skelc21

Madison Capitols Moving...to new arena

Mr Ricochet

http://www.wkow.com/story/36138971/2017/08/Tuesday/madison-captiols-change-venues-prepare-for-upcoming-season?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=13596880

I can't believe they are advertising this place sits 3500 as is. They have to be counting the players, the scorekeepers, concession workers...Are they sitting? COUNT EM!

Hoping for the best, Zig. Looks like they lowered their costs and probably get a lot more of concession money as well. Place looks like it would get loud if it were filled and had a rambunctious crowd.

eaglesfan

if THEY REALLY WANTED TO MAKE MONEY THEY WOULD HAVE WENT TO THE LATE BOB SUTER'S RINK, I DON'T THINK ITS ABOUT MONEY I BELIEVE TRYAN WANTS TO RELOCATE

zero.carb

I would prefer to watch the games in the smaller rink. Sight lines were bad in the big arena.

The Original Zman

I think you would be pushing it to get 1,000 people in Cap Ice. That would be with people standing in every nook and cranny. Not sure how you make money with that size crowd. Hartmeyer is old and dumpy. I heard that they fixed it up some when the Wisconsin Whalers started playing there, but they left for Oregon so that must have been a better deal. And I agree. No way Hartmeyer holds 3,500.

minor life

Hartmeyer is a money saving move, nothing more. Madison has the Badgers and then no one else. The CoHL tried the same thing the USHL tried, and it went just as well.

BackCheck

I wonder how they're handling season ticket sales. Looks like they had 3 tiers of seating but unless I miss something, I don't think that'll work under the current arena's bleacher seating.

OutdoorJoe

So I dont have any evidence to back this up, bit I just heard a rumor that the Hartmeyer deal fell through and the Caps will now be going to Suters Capitol Ice Arena.

Has anyone else heard this? Once again as far as I know just a rumor.

Update: I see now someone is talking about this on the Caps facebook page (this is not the source I heard the rumor from). Still not enough for me to believe it yet thought.

Edited by OutdoorJoe

Mr Ricochet

So I dont have any evidence to back this up, bit I just heard a rumor that the Hartmeyer deal fell through and the Caps will now be going to Suters Capitol Ice Arena.

Update: I see now someone is talking about this on the Caps facebook page (this is not the source I heard the rumor from). Still not enough for me to believe it yet thought.

What's the deal with this place, Suters Capitol Ice Arena?

TheShow

1300 people.

Jesus.

The Madison/Bloomy expansion was the biggest disaster I've seen in a while.

OutdoorJoe

What's the deal with this place, Suters Capitol Ice Arena?

http://www.capitolicearena.com

I have not been there personally. And once again, Im not implying this is happening. I just heard a rumor and was trying to confirm or deny.

Maiden

1300 people.

Jesus.

Teams need to follow this simple motto from the old western movies. Go West Young Man.

redwing77

1300 people.

Jesus.

Teams need to follow this simple motto from the old western movies. Go West Young Man.

Ignorance rearing its ugly head here but...

Where west? West within Madison/Surrounding area or West as in leaving Madison for...?

Maiden

1300 people.

Jesus.

Ignorance rearing its ugly head here but...

Where west? West within Madison/Surrounding area or West as in leaving Madison for...?

West of the Mississippi River

Maiden

Capitals ownership pulled out of a deal to buy Hartmeyer. Moved all there stuff out of the place and have relocated inside Capital Ice in Middleton.

Edited by Maiden

tpriest

This is a damn shame! My son played up there when he played youth hockey. It's nothing fancy at all. It's clean but small and simple. This was where Madison practiced in the past and played some preseason games I believe. If I was a kid heading to Madison to play in the USHL I would really be discouraged by this. I've been to bigger and nicer rinks that the some NA teams call home.

eaglesfan

Yes my son played for CAPS AAA a few years back, the place is outdated locker room real small, does have or had a pro shop but small not much seating no way 1300 very dark in the rink and the consession stand unless updated is not much best thing going for this is they have a lounge upstairs not sure if they will open it

The Original Zman

Cap Ice had a pro shop that was owned by Bob (the late) and Mary Suter. They also own Gold Medal Sports, another pro shop that was by Hartmeyer and still is in a different location. The pro shop in Cap Ice has been closed from what I heard and inventory moved to Gold Medal. The one concession stand at the rink is tiny based on any standard of measure. Especially for the USHL. If they get even 1,000 people in the rink and a fourth of them go for a popcorn and a pop in between periods, most of them will miss a portion of the next period. And don't even ask about the restrooms or lack there of for a USHL crowd. I thought Hartmeyer was a bad choice. This could be a disaster for the Caps.

eaglesfan

Yea at least 30 min wait just to use the bathroom forgot that one need 100 porta pots outside

Maiden
5 minutes ago, herbst20 said:

Crazy to think the league is allowing play in a 1300 seat arena.  

When you get roughly 1,000 a game at least the place will look full.

The Original Zman
17 hours ago, Hockeyfan101 said:

Well it is official. Madison will be playing at Bob Suter's Capitol Ice Arena.

http://www.madcapshockey.com/news_article/show/828754?referrer_id=2835601

I read some of the comments on their FB Page. Things like I hope they are going to clean up that dump. Maybe they will finally fix the restrooms. Will the fix the scoreboard that has had lights burned out for years. Bad ice. Wooden bleachers. There is a common response from them. They are going to have all you can eat! All you can eat what? As I mentioned before, their concession stand is very small, so unless they increase the size of that one or add several others, you won't be able to get close enough to it during intermission to get anything anyway. They said that they will have a suite too. I am guessing that is the one room overlooking the ice. Interesting to say the least. 

Mr Ricochet

I'm rooting for the Caps.  They are good for the league, ownership has connections to the NHL and deep roots in Wisconsin hockey and IIRC have something like 17 returning USHL players. 

If it takes playing in less than ideal conditions until they get it figured out I'm willing to be patient.