Mr Ricochet

Week 4 Articles From Around The USHL

Mr Ricochet

USHL Site  Players of The Week

The United States Hockey League announced the Forward, Defenseman and Goaltender of the Week for Week 4 of the 2017-18 season. Fargo Force forward Griffin Loughran and Dubuque Fighting Saints defenseman Brendan Bushy earned their first USHL weekly honors, while Madison Capitols goaltender Dryden McKay picked up his third career USHL Goaltender of the Week award. Loughran recorded seven points over the weekend, including a six-point night on Saturday, Bushy scored a goal in both of Dubuque's games over the weekend to help the Fighting Saints to a pair of wins and McKay led Madison to a victory on Saturday by stopping all but one of the 50 shots he faced.

Mr Ricochet

Hawks Site  The Week Ahead

October in Retrospect

The Hawks finished the first calendar month of the 2017/18 regular season with a breakeven 4-4-0 record.  Although Waterloo’s 2.13 goals-per-game tie for 14th in the USHL, the team is second in goals against at 2.38.  Goaltender Jared Moe is currently third in the league with a 1.78 goals-against average; his save percentage ranks fifth at 93.5%.  Offensively, the Hawks saw balanced scoring during the month, with four different players (Jackson Cates, Ben Copeland, Ethan Johnson, and Garrett Wait) each recording six points.  Cates had three goals, while Wait contributed five assists.  Johnson owned the club’s best plus/minus differential during the month at +5.

Iowa Blue's fan

Hawks need to improve their scoring or else they are in trouble. I saw no playmaking this weekend and too many shots completely missed the goal. 

tpriest

Fighting Saints Report 10/30

Mr Ricochet
On 11/1/2017 at 1:38 PM, tpriest said:

Fighting Saints Report 10/30

Thanks, T.   Man you Saints fans are spoiled!!............ Noticed David talking a lot about which player is getting the most scoring chances.    Not often you get to hear a coach talk much about stats that go beyond the normal goals and assists but when you have a coach talk for 10-15 minutes like the organIzation gives their fans you'll hear things like this.

Anyway I always wonder how in depth clubs collect stats, fancy stats.  I know the clubs/league can't afford the man power to have full blown advanced stats but I'm guessing the resourced clubs, like the Saints, collect more than others.  That's a big edge if utilized. 

You did hear David mention how the club will game plan for different clubs, no news there, but wonder how much advanced stats play into game planning........ I did ask one scout once how much USHL teams are able to use advanced stats and was told not much do to the manpower needed to do it but I would assume each club is different.  ....... Those video guys are worth their weight in gold. 

Mr Ricochet

Jacks Site/Scott Bradford   Jacks weekend preview

Also of note on offense is the call-up of first-round draft pick John Farinacci. The 12th overall selection in the 2017 Phase I draft, Farinacci is just 16 years of age, but already emerging as one of the top 2001-born players. The 6-foot, 175-pound forward is expected to play this season with the Dexter School in Brookline, MA, but Jacks fans will get a glimpse into the future when Farinacci hits the ice this weekend.

Hockeyphan.com/Justin Irwin   Phantoms Week 5 Preview

LSJ/Steve Gunn  Newcomer Phillips making impact already

“I requested a trade from Fargo,” said Phillips, 18, a native of Edina, Minnesota. “Things weren’t really working out there. I was looking for a fresh start and a new opportunity, and I was fortunate enough to land in Muskegon.”

Mr Ricochet
7 hours ago, DM47 said:

More importantly, the former Buffalo Junior Sabres 18-U program prolific scorer (55 goals and 59 assists in 74 games in 2015-16) learned to embrace a role — not as a stat-sheet stuffer, but as an agitator.

"It’s the greatest move I’ve made in my hockey career so far," Loughran said of his stint in the NAHL. "I really matured and developed as a player by coming to the rink and knowing I have to work harder than everyone else. Part of the learning experience was finding out I’m not always going to be the go-to guy. I had to learn to play other roles."

Very good article, well written.  This should be read by every kid really.  You can be the big fish in you Midget league but those skills won't always translate to the level of the USHL.  But if you're good enough to dominate Midgets you have skills to contribute in a role at the USHL level if you accept that you won't be the scorer you were............

Got this kid a scholarship.  ........ Very good read, thanks 47.