CottonEyeJoe42

Rosters

Mr Ricochet
9 hours ago, BackCheck said:

I think it was the from behind part that got him in trouble. Espo's a pest and has a reputation that proceeds him. I think if he does it face to face it's a penalty, maybe 4, and probably no suspension (minus the helmet removal) or 1 game. 

The real part that bothered me was the SF play by play guy, he seemed to love it and was talking up how Esposito was trying to buy the call.

I had to rewind it 2-3 times before I saw the whack to the face.  I really don't think PBP man Olander saw the infraction, but yea he thought Esposito was trying to sell the call.  ........... IMO the league has to suspend Berdin.  You just can't have flagrant hits to the head with sticks no matter from where the player is standing.

utgotye
6 hours ago, CottonEyeJoe42 said:

They did - 4 games total, with nothing for the man that made it all happen

Why would they?  Talking trash when no officials are around isn't forbidden.  The bumps and contact with the goaltenders were apparently not seen by the refs or reviewed and thus did not warrant any action.  Duly noted.  Hopefully this will now apply to every team in the league.

utgotye
2 hours ago, iowaninja said:

What was done to warrant a suspension by the Youngstown player?  

Nothing.

turk181

Look for @MerrimackMIH recruit Jonathan Young to make his USHL debut tomorrow or Friday for @YtownPhantoms. He's been added to the roster likely due to Curtis Hall being away at World Jr. A Challenge.

BackCheck
18 minutes ago, turk181 said:

Look for @MerrimackMIH recruit Jonathan Young to make his USHL debut tomorrow or Friday for @YtownPhantoms. He's been added to the roster likely due to Curtis Hall being away at World Jr. A Challenge.

He was added to the roster last weekend, I thought he might play but I guess they didn't want to push things playing a really good Stampede squad on the road. I think it's just to get him a few games to get his feet wet. We have healthy scratches, one player out of the lineup for a tournament isn't that big a deal. He looked decent at the tryout camp and put up good numbers at the USA Select 17 camp, so whatever the logic I'm looking forward to seeing him play this weekend.

Mr Ricochet
8 hours ago, iowaninja said:

What was done to warrant a suspension by the Youngstown player?  

Esposito was buzzin, bumping, chirping and Berdin lost his cool.  That simple.  Got under his skin 3-4-5-6 times in a few minute stretch, bumped him behind the net and there is no doubt Berdin hit Espo in the face with his stick returning to his crease from that bump.

I am a fan of Esposito when he ain't hellicoptering his stick (you'd think you were watching Chris Chelios), and he does that many, many, many, many, many games.  IMO the kid could be tossed in a lot of games but not this one. .......... Kid is skilled and will man up.  After YT concussed 9 Jacks in the front end of a home and home at YT, Espo was one of the culprits that even the Jacks said was a clean hit, the back half was at Muskegon.  Man, every player took their shots at Espo.  20 foot runs, open ice hits, into the boards, sticked him, slewed him and Espo took em all like a man and IIRC never retaliated.  Del Gaizo had him in his cross hairs all night and that kid can lay the lumber and did. 

I have a lot of respect for that kid and his game if he ain't using his stick like Chelios.  Kid reminds me of Ryan Kesler in many ways.  Would not be at all surprised to see him in an NHL game 5-6 yrs from now. 

iowaninja

Sounds like one of those players you love to have but hate to play against 

CottonEyeJoe42

Not saying Espo should have been suspended - he played the role of peat perfectly, however, he certainly could have been boxed up for the “bump” on Berdin that preceded the hit.

was super shocked not to have a second ref Saturday night after the 60 mins we saw Friday.

Mr Ricochet
2 hours ago, CottonEyeJoe42 said:

Not saying Espo should have been suspended - he played the role of peat perfectly, however, he certainly could have been boxed up for the “bump” on Berdin that preceded the hit.

was super shocked not to have a second ref Saturday night after the 60 mins we saw Friday.

I understand, Joe.  I watched the Steel go 5 games vs Esposito and the Phantoms in last yrs playoffs, and that was with Kulbakov in goal.   YT always brings a heavy game but have plenty of skill.  They always put together a group that is tough to play against and IMO in that regard they rank with TC and Lincoln this yr.

As far as the 2 ref system I think that is determined before the season starts.  It's not something they decide as the season goes on.  Last I knew each team was guaranteed 1 game with 2 refs. 

Mr Ricochet

8 hours ago

MadhouseOnHickman

DROP: @bucshockey drop F Marcus Dickerson

casemagnum

Well SC can REALLY use Knoepke!!!! It should help their d that is struggling badly. Hopefully Dawson gets back soon after the Christmas break from his injury. This is where SC is lacking the most currently.

At least SC is not the last team in the league now and is closer to being out of the cellar in the West.

herbst20
57 minutes ago, Maiden said:

Wait until the bomb drops when word goes public who is replacing him. One USHL team is going to be blindsided.

I can only assume it is Clayton Phillips with Muskegon.  He is their only Dman commit on a USHL team

Mr Ricochet
17 minutes ago, herbst20 said:

I can only assume it is Clayton Phillips with Muskegon.  He is their only Dman commit on a USHL team

And the team most well equipped to lose a top 2 Dman.     Wonder if the trade with Fargo was conditional?   Bradford will say.

Chipper Fan
3 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

And the team most well equipped to lose a top 2 Dman.     Wonder if the trade with Fargo was conditional?   Bradford will say.

The conditional element has to be the player-to-be-named. Fargo's press release didn't mention anything (aside from the conditional ninth rounder for Sheriff) about any conditions on the deal. http://www.fargoforce.com/news_article/show/848143

Am I missing something here? 

Mr Ricochet
23 hours ago, Chipper Fan said:

The conditional element has to be the player-to-be-named. Fargo's press release didn't mention anything (aside from the conditional ninth rounder for Sheriff) about any conditions on the deal. http://www.fargoforce.com/news_article/show/848143

Am I missing something here? 

No, as written I don't think you missed anything Chip.  I just wondered, and still do, if the Jacks had something along the lines that if Phillips doesn't play x amount of games, besides injury, the Jacks get x.  ...... The way I read it is the opposite.  That if Phillips hits certain benchmarks as a Jack the Force would get "potential future considerations". 

The Force receive a compensation package that includes a “player to be named later” and the Lumberjacks’ 2nd round picks in both Phase I (Futures) and Phase II (Entry) of the 2018 USHL Draft, as well as potential “future considerations”.

Chipper Fan

This is a fascinating situation for sure. I don't begrudge Phillips for anything. That said, I obviously like how this trade is turning out for Fargo.