• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 skelc21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:17 AM

From the press release:

The Madison Capitols, a member of the United States Hockey League, will be moving to Hartmeyer Ice Arena on Madison’s East Side for the 2017-18 season, Chairman Ryan Suter announced on Friday, pending league approval.  In addition, Suter has named Andrew Joudrey as the organization’s President.

“We have enjoyed playing at Veterans Memorial Coliseum, and they have been great partners of our over the last three years,” said Suter.  “We want to move into a venue that will allow us to create a more intimate and engaging fan experience during our games.”

Hartmeyer Ice Arena opened in 1960 and seats 3,500 fans for hockey.  The facility originally housed the Wisconsin Badgers men’s ice hockey team before they moved to the Dane County Coliseum in 1967.  Hartmeyer Ice Arena currently hosts the Patriots Youth Hockey Association and the Madison Eastside Lakers Hockey Team.

http://www.madcapsho...rrer_id=2835601

#2 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:16 AM

Thanks, Skelc.......... Mapquest says the new Caps home is only 6 miles from where they played last yr.  So that won't be a problem for fans with the change in venues. 

Anyone been to Hartmeyer?  Built in 1960 and seating 3,500 it looks like my kind of old barn. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#3 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:24 AM

WSJ/Todd Milewski  Caps on the move to Hartmeyer Ice Arena

The change in venue for the Capitols came after officials at the Alliant Energy Center said the Coliseum’s availability decreased because of more concert and event bookings.

“Financially, it just wasn’t making sense for their business model to be in an 8,000-seat stadium,” Clarke said. “Most USHL teams don’t play in a building nearly that big.

“And as busy as the Coliseum is getting now with concerts and events, I was having a really hard time getting them as many home dates as they needed for our agreement.”

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#4 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:25 AM

The Caps, league and their fans are lucky there was an arena available and close by to accommodate the team.  We all saw what happened to the Indy Ice.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#5 MadhouseOnHickman

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:37 AM

Thanks, Skelc.......... Mapquest says the new Caps home is only 6 miles from where they played last yr.  So that won't be a problem for fans with the change in venues. 

Anyone been to Hartmeyer?  Built in 1960 and seating 3,500 it looks like my kind of old barn. 

The Bucs get crap all the time for their barn. I love it. 

#6 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

You must be old school.  I too love the old barns, preferably short glass too so you can hear the action easily.  But being forced to follow the business side of jrs and minor pro it's been made clear to me that you need to have more than just hockey to attract and keep young families coming to the arena.  ...... In other words just the hockey isn't enough. 

Old barns can and do do well though.  WTL's Young Arena rocks, is clean and attracts a lot of young people.  Muskegon's Walker Arena too.  Nothing like an intimate clean old barn.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#7 MadhouseOnHickman

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

You must be old school.  I too love the old barns, preferably short glass too so you can hear the action easily.  But being forced to follow the business side of jrs and minor pro it's been made clear to me that you need to have more than just hockey to attract and keep young families coming to the arena.  ...... In other words just the hockey isn't enough. 

Old barns can and do do well though.  WTL's Young Arena rocks, is clean and attracts a lot of young people.  Muskegon's Walker Arena too.  Nothing like an intimate clean old barn.

Young Arena is one of my favorite places to visit, I live in western iowa and try to get to Waterloo at least once a year. 

#8 AyziggyZomba

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:22 AM

If Hartmeyer seats 3500, I'll lead the NHL in scoring next year...

Hartmeyer is where the original Caps played back in the early 90's. The Wisconsin Whalers, a NA3HL team, left it two years ago to move to Oregon Ice Arena in Madison.  It's wooden bleacher seating on both side, goal line to goal line on the bench side, smaller on the other. They have made some improvements in the last 20 years, but not many. I got a good laugh out of the google reviews:

photo.jpg
"I don't know why this place hasn't been condemned."
photo.jpg
"Ceiling leaks and the ice is generally not the best."

Des Moines has done very little to improve there barn in the last ten years, and just like that, they jump up to the 2nd to worst place to watch a game in the USHL.

#9 MadhouseOnHickman

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:24 AM

If Hartmeyer seats 3500, I'll lead the NHL in scoring next year...

Hartmeyer is where the original Caps played back in the early 90's. The Wisconsin Whalers, a NA3HL team, left it two years ago to move to Oregon Ice Arena in Madison.  It's wooden bleacher seating on both side, goal line to goal line on the bench side, smaller on the other. They have made some improvements in the last 20 years, but not many. I got a good laugh out of the google reviews:

photo.jpg
"I don't know why this place hasn't been condemned."
photo.jpg
"Ceiling leaks and the ice is generally not the best."

Des Moines has done very little to improve there barn in the last ten years, and just like that, they jump up to the 2nd to worst place to watch a game in the USHL.

interesting take.... 

#10 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:26 AM

You been there I assume, Zig?  

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#11 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, hunting and fishing. Is there much else?

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:39 AM

Having had the unfortunate experience of dealing with Hartmeyer, I can say this is likely the beginning of the end of Madison.  Unless someone buys the arena and pours a few hundred thousand, possibly a million into the building this will not work.  This is probably the lowest the USHL could go when it comes to arena quality.  If Zig wins the NHL scoring title, I am going to beat Usain Bolt in the 200 at the next summer Olympics.  This is probably 2000 seats maybe 2500 is everyone sitting is on slimfast and holds their breath.

There is a difference between someone who plays hockey, and a Hockey Player. which one are you?

#12 AyziggyZomba

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

I have, as a Saints fan growing up 20 years ago, and just recently the past two years are my kids now play youth hockey. Of the youth associations in Madison, I think Hartmeyer is the oldest building, Seating wise, it probably holds the most, and the parking is free as opposed to the 10 bucks they gouged you for at the Coliseum, but it's hardly what I'd call USHL standard. It's great for youth hockey, or even Madison high school hockey, but it will take a major overhaul to get it ready in basically 60 days.

Here are some photos:

https://www.google.c...QTOCCMQoioIfjAK

I revisited Buc's arena last year for the first time since I was a player in 96, and I can tell you the place hadn't changed at all. I love the old barns to, but that just doesn't cut it if you're trying to make a profit, and you've got new rinks like Mystique and the Denny. Even Young Arena is 20+ years old now, and still looks great for it's age. Madison has a 4 year old rink in Sun Prairie with 2 sheets of ice, and no anchor tenant. To me, that would make a ton of more sense than moving into a a 60 year old building. I'm happy to see the Capitals stay in Madison, and getting out of the cavernous Coliseum makes sense, but Hartmeyer would only seem like a bandaid.

#13 MadhouseOnHickman

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

I have, as a Saints fan growing up 20 years ago, and just recently the past two years are my kids now play youth hockey. Of the youth associations in Madison, I think Hartmeyer is the oldest building, Seating wise, it probably holds the most, and the parking is free as opposed to the 10 bucks they gouged you for at the Coliseum, but it's hardly what I'd call USHL standard. It's great for youth hockey, or even Madison high school hockey, but it will take a major overhaul to get it ready in basically 60 days.

Here are some photos:

I revisited Buc's arena last year for the first time since I was a player in 96, and I can tell you the place hadn't changed at all. I love the old barns to, but that just doesn't cut it if you're trying to make a profit, and you've got new rinks like Mystique and the Denny. Even Young Arena is 20+ years old now, and still looks great for it's age. Madison has a 4 year old rink in Sun Prairie with 2 sheets of ice, and no anchor tenant. To me, that would make a ton of more sense than moving into a a 60 year old building. I'm happy to see the Capitals stay in Madison, and getting out of the cavernous Coliseum makes sense, but Hartmeyer would only seem like a bandaid.

95-96 or 96-97?

#14 Maiden

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

Having had the unfortunate experience of dealing with Hartmeyer, I can say this is likely the beginning of the end of Madison.  Unless someone buys the arena and pours a few hundred thousand, possibly a million into the building this will not work.  This is probably the lowest the USHL could go when it comes to arena quality.  If Zig wins the NHL scoring title, I am going to beat Usain Bolt in the 200 at the next summer Olympics.  This is probably 2000 seats maybe 2500 is everyone sitting is on slimfast and holds their breath.

This is a 1 year fix while the ownership group decides where to move.

#15 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:04 AM

Here are some photos:

Thank you, Zig............... To my eye the neutral zone looks small.  Wonder if the surface is only 185 ft long?

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#16 eaglesfan

3rd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:37 AM

Possible relocate to Minny wonder if that is Suter's plan

#17 MadhouseOnHickman

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:55 AM

Possible relocate to Minny wonder if that is Suter's plan

I assume this will be Bloomy last season in league, they are hanging by a thread

#18 eaglesfan

3rd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:59 PM

YEA THEY WONT BE AROUND NEXT YEAR THEY HAVE ALREADY FILED PAPERWORK THAT THEY FAILED TO EXECUTE ON TIME LAST YEAR, THEY HAVEN'T EVEN MENTIONED ANYTHING ABOUT TICKETS THIS THEY DONT CARE

#19 MadhouseOnHickman

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:06 PM

YEA THEY WONT BE AROUND NEXT YEAR THEY HAVE ALREADY FILED PAPERWORK THAT THEY FAILED TO EXECUTE ON TIME LAST YEAR, THEY HAVEN'T EVEN MENTIONED ANYTHING ABOUT TICKETS THIS THEY DONT CARE

ARE YOU SURE? lol

#20 Sykotyk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:11 PM

Looks like a hockey barn, rather than the general-purpose arena they're currently in. Could mean better sightlines for hockey. More intimate atmosphere with fewer empty seats making the place feel empty.