• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:52 PM

Thanks, Skelc.......... Mapquest says the new Caps home is only 6 miles from where they played last yr.  So that won't be a problem for fans with the change in venues. 

Anyone been to Hartmeyer?  Built in 1960 and seating 3,500 it looks like my kind of old barn. 

Looks like a hockey barn, rather than the general-purpose arena they're currently in. Could mean better sightlines for hockey. More intimate atmosphere with fewer empty seats making the place feel empty.

Hey I'd go to a game there and probably enjoy the "feel" of the place.  Most fans that are talking hockey online in July probably would but we are a given.  It's the family of 4-5 that is the target, the casual fan that makes or breaks a franchise.  ....... That's the concern with this arena unless it's just a bridge to the next one. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#22 kwey24

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:18 PM

The Capitols in Hartmeyer. Wow (and not in a good way).  This is definitely not a long-term solution.  Now we know who committed the USHL is to the Caps; because, in reality, this rink should not even be considered USHL-worthy.  In fact, I'd even have my eyebrows raised if an NAHL team were playing in Hartmeyer.  It's definitely understandable why the NA3HL team moved (which actually produces a good number of NCAA DIII and ACHA DI caliber players).  To have a USHL team there now...it really is a long ways behind Buc Arena. 

#23 Maiden

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:07 PM

Des Moines and Madison are in the same boat. A more popular hockey team resides in there town now. (Madison always; Des Moines just recently)

Though the many times I have been to Des Moines the building has been close to capacity. Btw I'm sorry but the place is a dump.

#24 MadhouseOnHickman

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:05 AM

Des Moines and Madison are in the same boat. A more popular hockey team resides in there town now. (Madison always; Des Moines just recently)

Though the many times I have been to Des Moines the building has been close to capacity. Btw I'm sorry but the place is a dump.

Yes Maiden we know

#25 AyziggyZomba

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:57 PM

http://www.wkow.com/...clipId=13596880

I can't believe they are advertising this place sits 3500 as is. They have to be counting the players, the scorekeepers, concession workers...Are they sitting? COUNT EM!

#26 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:04 PM

http://www.wkow.com/...clipId=13596880

I can't believe they are advertising this place sits 3500 as is. They have to be counting the players, the scorekeepers, concession workers...Are they sitting? COUNT EM!

Hoping for the best, Zig.   Looks like they lowered their costs and probably get a lot more of concession money as well.  Place looks like it would get loud if it were filled and had a rambunctious crowd. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#27 eaglesfan

3rd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

if THEY REALLY WANTED TO MAKE MONEY THEY WOULD HAVE WENT TO THE LATE BOB SUTER'S RINK, I DON'T THINK ITS ABOUT MONEY I BELIEVE TRYAN WANTS TO RELOCATE

#28 zero.carb

3rd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Baseball and College Basketball.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

I would prefer to watch the games in the smaller rink.  Sight lines were bad in the big arena.

#29 The Original Zman

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:44 AM

I think you would be pushing it to get 1,000 people in Cap Ice. That would be with people standing in every nook and cranny. Not sure how you make money with that size crowd. Hartmeyer is old and dumpy. I heard that they fixed it up some when the Wisconsin Whalers started playing there, but they left for Oregon so that must have been a better deal. And I agree. No way Hartmeyer holds 3,500.

#30 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, hunting and fishing. Is there much else?

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:59 AM

Hartmeyer is a money saving move, nothing more.  Madison has the Badgers and then no one else.  The CoHL tried the same thing the USHL tried, and it went just as well.

There is a difference between someone who plays hockey, and a Hockey Player. which one are you?

#31 BackCheck

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

I wonder how they're handling season ticket sales. Looks like they had 3 tiers of seating but unless I miss something, I don't think that'll work under the current arena's bleacher seating.