Willing to bet this has more to do with HockeyTV than the team or the USHL.  They own the broadcast rights in part, and are hyper protective of those rights.  

Good point, ML.........

No matter the reason as herby says, this sucks.  HighLightMan your work is excellent and your feel and anticipation for the action is a big reason why.  Caught a lot of nuance on your vids besides the fact they are crystal clear in HD and add the professional editing work with slow motion, replays and stats added makes for a great look at USHL action.  Really a unique part of the USHL that people will reference 25 yrs from now when talking about the Bucs and or the league.

For me my favorite part of your vids is (don't wanna speak in past tense) was the sound that picked up your enthusiasm as you watched as a fan while filming.  You are a young man but to my ear it shows how the sport brings out the kid in most every fan and keeps us coming back to the arena.  An organic up close look at the sport.    ..... Who knows the reasoning or where the decision was made but IMO you and your work is an asset to the league, promoting it and showing the skill and action close up.  Not a stretch at all to say you and your work are  ambassador's of the lil ole USHL and the sport.

Stick tap and tip of the helmet, BucHighlightMan!:beers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buccaneerfan
3 hours ago, minor life said:

Willing to bet this has more to do with HockeyTV than the team or the USHL.  They own the broadcast rights in part, and are hyper protective of those rights.  

It actually had nothing to do with HockeyTV, they only own the streaming right so what Scott was doing should be totally cool by HockeyTV. The problem started when Mike Hardman took a penalty for "knee contact" against Solag Bacich, not sure on the spelling there. From the angle that Scott was able to grab you could clearly see that there was ZERO knee contact. Scott took a snippet of that video and tweeted it at the league, essentially challenging them. My guess is, they didn't like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DMBucshighlights

First off thanks to everyone for the kind words. It really does mean a lot. Secondly, to Buccaneerfan, I was not "challenging" them or at least I didn't mean to but maybe it came off that way. I was informed that my videos had been used for league suspensions before and I was trying to give the league another angle to look at since the Sioux City angle made it look pretty bad. (At the game watching the replay on the video board even I thought it was a penalty.) If they don't want my videos anymore to use when reviewing suspensions I was not made aware of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buccaneerfan
Just now, DMBucshighlights said:

First off thanks to everyone for the kind words. It really does mean a lot. Secondly, to Buccaneerfan, I was not "challenging" them or at least I didn't mean to but maybe it came off that way. I was informed that my videos had been used for league suspensions before and I was trying to give the league another angle to look at since the Sioux City angle made it look pretty bad. (At the game watching the replay on the video board even I thought it was a penalty.) If they don't want my videos anymore to use when reviewing suspensions I was not made aware of that.

I was just saying that your tweet is the only other explanation that i can think of, i know that hockeytv has no say in what you do since you aren't streaming them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DMBucshighlights
1 hour ago, Buccaneerfan said:

I was just saying that your tweet is the only other explanation that i can think of, i know that hockeytv has no say in what you do since you aren't streaming them.

 

No I understand that. I just wanted to make it clear that I was not challenging them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maiden
5 hours ago, minor life said:

Willing to bet this has more to do with HockeyTV than the team or the USHL.  They own the broadcast rights in part, and are hyper protective of those rights.  

Is it just a coincidence that we have a sale announcement of the franchise and then a cease and desist of any video of the team to BucsHighlights?

Is this a league issue or maybe the new ownership is using the league as the bad guy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BackCheck
18 minutes ago, Maiden said:

Is it just a coincidence that we have a sale announcement of the franchise and then a cease and desist of any video of the team to BucsHighlights?

Is this a league issue or maybe the new ownership is using the league as the bad guy?

Watch the video, he specifically says the new ownership had absolutely nothing to do with this. I think Buccaneerfan might have something about the replay clip. That and I think the league is just jealous that a fan puts together way better highlights than they can.

For what it's worth, I'm really a little pissed at this. DMBucshighlights videos sort of inspired me to start doing a lot of cellphone videos at games and posting clips. I don't put near the effort into it as he did, maybe that's to my benefit at the moment. When he talks about how cool it is seeing his clips in the intro video on the scoreboard, I can relate since the Phantoms have used a few on mine starting with last years playoffs. I can't see where this helps the league in any way. This is the kind of things desperate organizations do when they can't figure out why there own promotions are failing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheShow

The USHL's identity crisis is real.

They want to masquerade around as an amateur entity, but then they pull crap like this like they are King @#$^ on Turd Island, about proprietary rights and distribution.

The NHL did the same thing with Stephanie and the outrage was enormous, so she's back in action. Sadly, I don't think Bucs Highlight guy has enough traction to make enough of an impact to not get squashed by the boot. The USHL needs to look in the mirror, their proprietary digital rights aren't worth @#$^, which is why they have a clownshow of a platform like HockeyTV for their video services, while the CHL uses Neulion. Any sort of viral distribution of Buc Guy's videos sure as hell did more good for the league than bad. People weren't sitting at home in DM saying, "I could go to the game, instead I'll wait for Buc Guy's highlights.", I will bet some were saying, "Hmmmmm, I've never been to a Bucs game, I like the style of hockey I'm seeing, maybe I'll go to a game."

Instead, they are burning a bridge with someone they likely should have actually been collaborating with and as reaction from BackCheck suggests, is pissing off other bigger customers of the business in a completely different market. Incredible, but not at all surprising.

Edited by TheShow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet
49 minutes ago, BackCheck said:

Watch the video, he specifically says the new ownership had absolutely nothing to do with this. I think Buccaneerfan might have something about the replay clip. That and I think the league is just jealous that a fan puts together way better highlights than they can.

For what it's worth, I'm really a little pissed at this. DMBucshighlights videos sort of inspired me to start doing a lot of cellphone videos at games and posting clips. I don't put near the effort into it as he did, maybe that's to my benefit at the moment. When he talks about how cool it is seeing his clips in the intro video on the scoreboard, I can relate since the Phantoms have used a few on mine starting with last years playoffs. I can't see where this helps the league in any way. This is the kind of things desperate organizations do when they can't figure out why there own promotions are failing.

The teams SD feed sucks, as most do, but we didn't need HighlightMans clips to show that.  ... And I agree that it's doubtful that it's a coincidence that the team was sold then a week later HighLightMan was told to take a hike. 

My hope is that new ownership goes HD next yr as they upgrade the arena. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet
7 minutes ago, TheShow said:

The USHL's identity crisis is real.

They want to masquerade around as an amateur entity, but then they pull crap like this like they are King @#$^ on Turd Island, about proprietary rights and distribution.

The NHL did the same thing with Stephanie and the outrage was enormous, so she's back in action. Sadly, I don't think Bucs Highlight guy has enough traction to make enough of an impact to not get squashed by the boot. The USHL needs to look in the mirror, their proprietary digital rights aren't worth @#$^, which is why they have a clownshow of a platform like HockeyTV for their video services, while the CHL uses Neulion. Any sort of viral distribution of Buc Guy's videos sure as hell did more good for the league than bad. People weren't sitting at home in DM saying, "I could go to the game, instead I'll wait for Buc Guy's highlights.", I will bet some were saying, "Hmmmmm, I've never been to a Bucs game, I like the style of hockey I'm seeing, maybe I'll go to a game."

Instead, they are burning a bridge with someone they likely should have actually been collaborating with and as reaction from BackCheck suggests, is pissing off other bigger customers of the business in a completely different market. Incredible, but not at all surprising.

 

Indeed.  It would seem there is no real money involved to speak of and HighLightMan's excellent work promoted the league and it's top notch play.  ..... Wonder who made this decision as the league is without a commish. 

HighlightMan, who signed the correspondence you received telling you to get the hell outta Dodge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DMBucshighlights

Two things:

1. For everyone saying they think new ownership is somehow involved, please watch the video. New ownership had nothing to do with this and I don't want those kind of rumors spreading. I still have a good reputation with the team and I don't want that bridge burned over a stupid rumor spreading.

2. In response to Rico's question, the person who I talked to was Aaron Westendorf. He explained oversight was needed in case of a need for a review of suspension (something I thought they were already using my videos for) or if the league wants to use the highlights (which they could have done anytime had they just asked me). He was very nice about the whole ordeal and answered the questions I had so I don't want to paint him as the "bad guy" here.

I also just want to reinforce that the league isn't shutting me down entirely but it would be up to me to get an official title. I didn't really go into this in the video but what I would need to do is have an official title with the team or a major news outlet. Then my stuff would need to be submitted to the league in case of the suspension reviews and league use of the highlights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheShow
28 minutes ago, DMBucshighlights said:

Two things:

1. For everyone saying they think new ownership is somehow involved, please watch the video. New ownership had nothing to do with this and I don't want those kind of rumors spreading. I still have a good reputation with the team and I don't want that bridge burned over a stupid rumor spreading.

2. In response to Rico's question, the person who I talked to was Aaron Westendorf. He explained oversight was needed in case of a need for a review of suspension (something I thought they were already using my videos for) or if the league wants to use the highlights (which they could have done anytime had they just asked me). He was very nice about the whole ordeal and answered the questions I had so I don't want to paint him as the "bad guy" here.

I also just want to reinforce that the league isn't shutting me down entirely but it would be up to me to get an official title. I didn't really go into this in the video but what I would need to do is have an official title with the team or a major news outlet. Then my stuff would need to be submitted to the league in case of the suspension reviews and league use of the highlights.

That's an interesting interpretation they presented you with.

All the league would need to do, is draft an agreement for you to sign that anything you record is "property" of the USHL and thus can be distributed at their discretion (see: No profit to you, No potential loss to them). This "official title" nonsense or forcing you to get credentialed simply isn't true...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chipper Fan

Sorry that this is happened, and frankly it's a little surprising. You have been doing this for, what 7 years? IMHO that's a big difference than some run-of-the-mill (soon to be extinct) fan blog when it comes to getting media credentials. Not a Bucs fan (at least not tonight) but I do hope you find a way to resolve this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet

HighLightMan, no one is spreading rumors and even if they were you're not part of or feeding them....... But, and this is a thin line, people are speculating as to why and showing support for you and your work. 

All I personally know is you have been filming for a lot of yrs.  The league and Bucs were ok with it all that time and both the league and Bucs used your footage.  The team is sold, the Commish fired and a week later you're told to stop........ Do I have any facts wrong here?

Let the reader decide. 

Again I think you were/are an asset to the league.  If they feel otherwise they have the prerogative of telling you to stop.  I wouldn't have done so if I had a say but it ain't a deal breaker for me as a fan as far as going to see the product.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheShow
17 minutes ago, Mr Ricochet said:

HighLightMan, no one is spreading rumors and even if they were you're not part of or feeding them....... But, and this is a thin line, people are speculating as to why and showing support for you and your work. 

All I personally know is you have been filming for a lot of yrs.  The league and Bucs were ok with it all that time and both the league and Bucs used your footage.  The team is sold, the Commish fired and a week later you're told to stop........ Do I have any facts wrong here?

Let the reader decide. 

Again I think you were/are an asset to the league.  If they feel otherwise they have the prerogative of telling you to stop.  I wouldn't have done so if I had a say but it ain't a deal breaker for me as a fan as far as going to see the product.

 

 

I personally would rule out new ownership. They wouldn't be losing anything in terms of rebroadcasting or IP usage.

I wouldn't at all rule out the recent Coup d'Etat in Chicago, coupled with tweeting the video to the league office. If the tweeting was done previously it was probably ignored, in an (no offense to Buc Guy) "annoyance" sort of way, but they probably finally reached a breaking point where they chose to not ignore it or let it fly under the radar.

Having never watched more than a few seconds of any of his videos, I personally appreciate the effort any fan makes in terms of producing content in their spare time for non-profit reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DMBucshighlights
1 hour ago, Mr Ricochet said:

HighLightMan, no one is spreading rumors and even if they were you're not part of or feeding them....... But, and this is a thin line, people are speculating as to why and showing support for you and your work. 

All I personally know is you have been filming for a lot of yrs.  The league and Bucs were ok with it all that time and both the league and Bucs used your footage.  The team is sold, the Commish fired and a week later you're told to stop........ Do I have any facts wrong here?

Let the reader decide. 

Again I think you were/are an asset to the league.  If they feel otherwise they have the prerogative of telling you to stop.  I wouldn't have done so if I had a say but it ain't a deal breaker for me as a fan as far as going to see the product.

 

Now I will let the reader decide. I can only say so much anyway. If you choose not to believe what I say or that the team is leading me blindly into believing the league is behind it then I guess that's up to you. But knowing some of these people for as long as I have I would imagine they would have the decency to tell me if they were the ones wanting to put a stop to it. I just can't imagine that new ownership would have anything to do with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet
49 minutes ago, TheShow said:

 

I personally would rule out new ownership. They wouldn't be losing anything in terms of rebroadcasting or IP usage.

I wouldn't at all rule out the recent Coup d'Etat in Chicago, coupled with tweeting the video to the league office. If the tweeting was done previously it was probably ignored, in an (no offense to Buc Guy) "annoyance" sort of way, but they probably finally reached a breaking point where they chose to not ignore it or let it fly under the radar.

Having never watched more than a few seconds of any of his videos, I personally appreciate the effort any fan makes in terms of producing content in their spare time for non-profit reasons.

Indeed, BucMan shows the ability to weaponize his footage if he chose.  ...... Look IMO we are dealing with sharp successful people, I know there are many who would disagree, who have given this fan incredible hockey.  It's their product and I trust they will do what's best for it whether I understand or not and quite frankly if they listened to my advice on most things they'd be out of business.

And I can see how my laying out the timing of this implicates new ownership but in no way am I.  Just laying out the facts as I see them and besides what if Buc ownership did put the kabash on this, so what.  If a fan says that's it I'm done with the Bucs cuz of this they'd find something else to put em over the edge and stop buying tickets. 

And as a fan I see BucMan and his fine work as a benefit to the Bucs and the league.  If they see it differently as mentioned, these are sharp people, I understand they are running their biz as they see fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet
37 minutes ago, DMBucshighlights said:

Now I will let the reader decide. I can only say so much anyway. If you choose not to believe what I say or that the team is leading me blindly into believing the league is behind it then I guess that's up to you. But knowing some of these people for as long as I have I would imagine they would have the decency to tell me if they were the ones wanting to put a stop to it. I just can't imagine that new ownership would have anything to do with this.

Best of luck, BucHighlightMan...............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spit n Argue

In regards to the league handing down a cease and desist to BucHighlightMan, this just doesn't happen without SOME input from the Bucs owners or GM. How much input who knows, but you can bet there was dialog and an agreement from both that BucHighlightMan's videoing needed to stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jimindm

I watched his last one longer, than all of the rest.

I too would bet there was some thing said between the league and the team. Old ownership was what it was. As many of you have commented about how well he does and how bad the arena stuff is, why would they not sort of use his stuff some of the time. Really what did it cost them, a season ticket maybe. I could also see that they would sort of use the buddy system to get him into other arenas. You know how business is done that way.

I have wondered for a long time how he could do, what he does, with out some kind of media credentials. I am pretty sure not just any one walking around with a camera has those. I would suspect some where, or some one decided that they can not allow some one to do this with out some kind of credentials. 

It sort of looks like he has taken just being a fan to far. Now some one is saying either be a fan, or a media guy, and to do what you are doing you need media credentials. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Ricochet

I don't think BucMan is diggin this thread as he seems it might compromise future endeavors/opportunities with all the speculation.  ........ As with anything USHL who knows.  What we do know is BucMan was good for the Bucs, the fans, the league and his work was first rate. 

Hopefully he resurfaces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DMBucshighlights
1 hour ago, Mr Ricochet said:

I don't think BucMan is diggin this thread as he seems it might compromise future endeavors/opportunities with all the speculation.  ........ As with anything USHL who knows.  What we do know is BucMan was good for the Bucs, the fans, the league and his work was first rate. 

Hopefully he resurfaces.

Not exactly the way I wanted to go out that's for sure. Just thinking that this should be a bright spot for the team with the ownership change and everything but because my credentials get pulled everyone goes into speculation as to why. I would just rather not be a distraction that's all. In all honesty I didn't really WANT to explain what was going on but I felt it would have been a disservice to all those who watch my videos to leave them in the dark and not explain why videos were no longer coming out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hackshow22

Your work will be missed.  Hope someone can figure out how to make you "official".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×