Maiden

2017 USHL Fall Classic Schedule (tentative)

Maiden

All dates, times and opponents subject to change. Some teams have only 2 games; others 3.

Weds 9/27

Cedar Rapids Roughriders Fargo Force 1:00

Green Bay Gamblers Sioux Falls Stampede 4:00

Waterloo Black Hawks Youngstown Phantoms 7:00

Thurs 9/28

Fargo Force Green Bay Gamblers 10:00

Omaha Lancers Sioux Falls Stampede 1:00

Waterloo Black Hawks Chicago Steel 4:00

Cedar Rapids Roughriders Sioux City Musketeers 7:00

Dubuque Fighting Saints Lincoln Stars 8:00

Fri 9/29

Fargo Force Omaha Lancers 10:00

Sioux Falls Stampede Cedar Rapids Roughriders 1:00

Bloomington Thunder Des Moines Buccaneers 4:00

Chicago Steel Lincoln Stars 7:00

Tri City Storm Green Bay Gamblers 2:00

Waterloo Black Hawks Dubuque Fighting Saints 5:00

Muskegon Lumberjacks Sioux City Musketeers 8:00

Sat 9/30

Dubuque Fighting Saints Omaha Lancers 10:45

Madison Capitals Bloomington Thunder 1:45

Tri City Storm Muskegon Lumberjacks 4:45

Youngstown Phantoms Des Moines Buccaneers 7:45

Chicago Steel Team USA18 8:00

Sun 10/1

Tri City Storm Bloomington Thunder 10:45

Muskegon Lumberjacks Madison Capitals 1:45

Youngstown Phantoms Team USA18 4:45

Edited by Maiden

Mr Ricochet

Thanks, Maiden...........

Going through a few teams I count 3 games for each club. If correct do you remember if it way always this way, each team playing 3 times?

Speaking as a Steel fan I like the quality of the competition being WTL, LIN and the 18's. A solid chance to evaluate the roster IMO.

Yeti

Seems silly to travel all that way out there (Pittsburgh), and only play two games like the Stars do.

redwing77

Seems silly to travel all that way out there (Pittsburgh), and only play two games like the Stars do.

Edited by redwing77

Maiden

Thanks, Maiden...........

Going through a few teams I count 3 games for each club. If correct do you remember if it way always this way, each team playing 3 times?

Speaking as a Steel fan I like the quality of the competition being WTL, LIN and the 18's. A solid chance to evaluate the roster IMO.

I have Des Moines, Lincoln, Madison, Sioux City, Team USA only playing 2 games.

In the past there have been last minute scheduling changes.

atrain

Sioux City, Des Moines, and Lincoln should save a lot of money and stay home and scrimmage each other! Travel all that way to play 2 hockey games is ridiculous, put the fall classic back in the Midwest where it belongs and I guarantee the scouts will show up or they wont have any incoming talent! This league has lost all common sense lately everything they do seems to push long time fans away instead of drawing in new and maintaining the current fan base.

redwing77

Sioux City, Des Moines, and Lincoln should save a lot of money and stay home and scrimmage each other! Travel all that way to play 2 hockey games is ridiculous, put the fall classic back in the Midwest where it belongs and I guarantee the scouts will show up or they wont have any incoming talent! This league has lost all common sense lately everything they do seems to push long time fans away instead of drawing in new and maintaining the current fan base.

I think it has been established that this Fall showcase isn't about the fans. It's about showcasing the USHL to scouts of NCAA, CHL, and NHL teams (among other scouts I'm sure).

I'm not entirely certain as to why Pittsburgh rather than a major midwest hub such as Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis, or even Denver but whatever.

Maiden

The NHL is calling the shots on this one. All the USHL could say was " yes sir."

In addition, the fall classic went south the minute the USHL included the minor midget and bantam youth levels.

They tried to make everyone happy by doing so. Fans be damned.

Edited by Maiden

atrain

I think it has been established that this Fall showcase isn't about the fans. It's about showcasing the USHL to scouts of NCAA, CHL, and NHL teams (among other scouts I'm sure).

I'm not entirely certain as to why Pittsburgh rather than a major midwest hub such as Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis, or even Denver but whatever.

After having been involved in the fall classic many years there are many bars in any USHL City more than capable of pouring the scouts favorite drinks. As much as I wish it was about what you say showcasing the USHL to the scouts, it is more of a paid vacation billed to each employer of said scout, after the first day. Now if the NCAA, Chl, or NHL want to start footing the bill for all the ushl teams to travel out to Pittsburgh area go for it, but when you have teams traveling that far that are struggling to pay bills for 2-3 games it makes no sense.

MuskiesFan4Ever

Scouts from all the NCAA, CHL, and NHL teams never had any problems finding the USHL Fall Classic for the many many years it was held in Sioux City. Just saying.

Mr Ricochet

The NHL is calling the shots on this one. All the USHL could say was " yes sir."

In addition, the fall classic went south the minute the USHL included the minor midget and bantam youth levels.

They tried to make everyone happy by doing so. Fans be damned.

No idea if this is true or not but makes it good sense. As atrain mentions having the thing in Pittsburgh isn't done with current USHL fans in mind but it also makes sense the USHL wants to expose its product outside the footprint as well and that can't really be done in season. ...........Long term if a decision is good for the league it will generally be good for the fans of the league but I know at FYC at least there was always a buzz going into the FC when it was held at Sioux City.

http://www.ushl.com/news_article/show/812797-ushl-announces-2017-fall-classic-dates

“The USHL Fall Classic always provides the ideal scouting opportunity for the management and scouts of the 31 NHL teams to view the top USHL talent available for the NHL Draft,” said Dan Marr, Director of NHL Central Scouting. “This year provides an even more unique opportunity with all 17 USHL teams participating in one location. The Fall Classic serves as an important evaluation benchmark for players heading into the 2018 NHL Draft, and we are pleased that this successful event is part of a growing partnership between the USHL, NHL and Pittsburgh Penguins.”

redwing77

After having been involved in the fall classic many years there are many bars in any USHL City more than capable of pouring the scouts favorite drinks. As much as I wish it was about what you say showcasing the USHL to the scouts, it is more of a paid vacation billed to each employer of said scout, after the first day. Now if the NCAA, Chl, or NHL want to start footing the bill for all the ushl teams to travel out to Pittsburgh area go for it, but when you have teams traveling that far that are struggling to pay bills for 2-3 games it makes no sense.

Scouts from all the NCAA, CHL, and NHL teams never had any problems finding the USHL Fall Classic for the many many years it was held in Sioux City. Just saying.

Both of you are preaching to the choir here.

Maiden

Has anyone heard information on when tickets go on sale?

They could start by officially announcing the schedule.

Maiden

Just an FYI for those that care. Youngstown is shown to be playing Team USA U18 at 4:45 pm Sunday October 1.

Sun 10/1

​A quick look at Notre Dame's schedule and uh oh.

10/01/17 USNTDP # Notre Dame, Ind. (Compton Family Ice Arena) 5:05 p.m. ET

The U17s were not scheduled for the Fall Classic so unless they change there mind I would think this game could be moved to Friday or there could be multiple changes forthcoming.

Hockeyfan101

Just an FYI for those that care. Youngstown is shown to be playing Team USA U18 at 4:45 pm Sunday October 1.

Sun 10/1

​A quick look at Notre Dame's schedule and uh oh.

10/01/17 USNTDP # Notre Dame, Ind. (Compton Family Ice Arena) 5:05 p.m. ET

The U17s were not scheduled for the Fall Classic so unless they change there mind I would think this game could be moved to Friday or there could be multiple changes forthcoming.

http://www.ushl.com/view/#/schedule?team=-1&season=64&month=-1&location=homeaway&league=1&league_code=USHL&division_id=-1

According to this Youngstown is playing Des Moines not Team USA. on October 1st........

Maiden

Quite a few changes to the tentative schedule. Mr Rico will not be pleased the Steel lost there 9/30 game vs Team USA

Mr Ricochet

Quite a few changes to the tentative schedule. Mr Rico will not be pleased the Steel lost there 9/30 game vs Team USA

Always a good day when a club plays the U-18's and their soon to be 15 drafted kids. But Loo, DM and LIN should give the Steel staff plenty to evaluate from. In fact non-NTDP USHL teams are probably better early in the season. Maybe midway through the season the U-18's are a beast.

BEADMAN

Heard the NHL pitched in $280k and the city of Pittsburg pitched in $100k to bring the Fall Classic there!! What I heard from a source.

Maiden

Then should be flying the teams to Pittsburgh with that kind of loot. Instead many 10+ hour bus trips in store.

And nobody utter these stupid ridiculous words after this. "Kids can Bond"  

Nobody bonds on a bus.