herbst20

Des Moines Sold?

Mr Ricochet

"Maybe a hockey facility down the road"

Mr Ricochet

Full interview with Bucs co-owner Nate Teut. 

jimindm

I saw these videos last night on the bucs website and was going to post them today. Should have known Mr R. would beat me to it.

When the new ownership group was announced, I kind of wondered if any of them would be calling central Iowa home. Nate does refer to that in the video, but it looks like he is the only local guy.

I looked for information on the new owners and the few that have been named. About the only one you can see much of is of Nate. Small town Iowa boy playing HS baseball and working at a golf course. Gets a call from the university about a scholarship, takes it and ends up in the MLB system before graduation. As MLB career winding down he finds him self working in the farm system of the parent club, that happens to be in Des Moines.

About the only thing against him is his resignation from the I-Cubs a few years ago. I could say this, but I do not know as fact. Several years ago the city of DM hosted a soccer tournament, at one of their complexes. It was flooded with about three feet of river water, six weeks before the tournament. I-cubs stepped up and told city officials, we will get the fields playable, you need to worry about the rest. I think that was the beginning of I Cubs sports turf management. The soccer tournament with something like 150 teams, from many states, went off like nothing happened.

I know that the turf management is now a pretty good business, under the I Cubs umbrella group. Total speculation that maybe he stepped down from the front office to head up another venture with in the organization. I think he sort of says in the video he is coming from the I cubs.

Anyone that has spent any time in the I cubs front office know the way you need to treat the fans. The whole organization is top notch, From the facility all the way down to how they partner with many groups from the area. If he can just bring some of that to the bucs organization things would be good.

Mr. R makes a good point that new ownership sort of starts off with a clean slate. I would say much of that is true to a point. I think vendors, advertisers, and anyone else kind of proceed cautiously. Everything in the video that Nate talks about was kind of snubbed by former ownership. I hope the new guys are not to late to the party. But sometimes it makes the new guys work harder at it, to make it happen.

I would say this and it is just my opinion, but the I Cubs is at the top of the list for spending that entertainment dollar in the area. Many venues should look at what they are doing and how they are doing it. 

I would also say that prior bucs ownership has dug a deep hole for anyone to try to fill. It will not be easy to get out of that. Give the new guys some time.

I was thinking after it was announced that the whole organization will have to sort of go through a fundamental change of how they do what they do, in every aspect. They whole place has kind of been gutted to the bare of basic needs. They really do not do a great job with what crowds they have now. They need to get the house in order to ever expect it to get better.

All of the new leadership is filled with people that have taken a sport they enjoy and and made a career out of. If that is not what the USHl is all about, I do not know what is.  

iowaninja

Documents show several state and federal tax liens filed against Buccaneers Hockey, LLC in the last year.

Thats probably not a good thing huh

Mr Ricochet
5 hours ago, iowaninja said:

Thats probably not a good thing huh

Thanks all of you Buc fans for posting.  Nice work Jim.  Can feel your excitement as I read your posts, all Bucs fans......

Just a little investigating and time spent by the Register and we now know the club AND arena (I'm assuming the arena too in that price) went for 3.2 mil.  Wouldn't the land be worth a couple mil?

I think you see they assumed the debt ninja and is the reason they got both the club and arena for that price.  What the Register doesn't say is how much debt was assumed which my guess is a good bit.  .............. I wish fans didn't have to concern themselves with this side of the sport but we need the Bucs to stay solvent and can only hope they got a fair deal so as to not have money problems 5 yrs out. 

jimindm

I would not be the one to ask what a USHL team has for a value. I am sure there are a few that could answer that on here, better than I could.

The value of the arena? I would not put it that high. I looked on the county assessors page. It looks like it was sold to Port Royal Holdings LLC, out of New York. When you scroll down it looks like the arena sold for $1.05 Million. Here is the link. http://web.assess.co.polk.ia.us/cgi-bin/web/tt/infoqry.cgi?tt=card/card&dp=31200353001004

That sounds a little high, but it is just numbers. I am sure the arena has a much greater value, if you own the team playing in it. 

Not real sure about the debt thing. I would guess what kind of taxes liens are filed would make a difference. Sales tax, property tax, employee withholding, IRS and list goes on. I would think some of that would go towards prior ownership, but I suppose in the end, some one is going to pay it.

I am glad that some one has chose to buy it, but even more so that prior ownership is gone. I think the more that comes out about the whole process, you can see the prior ownership were real pieces of work. I always thought they had run it down to were there was not much value left. I suppose you could say they did just that. 

I guess I am even surprised at some of this. How much does the league get involved in team issues, or in this case arena issues. Even if half of that article is accurate, one has to wonder how much longer they could have went. You would think the league would have some kind of way to kind of keep a finger on some of this.

I think it just shows how deep of a hole prior ownership dug, and how much the new group has to overcome. I hope for the sake of the new group some of the vendors and such do work with them. I know in life your word is as good as it gets.

All in all, i suppose the powers to be in the hockey world knew what was going on. I would suspect that in negotiations for a business, much of this comes out, before money changes hands. I would say that this group is much like coach Allison when he was hired. They had to know what they were getting into.

Buccaneerfan

JiminDM,  from my understanding, the new ownership has bought everything from the ground up, including the land. From what i know of the Peleds, if they still owned the arena, you can bet your ass they would still be around to make sure their presence is known and to make sure that their arena is ran the way THEY want it to run, and I haven't seen Gil or Ami around at any of the games. I spoke to one of the maintenance guys and he hasn't heard from or seen the Peleds since the ownership transition. He also told me that shortly before the sale was announced, they were told to order what they need, both janitorial and concessions. I would assume this is because they didn't want to spend money that they wouldn't benefit from after the sale. And you are absolutely right, the new owners have a long road ahead of them to fix what the Peleds spent 10 years destroying.