herbst20

Dmbucshighlight Announcement

dwhitehead
36 minutes ago, Mr Ricochet said:

D, the only thing, and I mean the only thing I know about business is that a middle class slob  who punches a time clock like myself is the guy who either can afford to buy the iphone, tv, car, computer, hockey ticket, or not, and that his how a billionaire is made.  Pay me and my kind 25 bucks an hr and us stiffs make zillionaires, don't and we can't.  

When this site was started we used the league logo of the IHL as tabs for every thread for each forum (remember ML?).  But I told the mods I'm gonna check with the league after we did so.   Emailed them, they said thanks so much for asking but no we don't want the logo used, no more explanation given, no more asked..

As little as I know about bizness I didn't need an explanation from people a helluva lot smarter than me as to why they didn't want the free advertisement the site was giving them.  ....... I agree with those who say the vids these guys provide spreads the word of lil ole USHL but I also understand the league has reasons for not wanting that done, reasons I don't understand. 

Mr. Ricochet,

I apologize if you (or anyone else) took anything I said as a personal attack, that was not my intent.

I felt that there was a lot of anger being pointed at the league and the teams on this issue, and as a fan of what they do for hockey I felt it needed to be said. 

I was not, in any way, intending any insult or criticism of anyone involved in this discussion.

Mr Ricochet
10 minutes ago, dwhitehead said:

Mr. Ricochet,

I apologize if you (or anyone else) took anything I said as a personal attack, that was not my intent.

I felt that there was a lot of anger being pointed at the league and the teams on this issue, and as a fan of what they do for hockey I felt it needed to be said. 

I was not, in any way, intending any insult or criticism of anyone involved in this discussion.

Please, there is no need to qualify your thoughts, apologize for them or tip toe around anyone here.  You make a good point few if any thought of that wasn't in any way offensive.  ...... And as far as the USHL and hockey in general FYC is here to promote not tear down but that doesn't mean respectful critique or complaints are out of place or not allowed.  Conversely, IMO they are helpful as is this conversation. 

MuskiesFan4Ever

In my years of experience as the tech admin of the musketeersforum.com message board site it seems that when "official" logos are used on the message board/blog/whatever some people seem to think it means there is an "official" connection between the site and the team/league.... so, when SOME people see something they don't like they think the OPINIONS they're reading must be "officially" endorsed by the team/league since they see the logo and so they whine and cry to the team/league about what they saw.  Of course the team/league tells these misguided individuals they have nothing to do with that message board/blog/whatever and the next response is usually "I see YOUR logo!".  Next thing you know the team/league is contacting those responsible for the message board/blog/whatever and telling them they need to remove all logos from said site.  :(

We now have a disclaimer in several places indicating that musketeersforum.com is an unofficial site of the Sioux City Musketeers but is an OFFICIAL site of the Musketeer FANS!  LOL

Edited by MuskiesFan4Ever

BackCheck

Well, here are my current thoughts an plan of action. First off, I totally agree with ML and this is at least partially HockeyTV's influence. I'm not commercially using any team/league/player property or likeness so I don't think there is anything there. I am not in any way attempting to make myself appear to be an official outlet, my avatar on social media should be distinct enough not to give that impression. I usually wait until official highlights and release are put out as to not step on any toes. 

I have come to the conclusion that a direct message from the teams Twitter account cannot be taken as a legitimate C&D. I have no way to verify the authority of the person sending the message. It could be the team owner, it could be an intern, heck it could be someone's kid. My next step is to send a return message explaining that I mean no offense but that I cannot verify their authority and that I would like to arrange to speak to a team or league representative that I can verify. I am not a lawyer but I have a pretty firm grasp of Fair Use laws, I would like to bounce that off of someone. I don't expect they'll just be "OK, sorry. We didn't think about that" but I would like to try to find a compromise of some sorts. In the least, I would like some explanation for the sudden about face.

DMBucshighlights
50 minutes ago, BackCheck said:

Well, here are my current thoughts an plan of action. First off, I totally agree with ML and this is at least partially HockeyTV's influence. I'm not commercially using any team/league/player property or likeness so I don't think there is anything there. I am not in any way attempting to make myself appear to be an official outlet, my avatar on social media should be distinct enough not to give that impression. I usually wait until official highlights and release are put out as to not step on any toes. 

I have come to the conclusion that a direct message from the teams Twitter account cannot be taken as a legitimate C&D. I have no way to verify the authority of the person sending the message. It could be the team owner, it could be an intern, heck it could be someone's kid. My next step is to send a return message explaining that I mean no offense but that I cannot verify their authority and that I would like to arrange to speak to a team or league representative that I can verify. I am not a lawyer but I have a pretty firm grasp of Fair Use laws, I would like to bounce that off of someone. I don't expect they'll just be "OK, sorry. We didn't think about that" but I would like to try to find a compromise of some sorts. In the least, I would like some explanation for the sudden about face.

Please keep us updated. I'll be interested to hear what they say.

TheShow
3 hours ago, minor life said:

I had completely forgotten about that Rico!  I still think this has a lot to do with HockeyTV.  Though no one will say it.  There are a lot of changes taking place in that company.  Now that the founder of FastHockey has left HockeyTech, the company that purchased FastHockey, the timing of these requests fits that timeline as well.  

Agreed with this. 

The USHL for all it's positives, is run like a clown show. In what little I know about HockeyTV, I believe the USHL is their most "powerful" client. This should afford the USHL the luxury of being able to tell HockeyTV what to do, not vice versa. Instead, they are seeming to bend over for HockeyTV, quite like how they bend over for NTDP. So now, they need to flex their muscle on the little guy, to remind themselves that they are "in charge" of something. 

I'm still incredibly curious how they would handle Suzie Soccermom's social media pages with images from the league. I used to know a few families, who when they were season ticket holders in Fargo (none of them are anymore), who would make "albums" on their personal social media, with pictures from the games. This is essentially not at all different from what Buc Guy and BC are doing, except BC/Buc Guy are more "fan" oriented in their pictures/video and not "personal". I'd totally get it, if Buc Guy/BC were monetizing the images (I don't think you were via YouTube, correct, Buc Guy?), but this is simply fan content. 

TheShow
2 hours ago, MuskiesFan4Ever said:

In my years of experience as the tech admin of the musketeersforum.com message board site it seems that when "official" logos are used on the message board/blog/whatever some people seem to think it means there is an "official" connection between the site and the team/league.... so, when SOME people see something they don't like they think the OPINIONS they're reading must be "officially" endorsed by the team/league since they see the logo and so they whine and cry to the team/league about what they saw.  Of course the team/league tells these misguided individuals they have nothing to do with that message board/blog/whatever and the next response is usually "I see YOUR logo!".  Next thing you know the team/league is contacting those responsible for the message board/blog/whatever and telling them they need to remove all logos from said site.  :(

We now have a disclaimer in several places indicating that musketeersforum.com is an unofficial site of the Sioux City Musketeers but is an OFFICIAL site of the Musketeer FANS!  LOL

Seen this a million times.

I love it when the admins then basically fire back by using images of the players in their headers/imagery and just photo shop out the trademarked logos. At that point there's literally nothing they can do, as they are simply using "hockey players with coincidental colors and styles" on their pages. 

TheShow
2 hours ago, BackCheck said:

Good luck to you, man. 

I can't even predict how this will go. Part of me thinks they will duck any potential face to face meeting and get their counsel to send you an official C+D. The other part tells me, they will schedule you a meeting with the Gameday Ops guy, in between his duties of planning the next weiner dog race and putting out fires from his owner for failed business expectations to feed you some generic USHL-handed-down line. 

Chipper Fan

DMBucshighlights, please remind me ... have you approached the team about getting a media credential? This seems like a logical first step that would address some of the boundary issues you're encountering. Forgive me if you've already addressed this.

DMBucshighlights
1 hour ago, Chipper Fan said:

DMBucshighlights, please remind me ... have you approached the team about getting a media credential? This seems like a logical first step that would address some of the boundary issues you're encountering. Forgive me if you've already addressed this.

I never approached the team about a media credential because to my knowledge the Bucs do not issue one. Could be very wrong on this so don't quote me but I think for example if a news station wants to come in and get highlights they just go up to the office and say they are from whichever news station, maybe they sign something, I'm not sure and then they are sent on their way. If the Bucs have an official credential I have never seen it.

1 hour ago, TheShow said:

Agreed with this. 

The USHL for all it's positives, is run like a clown show. In what little I know about HockeyTV, I believe the USHL is their most "powerful" client. This should afford the USHL the luxury of being able to tell HockeyTV what to do, not vice versa. Instead, they are seeming to bend over for HockeyTV, quite like how they bend over for NTDP. So now, they need to flex their muscle on the little guy, to remind themselves that they are "in charge" of something. 

I'm still incredibly curious how they would handle Suzie Soccermom's social media pages with images from the league. I used to know a few families, who when they were season ticket holders in Fargo (none of them are anymore), who would make "albums" on their personal social media, with pictures from the games. This is essentially not at all different from what Buc Guy and BC are doing, except BC/Buc Guy are more "fan" oriented in their pictures/video and not "personal". I'd totally get it, if Buc Guy/BC were monetizing the images (I don't think you were via YouTube, correct, Buc Guy?), but this is simply fan content. 

Actually my YouTube channel was monetized. It was really weird because they were a few videos that YouTube did not let me monetize but I never could figure out the reason for it. I can tell you it wasn't making me a lot of money though (usually just a few pennies per video). I think over the 7 years that I filmed, I made maybe $200? 

Mr Ricochet

That'll bring a smile to your face!!  Now that is some good PR........... Congrats HighLightMan, you earned it.  :beers:

DEADpanBUC

Great to hear I missed watching the videos. 

DMBucshighlights

Thanks everybody! Very excited for this opportunity!

MuskiesFan4Ever
21 hours ago, DMBucshighlights said:

Thanks everybody! Very excited for this opportunity!

I thought you had indicated when the DM org initially offered you an "official" title to continue videos you turned them down... just wondering what changed your mind?

Edited by MuskiesFan4Ever

DMBucshighlights
2 hours ago, MuskiesFan4Ever said:

I thought you had indicated when the DM org initially offered you an "official" title to continue videos you turned them down... just wondering what changed your mind?

I never said the organization offered me anything. The league told me by getting an official title I could continue filming as long as I provided them the footage. I chose not to pursue that immediately. The Bucs then came to me with this position and I took it.

BackCheck

Wow, this is really great to hear. At least one team is willing to work with their fans.

Spit n Argue
On 11/21/2017 at 8:55 PM, Spit n Argue said:

My speculation on the above: The dream scenario would be of course for the Bucs to hire you on as a video guy for game film and marketing pieces. In regards too our speculation, you post video's on social media...... the concept of comments on said video (good and bad) can't really be that new to you. As far as not wanting to be a distraction I do believe you mean that but at the same time you must have realized at some point before now that filming from an arena seat was more than likely a distraction for others around you. Not wanting to really explain..... sure you wanted to explain what was going on and hope the masses would speak and result in some sort of reversal, nothing wrong with that. Everyone needs a little hope in their lives. Last but not least DMBucshighlights keep posting up your thoughts on the games, your perspective is unique. 

Wow it worked DMBucshighlight!!! I am wondering what exactly comes with the new credentials though? Still have to take videos from your seat? Or did they give you multiple options from where to video for a different perspective? Also it would be cool to be able to video a Q and A session with some of the players and be able to post them up as well. 

DMBucshighlights
1 hour ago, Spit n Argue said:

Wow it worked DMBucshighlight!!! I am wondering what exactly comes with the new credentials though? Still have to take videos from your seat? Or did they give you multiple options from where to video for a different perspective? Also it would be cool to be able to video a Q and A session with some of the players and be able to post them up as well. 

Actually I’m running the HockeyTV camera now. Then I’m editing that footage and uploading it. I also get to edit footage for the road games which is cool.

DEADpanBUC
On 1/5/2018 at 11:54 PM, DMBucshighlights said:

Actually I’m running the HockeyTV camera now. Then I’m editing that footage and uploading it. I also get to edit footage for the road games which is cool.

Just curious, since you are editing the HockeyTV footage, if you are still going to include fights and the scrums after plays. I didn't know if the team or league was going to frown upon that since you are using the HockeyTV stuff for the videos now.