skelc21

Madison Capitols Moving...to new arena

skelc21

From the press release:

The Madison Capitols, a member of the United States Hockey League, will be moving to Hartmeyer Ice Arena on Madison’s East Side for the 2017-18 season, Chairman Ryan Suter announced on Friday, pending league approval. In addition, Suter has named Andrew Joudrey as the organization’s President.
“We have enjoyed playing at Veterans Memorial Coliseum, and they have been great partners of our over the last three years,” said Suter. “We want to move into a venue that will allow us to create a more intimate and engaging fan experience during our games.”
Hartmeyer Ice Arena opened in 1960 and seats 3,500 fans for hockey. The facility originally housed the Wisconsin Badgers men’s ice hockey team before they moved to the Dane County Coliseum in 1967. Hartmeyer Ice Arena currently hosts the Patriots Youth Hockey Association and the Madison Eastside Lakers Hockey Team.

http://www.madcapshockey.com/news_article/show/818095?referrer_id=2835601

Mr Ricochet

Thanks, Skelc.......... Mapquest says the new Caps home is only 6 miles from where they played last yr. So that won't be a problem for fans with the change in venues.

Anyone been to Hartmeyer? Built in 1960 and seating 3,500 it looks like my kind of old barn.

Mr Ricochet

WSJ/Todd Milewski Caps on the move to Hartmeyer Ice Arena

The change in venue for the Capitols came after officials at the Alliant Energy Center said the Coliseum’s availability decreased because of more concert and event bookings.

“Financially, it just wasn’t making sense for their business model to be in an 8,000-seat stadium,” Clarke said. “Most USHL teams don’t play in a building nearly that big.

“And as busy as the Coliseum is getting now with concerts and events, I was having a really hard time getting them as many home dates as they needed for our agreement.”

Mr Ricochet

The Caps, league and their fans are lucky there was an arena available and close by to accommodate the team. We all saw what happened to the Indy Ice.

MadhouseOnHickman

Thanks, Skelc.......... Mapquest says the new Caps home is only 6 miles from where they played last yr. So that won't be a problem for fans with the change in venues.

Anyone been to Hartmeyer? Built in 1960 and seating 3,500 it looks like my kind of old barn.

The Bucs get crap all the time for their barn. I love it.

Mr Ricochet

You must be old school. I too love the old barns, preferably short glass too so you can hear the action easily. But being forced to follow the business side of jrs and minor pro it's been made clear to me that you need to have more than just hockey to attract and keep young families coming to the arena. ...... In other words just the hockey isn't enough.

Old barns can and do do well though. WTL's Young Arena rocks, is clean and attracts a lot of young people. Muskegon's Walker Arena too. Nothing like an intimate clean old barn.

MadhouseOnHickman

You must be old school. I too love the old barns, preferably short glass too so you can hear the action easily. But being forced to follow the business side of jrs and minor pro it's been made clear to me that you need to have more than just hockey to attract and keep young families coming to the arena. ...... In other words just the hockey isn't enough.

Old barns can and do do well though. WTL's Young Arena rocks, is clean and attracts a lot of young people. Muskegon's Walker Arena too. Nothing like an intimate clean old barn.

Young Arena is one of my favorite places to visit, I live in western iowa and try to get to Waterloo at least once a year.

AyziggyZomba

If Hartmeyer seats 3500, I'll lead the NHL in scoring next year...

Hartmeyer is where the original Caps played back in the early 90's. The Wisconsin Whalers, a NA3HL team, left it two years ago to move to Oregon Ice Arena in Madison. It's wooden bleacher seating on both side, goal line to goal line on the bench side, smaller on the other. They have made some improvements in the last 20 years, but not many. I got a good laugh out of the google reviews:

photo.jpg
"I don't know why this place hasn't been condemned."
photo.jpg
"Ceiling leaks and the ice is generally not the best."

Des Moines has done very little to improve there barn in the last ten years, and just like that, they jump up to the 2nd to worst place to watch a game in the USHL.

MadhouseOnHickman

If Hartmeyer seats 3500, I'll lead the NHL in scoring next year...

Hartmeyer is where the original Caps played back in the early 90's. The Wisconsin Whalers, a NA3HL team, left it two years ago to move to Oregon Ice Arena in Madison. It's wooden bleacher seating on both side, goal line to goal line on the bench side, smaller on the other. They have made some improvements in the last 20 years, but not many. I got a good laugh out of the google reviews:

photo.jpg
"I don't know why this place hasn't been condemned."
photo.jpg
"Ceiling leaks and the ice is generally not the best."

Des Moines has done very little to improve there barn in the last ten years, and just like that, they jump up to the 2nd to worst place to watch a game in the USHL.

interesting take....

Mr Ricochet

You been there I assume, Zig?

minor life

Having had the unfortunate experience of dealing with Hartmeyer, I can say this is likely the beginning of the end of Madison. Unless someone buys the arena and pours a few hundred thousand, possibly a million into the building this will not work. This is probably the lowest the USHL could go when it comes to arena quality. If Zig wins the NHL scoring title, I am going to beat Usain Bolt in the 200 at the next summer Olympics. This is probably 2000 seats maybe 2500 is everyone sitting is on slimfast and holds their breath.

AyziggyZomba

I have, as a Saints fan growing up 20 years ago, and just recently the past two years are my kids now play youth hockey. Of the youth associations in Madison, I think Hartmeyer is the oldest building, Seating wise, it probably holds the most, and the parking is free as opposed to the 10 bucks they gouged you for at the Coliseum, but it's hardly what I'd call USHL standard. It's great for youth hockey, or even Madison high school hockey, but it will take a major overhaul to get it ready in basically 60 days.

Here are some photos:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x8806548825bc2a31%3A0x3688b3d224f7fdc8!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.madisoniceinc.com%2F!5shartmeyer%20arena%20-%20Google%20Search&imagekey=!1e3!2s-xeLyGkEzEEw%2FWJdY059RODI%2FAAAAAAAAAC8%2FoiuyO6gnJNQpS6HNrthBkYE6r8sAjQSFACLIB&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiU6OvImKzVAhUJ0mMKHQTOCCMQoioIfjAK

I revisited Buc's arena last year for the first time since I was a player in 96, and I can tell you the place hadn't changed at all. I love the old barns to, but that just doesn't cut it if you're trying to make a profit, and you've got new rinks like Mystique and the Denny. Even Young Arena is 20+ years old now, and still looks great for it's age. Madison has a 4 year old rink in Sun Prairie with 2 sheets of ice, and no anchor tenant. To me, that would make a ton of more sense than moving into a a 60 year old building. I'm happy to see the Capitals stay in Madison, and getting out of the cavernous Coliseum makes sense, but Hartmeyer would only seem like a bandaid.

MadhouseOnHickman

I have, as a Saints fan growing up 20 years ago, and just recently the past two years are my kids now play youth hockey. Of the youth associations in Madison, I think Hartmeyer is the oldest building, Seating wise, it probably holds the most, and the parking is free as opposed to the 10 bucks they gouged you for at the Coliseum, but it's hardly what I'd call USHL standard. It's great for youth hockey, or even Madison high school hockey, but it will take a major overhaul to get it ready in basically 60 days.

Here are some photos:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x8806548825bc2a31%3A0x3688b3d224f7fdc8!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.madisoniceinc.com%2F!5shartmeyer%20arena%20-%20Google%20Search&imagekey=!1e3!2s-xeLyGkEzEEw%2FWJdY059RODI%2FAAAAAAAAAC8%2FoiuyO6gnJNQpS6HNrthBkYE6r8sAjQSFACLIB&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiU6OvImKzVAhUJ0mMKHQTOCCMQoioIfjAK

I revisited Buc's arena last year for the first time since I was a player in 96, and I can tell you the place hadn't changed at all. I love the old barns to, but that just doesn't cut it if you're trying to make a profit, and you've got new rinks like Mystique and the Denny. Even Young Arena is 20+ years old now, and still looks great for it's age. Madison has a 4 year old rink in Sun Prairie with 2 sheets of ice, and no anchor tenant. To me, that would make a ton of more sense than moving into a a 60 year old building. I'm happy to see the Capitals stay in Madison, and getting out of the cavernous Coliseum makes sense, but Hartmeyer would only seem like a bandaid.

95-96 or 96-97?

Maiden

Having had the unfortunate experience of dealing with Hartmeyer, I can say this is likely the beginning of the end of Madison. Unless someone buys the arena and pours a few hundred thousand, possibly a million into the building this will not work. This is probably the lowest the USHL could go when it comes to arena quality. If Zig wins the NHL scoring title, I am going to beat Usain Bolt in the 200 at the next summer Olympics. This is probably 2000 seats maybe 2500 is everyone sitting is on slimfast and holds their breath.

This is a 1 year fix while the ownership group decides where to move.

Mr Ricochet

Here are some photos:

Thank you, Zig............... To my eye the neutral zone looks small. Wonder if the surface is only 185 ft long?

MadhouseOnHickman

Possible relocate to Minny wonder if that is Suter's plan

I assume this will be Bloomy last season in league, they are hanging by a thread

eaglesfan

YEA THEY WONT BE AROUND NEXT YEAR THEY HAVE ALREADY FILED PAPERWORK THAT THEY FAILED TO EXECUTE ON TIME LAST YEAR, THEY HAVEN'T EVEN MENTIONED ANYTHING ABOUT TICKETS THIS THEY DONT CARE

MadhouseOnHickman

YEA THEY WONT BE AROUND NEXT YEAR THEY HAVE ALREADY FILED PAPERWORK THAT THEY FAILED TO EXECUTE ON TIME LAST YEAR, THEY HAVEN'T EVEN MENTIONED ANYTHING ABOUT TICKETS THIS THEY DONT CARE

ARE YOU SURE? lol

Sykotyk

Looks like a hockey barn, rather than the general-purpose arena they're currently in. Could mean better sightlines for hockey. More intimate atmosphere with fewer empty seats making the place feel empty.

Mr Ricochet

Looks like a hockey barn, rather than the general-purpose arena they're currently in. Could mean better sightlines for hockey. More intimate atmosphere with fewer empty seats making the place feel empty.

Hey I'd go to a game there and probably enjoy the "feel" of the place. Most fans that are talking hockey online in July probably would but we are a given. It's the family of 4-5 that is the target, the casual fan that makes or breaks a franchise. ....... That's the concern with this arena unless it's just a bridge to the next one.

kwey24

The Capitols in Hartmeyer. Wow (and not in a good way). This is definitely not a long-term solution. Now we know who committed the USHL is to the Caps; because, in reality, this rink should not even be considered USHL-worthy. In fact, I'd even have my eyebrows raised if an NAHL team were playing in Hartmeyer. It's definitely understandable why the NA3HL team moved (which actually produces a good number of NCAA DIII and ACHA DI caliber players). To have a USHL team there now...it really is a long ways behind Buc Arena.

Maiden

Des Moines and Madison are in the same boat. A more popular hockey team resides in there town now. (Madison always; Des Moines just recently)

Though the many times I have been to Des Moines the building has been close to capacity. Btw I'm sorry but the place is a dump.

MadhouseOnHickman

Des Moines and Madison are in the same boat. A more popular hockey team resides in there town now. (Madison always; Des Moines just recently)

Though the many times I have been to Des Moines the building has been close to capacity. Btw I'm sorry but the place is a dump.

Yes Maiden we know

AyziggyZomba

http://www.wkow.com/story/36138971/2017/08/Tuesday/madison-captiols-change-venues-prepare-for-upcoming-season?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=13596880

I can't believe they are advertising this place sits 3500 as is. They have to be counting the players, the scorekeepers, concession workers...Are they sitting? COUNT EM!