• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:23 AM

Saw this on one of Herby's retweets.   Couple things caught my eye of Merritt losing four players to the USHL.  Number one I didn't realize that league didn't have a draft.  Got me to thinking do the other junior leagues in Canada like MJHL, AJHL and SJHL have a draft? 

Also noticed Zach Risteau has jumped to the Steel who he played a handful of games with in 15/16 under the old regime.  Also he's not listed on the protected list and as far as I know he wasn't at tryout camp a couple months ago.

Merritt Herald/Ian Webster   Link

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#2 jj115

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:09 AM

Zach Risteau is on the Stampede protected list and was at their camp. He was sent to Sioux Falls in the Jason O'Neill trade.

#3 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:24 AM

Zach Risteau is on the Stampede protected list and was at their camp. He was sent to Sioux Falls in the Jason O'Neill trade.

Thank you.   Did not know that.  

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#4 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, hunting and fishing. Is there much else?

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:45 AM

Yes, MJ, AJ and SJ still have Bantam drafts.  Not sure on the effectiveness of those drafts in bringing players to the leagues though.  Once a Canadian player hits 18 he can go where ever he wants in the country now, when a few years ago if they left the province they were considered an import player.  CCHL and Maritimes leagues also have a draft.  Not sure on QJAAAL.  BC, OJ, NOJ and SIJ do not have drafts.

There is a difference between someone who plays hockey, and a Hockey Player. which one are you?

#5 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:00 AM

Thanks, ML.   So only Major Junior has territorial rights and once it owns the kid he's theirs until traded or out of eligibility? 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#6 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:33 AM

Thanks, ML.   So only Major Junior has territorial rights and once it owns the kid he's theirs until traded or out of eligibility? 

I don't know if that how I would describe it.  Until a player is 18, he is stuck in his province basically.  I may not be 100% right on that, and I am sure there are loopholes.  But I think that's a good rule of thumb.  Major Junior is divided territory in Canada and the US for the drafts.  After 18 though undrafted players are free agents.  As for drafted players who don't play Major Junior, I am unsure if the team retains their rights forever or if they expire at some point.  I don't do much with MJ any more so I may not be the best source on that.

There is a difference between someone who plays hockey, and a Hockey Player. which one are you?

#7 Glenn Gumbley

Checking Forward

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:20 AM

Yes, MJ, AJ and SJ still have Bantam drafts.  Not sure on the effectiveness of those drafts in bringing players to the leagues though.  Once a Canadian player hits 18 he can go where ever he wants in the country now, when a few years ago if they left the province they were considered an import player.  CCHL and Maritimes leagues also have a draft.  Not sure on QJAAAL.  BC, OJ, NOJ and SIJ do not have drafts.

Interesting, is that new for the MJ, AJ, and SJ? I'm assuming by MJ you mean Manitoba Jr. A as Major Junior has had a Bantam Draft for years now. I know the CCHL has kind of a Bantam Draft but not really binding.

#8 Glenn Gumbley

Checking Forward

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

Major Junior (CHL) does have established territorial rights and unless a player goes all the way through waivers he is stuck in that league, but if a player makes it all the way through waivers it is unlikely another MJ league would be interested.

#9 Glenn Gumbley

Checking Forward

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:35 AM

I don't know if that how I would describe it.  Until a player is 18, he is stuck in his province basically.  I may not be 100% right on that, and I am sure there are loopholes.  But I think that's a good rule of thumb.  Major Junior is divided territory in Canada and the US for the drafts.  After 18 though undrafted players are free agents.  As for drafted players who don't play Major Junior, I am unsure if the team retains their rights forever or if they expire at some point.  I don't do much with MJ any more so I may not be the best source on that.

There are adds and drops all the time on CHL lists and considerable time is spent analyzing the protected lists to see who to add and who to drop or trade. A MJ team may keep a spot on their list for a period of time for certain players to see what they might do, whether they will change from a NCAA route to MJ or leave school. CHL GMs will sometimes get a tip that a player is going to leave College so you will see that team drop someone on their list and add the player that they heard was leaving school.  

#10 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:54 AM

http://www.mjhlhocke...9770-draft-2017

http://www.sjhl.ca/news_article/show/798549-sjhl-2017-bantam-draft 

I was incorrect on the AJ having a draft.  It was discussed last year, and I though had been implemented.  Instead a "letter of intent" system was implemented in January.

#11 Glenn Gumbley

Checking Forward

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:57 AM

http://www.mjhlhocke...9770-draft-2017

http://www.sjhl.ca/news_article/show/798549-sjhl-2017-bantam-draft 

I was incorrect on the AJ having a draft.  It was discussed last year, and I though had been implemented.  Instead a "letter of intent" system was implemented in January.

They don't mean much except for within the league. Lots of laughs when the LOI thing came out...sound familiar?

#12 redwing77

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:23 AM

Saw this on one of Herby's retweets.   Couple things caught my eye of Merritt losing four players to the USHL.  Number one I didn't realize that league didn't have a draft.  Got me to thinking do the other junior leagues in Canada like MJHL, AJHL and SJHL have a draft? 

Also noticed Zach Risteau has jumped to the Steel who he played a handful of games with in 15/16 under the old regime.  Also he's not listed on the protected list and as far as I know he wasn't at tryout camp a couple months ago.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this but...

In the article, Tri City was mistakenly referred to as being in Washington.  There is a hockey team in Washington called the Tri City Americans, but they are in the WHL (Major Juniors) not the USHL.  :D

#13 Glenn Gumbley

Checking Forward

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:03 PM

In the article, Tri City was mistakenly referred to as being in Washington.  There is a hockey team in Washington called the Tri City Americans, but they are in the WHL (Major Juniors) not the USHL.  :D

Now there is a MJ list story. The TC team in Washington State traded to get Paul Kariya's rights and even during the time when there were CHL Cadillac Contracts couldn't get him so he went to Maine and the rest is history. IIRC they kept him on their list until he aged out so it was a wasted spot. It will be interesting to see how Bellows does in Portland this year. He was a Portland Bantam draft on their college list and they ended up keeping him, which worked out. 

#14 herbst20

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:15 PM

Now there is a MJ list story. The TC team in Washington State traded to get Paul Kariya's rights and even during the time when there were CHL Cadillac Contracts couldn't get him so he went to Maine and the rest is history. IIRC they kept him on their list until he aged out so it was a wasted spot. It will be interesting to see how Bellows does in Portland this year. He was a Portland Bantam draft on their college list and they ended up keeping him, which worked out. 

Reminds me of Cedar Rapids drafting Collin Olsen in the futures draft, affiliating him the years he was at the NTDP, adding him to the College list when he went to tOSU.  Olsen ultimately leaves tOSU and Cedar Rapids ultimately trades him to Sioux City for a slew of draft picks

#15 MadhouseOnHickman

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:20 PM

Reminds me of Cedar Rapids drafting Collin Olsen in the futures draft, affiliating him the years he was at the NTDP, adding him to the College list when he went to tOSU.  Olsen ultimately leaves tOSU and Cedar Rapids ultimately trades him to Sioux City for a slew of draft picks

My head hurts after reading that haha

#16 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:51 PM

I did.  Elite Prospects has Metsa and Regush going to Ytown.  They also have Tyler Ward going to TC (USHL) and U of Denver and Risteau going to the Steel but as has been posted he's with Sioux Falls. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#17 Glenn Gumbley

Checking Forward

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:16 PM

My head hurts after reading that haha

Imagine how a GM's head hurts trying to keep up with movement all over the place. It is kind of fun to compare the USHL lists with the CHL lists and try and figure out what the USHL folks are doing. Lincoln has me stumped unless he considers those 97s have value.

#18 BackCheck

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:03 PM

I did.  Elite Prospects has Metsa and Regush going to Ytown.  They also have Tyler Ward going to TC (USHL) and U of Denver and Risteau going to the Steel but as has been posted he's with Sioux Falls. 

Metsa and Regush both were in the Phantoms tryout camp and did very well, making the all-star teams and the 30-man roster. There is no guarantee they make the team but I would give both very good odds. 

#19 crb6

Checking Forward

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 04:03 PM

There are adds and drops all the time on CHL lists and considerable time is spent analyzing the protected lists to see who to add and who to drop or trade. A MJ team may keep a spot on their list for a period of time for certain players to see what they might do, whether they will change from a NCAA route to MJ or leave school. CHL GMs will sometimes get a tip that a player is going to leave College so you will see that team drop someone on their list and add the player that they heard was leaving school.  

Good info and accurate. Some things on here aren't.

#20 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:09 AM

Imagine how a GM's head hurts trying to keep up with movement all over the place. It is kind of fun to compare the USHL lists with the CHL lists and try and figure out what the USHL folks are doing. Lincoln has me stumped unless he considers those 97s have value.

Glenn, all franchises are not created equally.  Some are more resourced (money) than others, not breaking news.  A franchise that purely wants to win can't pay players to come (they can pay a franchise from another league from around the world for a player though assuming he'll come) but they can pay management types to monitor and network the world to be the first to take advantage of any changes that makes players available.  ...... And yea as you mention it can be fun to monitor this kind of administrative end of the sport if you know how to do so, which I don't.  IMO jr hockey is the toughest of all sports to follow even in this world of Google we live in. And the unknown or secrecy is the most fertile of grounds for speculation and rumor. 

Now I haven't followed the protected lists per say of USHL clubs over the yrs.  The league has not exactly made it easy to do so.  But IIRC the vast majority of the league doesn't come close to using the 4 overager spots available (be glad to be corrected on this).   Overagers are generally role players and not difference makers per say, generally, unlike Major Junior where many OA are shackled due to The Indentured Servitude Clause and are difference makers or at least more than role players.  Another stark difference between MJ and the USHL. 

Didn't realize LIN had 7 OA's protected until you mentioned it and like you don't understand it.  The Steel by the way have one protected, CR none and powerhouse DBQ two for instance.  Again haven't followed this much but it would seem if you have so many OA's protected on a list of precious few spots you have a dearth of players who would be something other than role players.

We'll know once the 23 man lists are hammered out. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock