• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Glenn Gumbley

Checking Forward

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:26 PM

Imagine how a GM's head hurts trying to keep up with movement all over the place. It is kind of fun to compare the USHL lists with the CHL lists and try and figure out what the USHL folks are doing. Lincoln has me stumped unless he considers those 97s have value.

Glenn, all franchises are not created equally.  Some are more resourced (money) than others, not breaking news.  A franchise that purely wants to win can't pay players to come (they can pay a franchise from another league from around the world for a player though assuming he'll come) but they can pay management types to monitor and network the world to be the first to take advantage of any changes that makes players available.  ...... And yea as you mention it can be fun to monitor this kind of administrative end of the sport if you know how to do so, which I don't.  IMO jr hockey is the toughest of all sports to follow even in this world of Google we live in. And the unknown or secrecy is the most fertile of grounds for speculation and rumor. 

Now I haven't followed the protected lists per say of USHL clubs over the yrs.  The league has not exactly made it easy to do so.  But IIRC the vast majority of the league doesn't come close to using the 4 overager spots available (be glad to be corrected on this).   Overagers are generally role players and not difference makers per say, generally, unlike Major Junior where many OA are shackled due to The Indentured Servitude Clause and are difference makers or at least more than role players.  Another stark difference between MJ and the USHL. 

Didn't realize LIN had 7 OA's protected until you mentioned it and like you don't understand it.  The Steel by the way have one protected, CR none and powerhouse DBQ two for instance.  Again haven't followed this much but it would seem if you have so many OA's protected on a list of precious few spots you have a dearth of players who would be something other than role players.

We'll know once the 23 man lists are hammered out. 

Yes it is fun and fans do it year round. Helps if you have done it before I guess. Right on about money it must be nice to be a Steel fan don't they have the biggest administrative staff in the league, sure looks like it. :)

#22 Maiden

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:14 PM

October 3rd – All teams must make necessary drops to get to their 23-man protected list (6:00PM Central)

October 24th – Any team carrying five (5) 1997-born players must submit paperwork dropping one on this date (6:00PM Central)

I don't recall this being the case in years past. This gives teams 3 full weeks of regular season play to iron out their OA situation.

#23 Yeti

Go Stars!

• Global Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:27 PM

October 3rd All teams must make necessary drops to get to their 23-man protected list (6:00PM Central)

October 24th Any team carrying five (5) 1997-born players must submit paperwork dropping one on this date (6:00PM Central)

I don't recall this being the case in years past. This gives teams 3 full weeks of regular season play to iron out their OA situation.

New to me also, Maiden.

#24 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:37 PM

Glenn, all franchises are not created equally.  Some are more resourced (money) than others, not breaking news.  A franchise that purely wants to win can't pay players to come (they can pay a franchise from another league from around the world for a player though assuming he'll come) but they can pay management types to monitor and network the world to be the first to take advantage of any changes that makes players available.  ...... And yea as you mention it can be fun to monitor this kind of administrative end of the sport if you know how to do so, which I don't.  IMO jr hockey is the toughest of all sports to follow even in this world of Google we live in. And the unknown or secrecy is the most fertile of grounds for speculation and rumor. 

Now I haven't followed the protected lists per say of USHL clubs over the yrs.  The league has not exactly made it easy to do so.  But IIRC the vast majority of the league doesn't come close to using the 4 overager spots available (be glad to be corrected on this).   Overagers are generally role players and not difference makers per say, generally, unlike Major Junior where many OA are shackled due to The Indentured Servitude Clause and are difference makers or at least more than role players.  Another stark difference between MJ and the USHL. 

Didn't realize LIN had 7 OA's protected until you mentioned it and like you don't understand it.  The Steel by the way have one protected, CR none and powerhouse DBQ two for instance.  Again haven't followed this much but it would seem if you have so many OA's protected on a list of precious few spots you have a dearth of players who would be something other than role players.

Yes it is fun and fans do it year round. Helps if you have done it before I guess. Right on about money it must be nice to be a Steel fan don't they have the biggest administrative staff in the league, sure looks like it. :)

Not sure how far back you go with the USHL but as early as 3 yrs ago the Steel would draft/sign local kids so they didn't have to pay a billet, draft many kids simply cuz they would report and I can say with 100% certainty there were a few yrs where not one dollar was in the advertising budget.  That's the Steel 95% of their fans from inception know. 

My teams don't have to win, man.  I was one of the few hundred in the joint watching them get beat instead of going to the AHL Wolves, AHL Hogs or NHL Hawks.  50% of the game is the other team and I got to see PK's Hawks, Carslon's Riders, whoever was coaching the powerhouse Saint's, Cooper's Gamblers and Noreen's heavy/skilled/fast teams as well as plenty of others. 

Now you seem to have a pattern of answering questions with questions and intimate knowledge.  You tell me if the Mighty Steel have a deeper staff than the rest of the league.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#25 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:44 PM

October 3rd All teams must make necessary drops to get to their 23-man protected list (6:00PM Central)

October 24th Any team carrying five (5) 1997-born players must submit paperwork dropping one on this date (6:00PM Central)

New to me also, Maiden.

Interesting and yea as far as I know new.  Don't think it will make much difference to most of the league.  By my count only LIN, 7, MAD, 6 and YT, 5 have more that 4 OA  protected. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#26 Glenn Gumbley

Checking Forward

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:56 PM

Not sure how far back you go with the USHL but as early as 3 yrs ago the Steel would draft/sign local kids so they didn't have to pay a billet, draft many kids simply cuz they would report and I can say with 100% certainty there were a few yrs where not one dollar was in the advertising budget.  That's the Steel 95% of their fans from inception know. 

My teams don't have to win, man.  I was one of the few hundred in the joint watching them get beat instead of going to the AHL Wolves, AHL Hogs or NHL Hawks.  50% of the game is the other team and I got to see PK's Hawks, Carslon's Riders, whoever was coaching the powerhouse Saint's, Cooper's Gamblers and Noreen's heavy/skilled/fast teams as well as plenty of others. 

Now you seem to have a pattern of answering questions with questions and intimate knowledge You tell me if the Mighty Steel have a deeper staff than the rest of the league.

Didn't do a league wide staffing analysis but it looks like they have the right amount of upstairs with the right people doing the right jobs, the proof was in the pudding. It is a lot better to have an owner that understands the difference between sitting in a living room having to turn down a beer and opt for coffee rather then try and make the sale on the phone, and I like the new coaching hire.

I believe you meant carnal rather than "intimate"...right? :)

#27 Glenn Gumbley

Checking Forward

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:58 PM

October 3rd – All teams must make necessary drops to get to their 23-man protected list (6:00PM Central)

October 24th – Any team carrying five (5) 1997-born players must submit paperwork dropping one on this date (6:00PM Central)

Okay that makes more sense. I don't like it as far as the players are concerned...trade bait down.

#28 Ryan

Cup Winning Goalie

• Global Mod
  • 4,381 posts
  • Interests:Musketeers, Avalanche, and USHL hockey.

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:12 PM

New to me also, Maiden.

As Yeti says, news to us. Always has been max to start the year.

Wonder what changed?