MikeA

United Hockey League (UHL) returning?

MikeA

https://www.unitedhockeyleague.com/

I have no idea who is involved with this, anyone out there with any info? Seen some speculation this is somehow tied into the FHL.

A 50 game schedule from October 2018-March 2019 with teams based throughout the Midwest and Eastern US.

In it's day, I loved the UHL and before that the Colonial League. You will never see minor pro hockey like that again these days, especially the physical/Slapshot aspect of the early CoHL days. I frankly don't see this going anywhere but very curious who is involved in trying to re-start this league down to using the same/similar logo and old Quad City Mallards and Flint Generals pictures on the site.  

Mr Ricochet

Mike, I got an email a couple days ago saying just what is reported at their site.  That they are gonna give a Midwestern based league a go.  My guy knows of no cities or ownership groups.  ............ My first thought was all those cities are playing in other leagues and doing well. 

If it comes along I will support unaffiliated AA pro.  The Edge in Bensenville needs a tenant now that the Steel have gone to Fox Valley.

HotShot
On 10/10/2017 at 7:18 PM, Mr Ricochet said:

Mike, I got an email a couple days ago saying just what is reported at their site.  That they are gonna give a Midwestern based league a go.  My guy knows of no cities or ownership groups.  ............ My first thought was all those cities are playing in other leagues and doing well. 

If it comes along I will support unaffiliated AA pro.  The Edge in Bensenville needs a tenant now that the Steel have gone to Fox Valley.

Something like the Hounds at The Edge?! Oh man! I might have to buy a bus ticket for three! :tard2:

Mr Ricochet
12 hours ago, HotShot said:

Something like the Hounds at The Edge?! Oh man! I might have to buy a bus ticket for three! :tard2:

Yea, something like that.  Much easier and cheaper to play out of the edge than the 7,000 seat Sears Centre. 

double_d

Rumor has it that the UHL is returning with Barry Soskin behind the scene and running the show. 

Its no secret that Soskin and the FHL haven't played well in the sand box.  He's the only reason the FHL still exists.

I'd bet that Soskin takes his three (3) FHL teams; Pt. Huron, Danville, and Carolina and ropes in three more locations to round out his 6 team, mid-west league.

Reason I say this.  Just look up the unitedhockeyleague.com site under the trademark registration site.  https://www.uspto.gov/trademark

Just happens to be the same address as one of the current FHL GM's..... 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/fhlforums/interesting-info-on-new-old-league-forming-t561.html?sid=e276dc22d2b44cf911e82b81e8557a85

If this league gets off the ground, makes me wonder what other potential cities they could try to get into that have legit 1500+ seating in the footprint of the former UHL?

Guesses;

Elmira- NY, Madison- WI, Motor City (Fraser, MI) Bloomington -IL, Danbur- CT ?

Could other midwest cities with current teams in other leagues join to save money on travel?

Evansville- IN, Peoria-IL

Mr Ricochet

Nice post, DD.  Thanks for the scoop and effort............ Refresh my memory on Soskin.  Can't recall what leagues he's been involved with.  You think if he pulls those said franchises from the FHL he might kill both leagues? 

I think Peoria, IL is a fixture in the SPHL.  Again, love to see a franchise at the old Steel (USHL) home in Bensenville, IL.  Does Dayton, OH still have ice?  Bloomington, IL?  Man who knows with that city but the arena is so big it's tough to pay the bills there. 

Mr Ricochet

Not as familiar with DBQ's lines but looks to be shaken up as they've scored 4 goals in 4 games. 

double_d
3 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Nice post, DD.  Thanks for the scoop and effort............ Refresh my memory on Soskin.  Can't recall what leagues he's been involved with.  You think if he pulls those said franchises from the FHL he might kill both leagues? 

I think Peoria, IL is a fixture in the SPHL.  Again, love to see a franchise at the old Steel (USHL) home in Bensenville, IL.  Does Dayton, OH still have ice?  Bloomington, IL?  Man who knows with that city but the arena is so big it's tough to pay the bills there. 

Soskin has a long reputation of unpaid bills, burned bridges, leaving markets, etc, etc.

Optics show Soskin will likely pull his three FHL teams (PH, Carolina, and Danville) and use them in the new UHL 2.0.

Wishing for a Chicago franchise is just that.  With the NHL, AHL, and USHL in the market, there is no way a single A team could be successful. 

Dayton lost Hara Arena last fall.  The city tore it down.  Old and obsolete.  No single A club could afford to play at the Nutter Center (9,000 + seats) in downtown Dayton. 

Only arena in Ohio that the UHL could move into is Troy- Hobart Arena (seats 3,000 or so) for hockey.

The UHL will need 6 teams.  I don't know where the other 3 will come from?