Mr Ricochet

October USHL Power Rankings

Mr Ricochet

USHL Site  Link

September ranking had the Phantoms ranked #1, Aces go in and convincingly sweep em on the road and the Aces with by far the best goal differential are ranked 7th while YT is ranked 6th??

Steel get clubbed about the head 10-5 at home by 23 16yr olds playing their first ever USHL game and are ranked 2nd?

Gamblers undefeated ranked 15th? 

Saints with a -5 goal differential ranked 4th?

1. Waterloo Black Hawks (7)

2. Chicago Steel (4)

3. Fargo Force (3)

4. Dubuque Fighting Saints

5. Muskegon Lumberjacks (2)

6. Youngstown Phantoms (1)

7. Central Illinois Flying Aces

8. Sioux Falls Stampede

9. Sioux City Musketeers

10. Omaha Lancers

11. Des Moines Buccaneers

12. Tri-City Storm

13. Lincoln Stars

14. Team USA

15. Green Bay Gamblers

16. Madison Capitols

17. Cedar Rapids RoughRiders

Maiden

The 17 people who voted should have there credentials revoked.

Edit:  I didn't see this part

Editor's note: votes were submitted following the USHL Fall Classic on Oct. 3rd.

Edited by Maiden

Mr Ricochet
6 minutes ago, Maiden said:

The 17 people who voted should have there credentials revoked.

A bit funky for sure, not a lot of time spent looking it over that's for sure.   A full month of October hockey should give the "voters" some data to work with.

I've got CI #1 after the opening weekend.  Glad they ain't playing Friday cuz I find myself choosing their game on Hockey TV before any other.  This way I get to see the Steeeeel battle MUS, Loo at DBQ and that SC at TC tilt will be one I'll have to see.  Get to see SC in HD, in that beautiful feed/production out of TC, which only happens so many times as their feed is SD.

MadhouseOnHickman

11 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

A bit funky for sure, not a lot of time spent looking it over that's for sure.   A full month of October hockey should give the "voters" some data to work with.

I've got CI #1 after the opening weekend.  Glad they ain't playing Friday cuz I find myself choosing their game on Hockey TV before any other.  This way I get to see the Steeeeel battle MUS, Loo at DBQ and that SC at TC tilt will be one I'll have to see.  Get to see SC in HD, in that beautiful feed/production out of TC, which only happens so many times as their feed is SD.

Teams do not get anything in return for broadcasting their games in HD, no incentive. I agree however... whenever Des Moines plays on the road with HD feed I am excited to watch. Have a nice weekend everyone... 

Ironranger

Hey guys, I'm new to this and getting educated on the USHL. Full disclosure, have a kiddo in the league for YT.  Was in the BCHL last year, and no comparison. Yet am a far too old hockey guy....and thought the way CI played last week was pretty unique this early. No way they could have set systems to make the plays they did. Had to be pure hockey intelligence on the kids, off read and react. Being said, it was a serious mess both games from a systems standpoint. YT to me is interesting. Bunch of talented and very successful kids from other Jr leagues, who are getting their feet wet in the U-show (Kids terms, not mine). It'll be interesting to see how they adjust. Yet history usually repeats itself.....time will tell.

Great league, great site Scott....happy to be a part of it. 

ps. more than anything...these are good kids, trying like hell to be better. There are no losers...Have a good weekend!

Mr Ricochet
2 hours ago, Ironranger said:

Hey guys, I'm new to this and getting educated on the USHL. Full disclosure, have a kiddo in the league for YT.  Was in the BCHL last year, and no comparison. Yet am a far too old hockey guy....and thought the way CI played last week was pretty unique this early. No way they could have set systems to make the plays they did. Had to be pure hockey intelligence on the kids, off read and react. Being said, it was a serious mess both games from a systems standpoint. YT to me is interesting. Bunch of talented and very successful kids from other Jr leagues, who are getting their feet wet in the U-show (Kids terms, not mine). It'll be interesting to see how they adjust. Yet history usually repeats itself.....time will tell.

Great league, great site Scott....happy to be a part of it. 

ps. more than anything...these are good kids, trying like hell to be better. There are no losers...Have a good weekend!

Firstly congrats to you and your family one getting your boy to such a hih level. As you know it's a sacrifice a family makes from a very young age.

Glad you found us and going by this post I sure hope you do so more often.  Yes and yes, CI was so tight, so layered in their attack, the transisition was like midseason form not to mention both goalies looked the part of a USHL #1.

But let me tell you this.  The Steel's first preseaon game they hosted CI.  By the 2nd period I thought this group looks like the 2016/17 Chicago Steel in their structure.  The Steel dominated the first 10 minutes and CI did not run around, stuck to the system (as you mention what system in game 1 or the regular season this was game 1 of the PREseason) and slowly but surely their structure/preperation/buy in just wore the Steel out, same as they did to YT.  ........Got a visit with 5 minutes left from a guy from last yr to say hello and I told him straight away this team reminds me of the Steel cup team.

You are spot on about how CI, to paraphrase, looked in midseason form.  But man they looked like that in Game 1 of the preseason against what should be a solid Steel group!!  And IMO you're correct in that overall team IQ was a big takeaway.

Gotta mention coach Mike Watt.  He's also the GM and as far as I know he put together the roster and is coaching it as well and as far as I know this is his first foray as a head coach besides HS.  http://www.eliteprospects.com/staff.php?staff=18082  It's very fresh and exciting and they play a style of attack, attack, attack from all 3 zones that is just fun to watch. 

This site was started 10 yrs ago for AA pro and Watt was in that league, UHL, for a yr in the very same building Muskegon Jacks play in.  He was suprememely talented at that level, he played 160 NHL games, and I remember like yesterday how the guy worked the point on the PP.  You could see the wheels turning and how cereberal he was.  The guy was so skilled but if you isolated on him you could see his IQ  was his best asset.

Dude is a pure rink rat lifer.  He's played everywhere and I'd image he's been influenced by numerous coaches, in multiple countries at multiple levels along the way.  http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=6448

This league has first rate coaches everywhere.  They will adjust to CI and we'll see how they adjust to those adjustements but to my eye it's a helluv an exciting must see brand of hockey.