herbst20

Des Moines Sold?

herbst20

Accordingly to the tweet below, the Bucs have been sold to former NHL goalie Scott Clemmensen

Mr Ricochet

Wow!!   I'm assuming Buc fans, if true, are buzzing.  ...........Worked for the Steel. 

iowaninja

Des Moines area native, former Buc and NHL goalie, only NHLer from Iowa.   Hope this is true and goes well

MadhouseOnHickman
35 minutes ago, DEADpanBUC said:

This is huge... have to think the bucs will be moving to a new arena as well.... 

Mr Ricochet

Wow!!   Might have to fuel up The Ricochet Train and head west for a visit to Bucs Arena before it is no more.

MadhouseOnHickman
16 minutes ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Wow!!   Might have to fuel up The Ricochet Train and head west for a visit to Bucs Arena before it is no more.

:)

DM47
35 minutes ago, Mr Ricochet said:

I am going to be there tomorrow for the first time.

MadhouseOnHickman
1 minute ago, DM47 said:

I am going to be there tomorrow for the first time.

Hope you have a great time, our crowds get rowdy. 

kwey24

And that was the beginning of Scott Clemmensen's wife filing for divorce... That's said jokingly.

Scott actually isn't the only Iowan to play in the NHL. Johnston native C.J. Smith signed with Buffalo out of UMass-Lowell last year and played some games.  Now, Scott is the only Iowan to stick in the NHL for any period thus far.  (We can lay claim to ECHL scoring ace Chad Costello, a former Buccaneer and RoughRider.) 

Des Moines will get behind this. If Scott is announced in-person anytime soon, I promise there will be a standing ovation for over a minute. 

This is a great development. This matched with a new facility on par with Cedar Rapids (Ralston is probably a bit pricey) would go a long way toward re-establishing the Bucs.  If Clemmensen can bring in the right front office people, a lot of the former die-hards who have been turned away will likely return (I think) and then a new facility would bring in a lot more families.  There's no reason the Bucs can't be averaging close to 3,000 a game again in a new facility. 

I'm excited for the Bucs and the prospect of the community rallying aroudn Clemmensen, Allison, and the players.

Mr Ricochet

Spinning around the internets looking for a story on this, nuttin local(!!!!!!), ran across a piece on the Bucs' long demise into mediocrity written back in 2015.  Thought it fit in this thread.

DM Register/Andrew Logue   Proud Buccaneers franchise trying to climb out of mediocrity

The Bucs were once a dynasty, winning the Anderson Cup (awarded for the best overall record in regular-season play) in 1994, 1995, 1998 and 1999.

They won the Clark Cup (based on playoff success) in 1991, 1995, 1999 and 2006.

In the past eight years, however, Des Moines has failed to finish above sixth place in its division — averaging 32.9 losses (in a 60-game schedule) under six different coaches.

OutdoorJoe

For those with facebook the Bucs facebook page has the live press confrence posted there.    Interesting to see Bob Fallen there after reading the tweet by Schlossman saying team executives are trying to force him out.  

jimindm

Mr. R you likely will not see anything local about this. A division one school thirty miles up the interstate has been having quite a year playing football. They have knocked off two top five rated teams in three weeks, made it into the top 25, and with an underdog win Saturday, became bowl eligible. 

I guess that is the news of central Iowa. I would say this is likely the only bad thing about this whole deal, is a news conference announcing it, on a day that there is so many other stories.

So just some of what I have heard. Scott has always been interested in purchasing the bucs. He just kind of had to let his NHL career end, to really be that interested to pursue it more. IMO it had to be a something he has wanted, to assemble the people that he has for investors. I would guess these people just did not get together recently to do a deal.

Word is that most of the investors are guys that Clemmensen played with at Boston College. They have always talked about owning a team and now that some have made it in life, they have made that a reality.  

Nate Teut was also announced with them in the press conference. Seems to be a home town boy, from up the road a little ways. Made it to the majors, and returned home to work with the AAA affiliate of the MLB cubs, the Iowa Cubs. Iowa must be a great place that once these athletes make it to the bigs, that they want to return home.

From the talk last night, buying the team was the easy part. Getting through an arena to play in was the struggle. I would guess this is where the league sort of stepped in. I think the league had found itself in a unique situation with with the prior owners, and likely wanted them out of the whole deal. I could certainly see something like that happening. I would just guess that they have put the league in to many situations by being the arena owners, that the league just wanted to be done with them.

I knew the talk of a new arena would start right away. But as I have said before I am not sure on a business side that makes much sense to me. As I sat in the Lancers arena friday night I started wondering how much of the revenue do teams get. I would imagine it is a percentage of most everything. Parking, concessions, tickets, advertising, and everything else.

I think it certainly changes from team to team and what markets they play in, but what kind of return is needed for a team to survive. I just thought about a team like the lancers making $10 bucks off of a ticket sold. How much does the team get from the ticket? How much from parking or concessions? How much did the fan have to spend, to return $10 to the team? 

A new arena certainly would be nice. That would have to drive that number way up. Why not just do better with what you have? That has been a big problem at bucs arena in the last few years. They are doing nothing for the fan, and sort of making it even harder for the fan to enjoy, what they are coming to see. It is not rocket science, to do this and do it much better. I would have to think any marketing intern could have done better. Heck even the team mom running a little league concession stand likley has more understanding to it. 

In the end more people, more to the bottom line. Why sort of set yourself up to just share a piece of the pie, when you can have it all. Current ownership could make a few changes, that really do not cost much, to enhance to fan experience. Get the most out of what you have and go from there.

I would echo what many have said. This is a home run for the team, the league, the fan, and everything else. To get some one here that wants to do better, that has the long term vision, that has the passion to make it better. Having a home town boy out in front is not a bad thing either.

Kewy24 you were correct in prediction of over a minute of standing ovation when the new owners were announced. I would guess there were many of the Bucs faithful, cheering for the home town boy that made good. I would guess there was just as many that were glad to get rid of ownership that was sucking the place dry.  

Mr Ricochet

Great post Jim, thanks for making the effort.  As a fan of the league and towns with deep roots in the sport I'm still excited about this.  DM and their fans have shown they deserve a solid product and will support it.

In another example of how damn slow I am in the head until I read your post I didn't put together that Pelad owns Bucs Arena.  How is that gonna work?  Did they hammer out a lease with Pelad during the sale?  Do they plan on buying Bucs arena?  I'm guessing new ownership has some contingencies as far as where the team will play in 2-4 and 6 yrs out but as a fan we have nothing on that account.  Would hate to see problems with the team and Buc Arena ownership as far as a lease.

That's why I was hoping the Register would send a reporter to get these kinds of questions answered. 

jimindm

Good question Mr R. The way it was talked about last night, it was the white elephant of the whole deal was the arena. 

I can not imagine that anybody involved would not want it to be a package deal. I have no idea the value of a team in the league, or what Pelids bought it for. I have heard for years that package price was out of this world. Maybe in the end they seen the value in just the team, and marketed it as such. I am not even sure what a franchise costs, but unless the league is expanding, buying one would be the only way to get one, to put it in a city of your choice.

Not only my opinion, but many others would likely agree, the Pelids milked the organization all the way to the end. One only has to look at what they have done in the past, to know that they would not be someone that anyone would want to partner with.

I would be shocked if the league did not implement some standards that were aimed at the bucs franchise and how business was done here, over time.

My guess is the Pelids were the black eyes of the league, through and through. I thought I have read where any ownership change has to sort of be voted on or OKed by other owners. One could say they maybe rode the horse all the way to the end. If there was a vote, maybe they knew that this was the best way of getting out.

I think I have seen, or heard, that is was all purchased as a package deal in the end. I really can not say how it all played out, to make it happen.

Buccaneerfan

Based on an article that I read, the Bucs will be staying at Buccaneer Arena so I would expect to see some changes being made to the arena. Maybe a new PA system and just general updates. I would expect to see a lot of the cosmetic stuff to happen during the off season.

BucsDM

I think before a new arena can even be thought of, they have to clean up the mess the Peleds left.  I heard that they couldn't open up more concession stands recently because they didn't have the product to do so because apparently there were a lot of bills that weren't getting paid.  

Mr Ricochet
7 hours ago, Buccaneerfan said:

Based on an article that I read, the Bucs will be staying at Buccaneer Arena so I would expect to see some changes being made to the arena. Maybe a new PA system and just general updates. I would expect to see a lot of the cosmetic stuff to happen during the off season.

Well yes, they are gonna play at Bucs Arena.  But what are the details?  Is there a chance we have an Indy Ice situation in 2-3 yrs where the club has no place to play?  ...... Again I'm assuming new ownership has their bases covered but that's just an assumption and logic gets lost sometimes.  That's why I hoped local media would investigate and report on this story. 

Mr Ricochet
23 minutes ago, BucsDM said:

I think before a new arena can even be thought of, they have to clean up the mess the Peleds left.  I heard that they couldn't open up more concession stands recently because they didn't have the product to do so because apparently there were a lot of bills that weren't getting paid.  

Following AA Pro for so many yrs this is almost normal, unpaid bills.  Depends on conditions of the sale whether or not new ownership assumes any debt..... But the new group will buy things on their own credit worthiness not Pelads. 

jimindm

I would have to think the league would want some indication as to an available arena, before they would ever let a sale happen. I have said for a while that the idea of the same group owning the team and the arena likely has put the league in situations they did not want to be in. 

Buccaneer fan I know I thought I had heard they bought it all. I looked at some of the information(what little there is) and found nothing that actually mentioned the arena itself. Maybe when the announced the new ownership before the game is was stated then. I am sure they bought it all, just can not find it in any information.

I think Peleds did leave a mess. If it did not make them money, they did not do it. The second game of the year, my buddy went to get a hot dog for his kid, a few minutes left in period one. They were out. He asked out as in they are still cooking or none left. He said non left in the building. I know a beer guy and he has said they have been on COD for almost a year.

Asked a worker in the hall a few weeks ago, about merchandise in the Bucs club(Or the lack of). His comment was he has to order game pucks by the box, and get the OK from higher up to do so, and there had been no mention of any orders for club merchandise. This was like the second game of the season.

I could see where there is a lot of upgrades that could happen. My guess is that much of it is so old, that is will not be a modification to the existing systems, but whole new systems. Lighting, scoreboard, sound systems, and more.

I would say the first thing they need to do, is make it easier for the fan to spend money. Get them to enjoy coming and want to come back.

A few of those would be the line to get in, should never be twenty people outside the door. I do not know weather it takes some time to run a credit card, or if the ticket printers are slow, or not enough people selling them to begin with, or what. Having a line outside the door when the game starts, is not the beginning a of fun night.

Get the concessions up and working. What ever it takes. It should not take ten minutes to get something.

One of the first things I would do is turn the thermostat up in the arena. I get it that hockey is a cold weather sport. I just do not think you need to dress in Carharts to come to a game. A family sat in front of us the last game. The little boy was sitting on moms lap, with her jacket sort of wrapped around both of them. The little girl had a heavier coat on, and still complained about being cold. Dad finally took his jacket of sort off, and wrapped them all up. He was gone the entire second intermission to get some hot chocolate. They were gone by the middle of the third period.

There is so many things, that cost a little, that can pay back fast and in big ways.

One thing is for sure. It took prior ownership several years to run it in to the ground, the new group has owned it less than a week. Give them some time.