CottonEyeJoe42

Rosters

i-pod
3 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

I watch for Pettersen every time I watch the Jacks and I see pretty much every Jack game.  IMO the 2000 is the kind of player who will make or break the Jacks' season.  Hard to say where he will slot due to all the Jack injuries but he's been on the 2nd and 3rd lines.  An extremely skilled kid who played 52 games last yr as a 16 yr old putting up 27 points.  This yr he has 15 points in 23 games being shuffled up and down.

A consistent lineup and defined role this kid could be a difference maker for the Jacks this yr and next. 

I think he is finally starting to come in to his own in Muskegon! I think he is off to school next fall but I could be wrong!

Mr Ricochet
2 hours ago, casemagnum said:

I think SC actually came out on top of this transaction with Omaha. They got a bigger player and some good draft picks for just one player whom had not done much here. Best of wishes to both players. A lot of times it can be good for both.

Seems the trade was made more for the picks than anything else, no?  Is this the beginning of SC looking to next yr?  They'd have to jump over very good OM, WTL, LIN clubs and a wild card in DM for a playoff spot. 

Mr Ricochet
44 minutes ago, i-pod said:

I think he is finally starting to come in to his own in Muskegon! I think he is off to school next fall but I could be wrong!

Pekar-Hak-Del G

Bongio-Kondelik (I'd slot the 7 footer on the 3rd line)-Petersen.......

I'd flank Bongio with Pettersen and Graham on line 2 with the 7 footer playing 3C with a DeMay type.  Speed skill first two lines with a north-south attack on line 3, maybe slip Schlagenhiemer in with them to add speed to stretch the defense.

Not a bad top 6.  Still intrigued by Will Schlagenhauf .   Kid has some real wheels, is tricky and can find seams but thought maybe he was floating a bit last game, something I had not seen the first 3 games he played.  May be the reason he has as a 98 spent 77 games in the NAHL despite his speed/skill.

Man losing two top 6 Dmen is tough to replace.  ........ Jacks are real fun to watch right now.  Climbed to 5th place on the strength of a 4 game win streak and that is with their #2 Karki in goal. 

DM47
1 hour ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Seems the trade was made more for the picks than anything else, no?  Is this the beginning of SC looking to next yr?  They'd have to jump over very good OM, WTL, LIN clubs and a wild card in DM for a playoff spot

Remember this year they are back to 6 teams in the playoffs. Only have to beat out 2 in the West so no one is out yet.  But may need to make an honest assessment of your team early. 

casemagnum
8 hours ago, DM47 said:

Remember this year they are back to 6 teams in the playoffs. Only have to beat out 2 in the West so no one is out yet.  But may need to make an honest assessment of your team early. 

I think it would be way too tough for SC to make it. They have the player talent but not the coaching talent. If SC would have a better coaching staff I think they would be in a better position with the players they have. The 2 assistants have little to no end experience and the head coach I will just leave at that. See other posts from beginning of season if you really want to know. And I am not the only one here in SC with that feeling from the start of his hiring announcement.

Mr Ricochet
19 hours ago, DM47 said:

I did forget.   Thanks for the correction.  Regardless, seems like a move with an eye to next yr by SC despite being 5 points out of a playoff spot.  Could be wrong though.......... I'm not a fan of 12 of 16 teams making the playoffs.  If the league had every team drawing 3k it would be different but for most teams in leagues other than the NHL the playoffs lose money.  I'd assume the teams in the league voted to expand the playoffs so I guess most are fine with it.

With 4 teams not making it the price really goes up for additions, which is a good thing IMO.  The importance on scouting, drafting, identifying Euro free agents, as DBQ has seemingly done adding Maccelli, and organIzational depth is at a premium.  More so teams will have to look within for help.   In theory with fewer teams selling a club that is should be able to really stockpile assets for the following yr. 

DM47
1 hour ago, Mr Ricochet said:

I did forget.   Thanks for the correction.  Regardless, seems like a move with an eye to next yr by SC despite being 5 points out of a playoff spot.  Could be wrong though.......... I'm not a fan of 12 of 16 teams making the playoffs.  If the league had every team drawing 3k it would be different but for most teams in leagues other than the NHL the playoffs lose money.  I'd assume the teams in the league voted to expand the playoffs so I guess most are fine with it.

With 4 teams not making it the price really goes up for additions, which is a good thing IMO.  The importance on scouting, drafting, identifying Euro free agents, as DBQ has seemingly done adding Maccelli, and organIzational depth is at a premium.  More so teams will have to look within for help.   In theory with fewer teams selling a club that is should be able to really stockpile assets for the following yr. 

I agree with you. I don't think more than half of the teams in any league should make the playoffs, even though we have had that in the NHL for years.  I try to tell myself it is for the players to get the playoff experience but I think the fight for a playoff spot is probably better for them.

BackCheck

Eriks Zohovs was dropped by the Phantoms after coming off the IR. He'll likely be joining the UMass Lowell River Hawks.

Edit: Correction, looks like he joined the KHL playing in China for the Red Stars.

Edited by BackCheck

Mr Ricochet

Looks like Finland is beginning a U-18 5 Nations tournament today.  The Saints have acquired FIN forward Matias Maccelli as Herby has posted.  Nice little scouting report on him and it mentions he will join the Saints after the tournament.

Finnish Junior Hockey

Mr Ricochet

SF's Berdin is at the WJC.  Assuming that's the reason Sibell was added.

herbst20

Don't know if it is a trade or an add/drop, but Nick Cardelli is showing on Cedar Rapids roster on ushl.com . He started the year with Fargo. '97 forward 

Mr Ricochet

Force Site  FORCE TRADE CARDELLI; ADD BELL

The Fargo Force have traded forward Nick Cardelli to the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders in exchange for a conditional pick in the 2019 USHL Phase II Draft. The trade opens up a roster spot that will be filled by defenseman Evan Bell, who will rejoin the Force after spending the fall semester with Merrimack College in the NCAA.

Bell played in four games for Merrimack this fall, tallying two assists and three shots on goal. Prior to moving to college hockey, Bell played two seasons with Fargo, scoring 20 points (4-16-20) in 117 games from 2015-2017.

Mr Ricochet

There you go, Chip.  A  conditional pick (Carlson treats picks like gold) and roster space for an NCAA Dman with 117 previous games with the Force.  Nice roster management? 

Chipper Fan

Fargo's already stout D gets better with Bell and Mann offers great support behind them. Sure hope another scoring forward comes to Fargo at some point, though. 

herbst20

Rumors swirling that Chicago will lose Brett Budgell to Charlottetown of the QMJHL

MadhouseOnHickman
1 hour ago, herbst20 said:

Rumors swirling that Chicago will lose Brett Budgell to Charlottetown of the QMJHL

I see this via twitter

Mr Ricochet
39 minutes ago, herbst20 said:

This was brought to my attention a week ago and I'll share what my response was.  Simply said a bad move by Budgell.

Kid is 16 yrs old, 16.  A nice prospect the Steel value using a 2017 2nd rd Phase I on.  At the time I heard of this the Steel had played 22 games and the SIXTEEN yr old on a the 6th best win percentage team in the league was given 14 games.  It is my opinion the 16 yr old was given 14 games of developmental minutes not earned minutes.  He is no Mastrosimone (a 16 yr old tender) at this point so if he thinks he should be given more games and minutes on a cup contender he's wrong, in fact he's been given more minutes than deserved and he runs the risk of going to the Q and getting the minutes he deserves and will play less than he has with the Steel.

No doubt a nice prospect.  If the kid went along with the program, took the more minutes than he deserves with the Steel this yr he'd be a regular on what has become a very solid franchise that will most likely be competitive next yr. Good luck to the kid but little doubt in my mind a bad move for him besides throwing away an NCAA education cuz he thinks as a 16 yr old he deserves more minutes.

I have no inside scoop, never do, but if it's usage that is the reason he's leaving it's a bad move for him.

Mr Ricochet
On 12/29/2017 at 2:17 PM, Chipper Fan said:

Fargo's already stout D gets better with Bell and Mann offers great support behind them. Sure hope another scoring forward comes to Fargo at some point, though. 

Brad Anderson spoke about this during the broadcast of the game vs Omaha.... Mentioned Eades had made some moves the past week or two and will probably add more to build a veteran team for the playoffs.  ........ Don't forget Eades has won a cup in this league and knows what it takes.

iowaninja

All these players now have “family advisors” for better or worse, I’m sure some are fantastic and other fill your head with how great you are and you should be getting more minutes narrative 

Mr Ricochet
12 minutes ago, iowaninja said:

All these players now have “family advisors” for better or worse, I’m sure some are fantastic and other fill your head with how great you are and you should be getting more minutes narrative 

Who knows but yes kids get all kinds of advice from everywhere........ Who knows what goes thru the mind of a 16-17 yr old but in Budgell's case he's a Canadian kid far from home in a different country for the first time as a 16 yr old.  Could be as simple as being homesick.  Whether he's a Steel or not hate to see a kid throw away the tried and true NCAA path. 

Chipper Fan
37 minutes ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Brad Anderson spoke about this during the broadcast of the game vs Omaha.... Mentioned Eades had made some moves the past week or two and will probably add more to build a veteran team for the playoffs.  ........ Don't forget Eades has won a cup in this league and knows what it takes.

Eades knows he has a good team in front of him. Three straight OT losses weren't ideal this weekend but they were missing one top winger for the weekend and a second top winger yesterday. When J S-S and Loughran come back-- as well as Savage being more consistently in the lineup and not with the NTDPers-- the forward group will look strong. I still would like Eades to add another good scorer such as O'Reilly (Madison), Valach (Roughriders), or Lacka (Aces). With their prior trades, Fargo has draft collateral to make a deal.