• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:35 AM

Has anyone done it, gone to a streaming service and cut off your cable?   I'm in the process of doing so and so far I think it's gonna work out cutting my bill from $105.00 per month down to $45.00.  I'm only 3 days into it and have yet to order the streaming service, I'm gonna go with Playstation Vue and already have the Roku Stick and the Ultra set top box.  Only bought the Ultra so I can hard wire if I choose and run it through my stereo which you can't do with the Stick.

This can be done for as little as 20 bucks a month and a $50.00 Roku Stick depending on how many channels you need.  As far as setting this up it is incredibly easy, anyone can do this. 

As I mentioned I'm only a few days in but will share what little I know if anyone is interested or if anyone has done so and want to share what kind of set up and cost savings you've gotten from streaming please do so. 

Found this site the most complete and easy to understand what streaming is and what's available:  https://www.grounded...v-alternatives/

Playstation Vue to get a look at the channels and pricing:  https://www.playstat...us/network/vue/

Roku devices, which by the way can record.   https://www.cnet.com...eap-30-dollars/

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#2 hackshow22

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:Dangles, chuckin pizzas, snippin ched, dirty cellys. Just keep on givin'er.

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

I did this for a year with only internet, and used Netflix with some rabbit ears and it was fine for the basics- football season, tv shows, hockey on NBC.  However, I didn't utilize any other services, so it did get old after a while.  If I had to do it over again, I would've gotten a Roku as well.  

"I don't care how fast a skater you are, if you don't play this game with a big heart and a big bag of knuckles in front of the net, you don't got dinky-do".

#3 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:44 PM

I'm reading a lot of that too, Hack.  Get and antenna whether it be on the roof or an electronic one and supplement that with something like Netflix.   Just read a guy from Philadelphia post he gets 39 HD channels with his electronic antenna for free.   Where you live has a lot to do with what's available. 

Why did you stop watching over the internet or not just run your internet through your tv?   Add the NHL app and Hockey tv and you're in business.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#4 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:03 PM

Sling tv (Orange) is the cheapest entry as far as I know. TWENTY bucks a month gives you a nice little package.   Think they charge 5 bucks a month to record though:     https://www.tomsguid...news-22923.html

https://www.sling.com/service

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#5 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:06 PM

Also no contracts with streaming services.  You pay by the month.  Many jump from Sling, to Playstation Vue to Direct TV Now, to You Tube TV until they find something that fits. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#6 redwing77

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:55 PM

I'm considering jumping to streaming only.  I have Netflix already.  Not sure whether to do Sling or Playstation Vue (leaning towards Vue).  I don't know much about Hulu either.

The antenna also is something I'm clueless about.  Is it just as simple as "plug into tv and put on stable,flat surface nearby?"  or do I have to crawl around in crawl spaces (like the Attic) or drill a hole to mount it exterior?

#7 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:26 PM

Remember you get a 5 day free trial with Playstation Vue and 7 day with Sling.  It's not like choosing between Comcast, Dish or Direct TV where they come and install equipment.   And if you choose Sling after the free trial for instance you're only locked in for one month and you can switch to Playstation or any other streaming service.  You can switch every month if you want to.  I'm cutting the cord and trying Playstation after I get back from WJSS and I'll share how I like it.  Lotta channels and can record anything for 28 days.  

What you do have to choose from that will have a lasting consequence is a set top box device like Roku, Amazon Firestick, Apple, Chromecast just to name a few of many.  You have to research what's good for you.  What can you hook up to your tv or home theater system for instance.  You gonna hard wire or go wireless.  How strong is your wireless signal.  ............ I love the Roku so far.  She has the Stick, (a dual processor) 50 bucks, thing is fast and I have the Ultra, 130 bucks, that can be hard wired or used wireless and an optical (audio) port to run through my stereo (AVR). 

As far as an antenna for local stations go to the Playstation Vue site and type in your zip and it will tell you if you get local channels.  You might not need and antenna.  But if you do, yea you can get on the roof or simply get and electronic one.  I don't need one as far as I know I'm close enough to Chicago but from what little I've read you can get very very good ones for 50 bucks and under.  Again research that.  Plenty of reviews out there. 

I've read of people getting an antenna and getting 20+ HD channels and the just use Netflix and pan ZERO per month for tv and 9 bucks for Netflix.  .........There is so much competition in the streaming service and set top box market the products are very good.  A lot of freedom, choice, options and from what I can tell anyone can cut their bill in at least half and keep most of what you like.  I'm going from 105 to 45 and keeping every channel I currently watch. 

It really is simple.  The only thing that makes the process confusing is the choice of services and set top box devices.  Once you choose installation is very very simple. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#8 Storminator16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

I've been doing it for about 6 years now.  Local tv w/ mounted antenna + Netflix/Hulu/Hockey TV has been my staple with some other Internet services smattered in (Youtube/Britbox, etc.).  I've done the Sling TV thing for about 10 months now but I don't really watch it too much outside of sports (mostly soccer).  I believe in total I'm paying close $100 for all but it beats cable. 

Rokus are the best bet.

Edited by Storminator16, 04 August 2017 - 09:06 AM.

#9 TheShow

Cup Winning Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

I only watch TV for sports, so my "TV bill" consists of the NHL/MLB/MLS season subscriptions and I switch between Sling packages depending on the season, since I don't want to go full boat for ESPN and Fox, I just rotate them. 

Cant imagine going full cable and their FIVE HUNDRED channel packages with 200 music channels, 100 spanish channels and 120 home and gardening related things. Gross. 

#10 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:49 PM

Helpful post fellas, thanks for sharing.   Stumbled across this site.  http://streamfare.com/msnbc.html      Free live streams.  Click on the video tab at the top right to see what's available.  ....... News channels as well as ABC, NBC and CBS with this site and an antenna one could get by for free!!   Add NHL internet package and Hockey tv and you're in business. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#11 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:28 PM

Wanted to share a find.  Already posted a must have site for cord cutting in the first post, Grounded Reason.    https://www.groundedreason.com/watch-tv-free-antenna-guide/             Reading through on antennas he linked to this site where you enter your address and it gives you all the scoop on what kind of signal you'll get at your house.     From there you decide which antenna would work for you.    https://www.tvfool.c...apper&Itemid=29

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock