11 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:19 AM

HockeyBuzz/Mike Augello   Link

“I honestly think if this kid can get with the right organization, you're going to have a hockey player,” Sioux City assistant GM and director of scouting Jamie Huffman said to the Athletic earlier this month. “His skills are impressive. He was the most talented player on our team.”

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#2 Glenn Gumbley

Checking Forward

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:56 PM

HockeyBuzz/Mike Augello   Link

“I honestly think if this kid can get with the right organization, you're going to have a hockey player,” Sioux City assistant GM and director of scouting Jamie Huffman said to the Athletic earlier this month. “His skills are impressive. He was the most talented player on our team.”

The question is how did SC manage to get an excellent first round import draft pick OA from the O, and can the new group maintain those contacts, and will they get his brother?

Edited by Glenn Gumbley, 22 July 2017 - 02:06 PM.

#3 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:40 PM

Funky, funky, funky path Pospisil took.   I've seen him disinterested but when engaged he has the size and skill to simply dominate.  If it's structure he needs to hit his ceiling I think he landed in the right organIzation.  I think this kid has the size/skill to play in the bigs. 

You make a solid point about SC's connections to get him.  Hopefully that pipeline is alive and well. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#4 Glenn Gumbley

Checking Forward

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:22 AM

Funky, funky, funky path Pospisil took.   I've seen him disinterested but when engaged he has the size and skill to simply dominate.  If it's structure he needs to hit his ceiling I think he landed in the right organIzation.  I think this kid has the size/skill to play in the bigs. 

You make a solid point about SC's connections to get him.  Hopefully that pipeline is alive and well. 

Actually I think if you were to look back you would find a  number CHL players have ended up in the USHL. As far as Pospisil is concerned it was a Euro limit issue 2 per team, the same for Rydstrom in Omaha. USHL teams that go that route gotta keep an eye on CHL movement and have good relationships with player agents.  

#5 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:55 AM

Actually I think if you were to look back you would find a  number CHL players have ended up in the USHL. As far as Pospisil is concerned it was a Euro limit issue 2 per team, the same for Rydstrom in Omaha. USHL teams that go that route gotta keep an eye on CHL movement and have good relationships with player agents.  

Sure, plenty of CHL kids end up in the USHL but not many who put up nearly a point per game in the CHL before doing so.  He had a good yr in the Q before he came to SC. ........

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#6 Glenn Gumbley

Checking Forward

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

Sure, plenty of CHL kids end up in the USHL but not many who put up nearly a point per game in the CHL before doing so.  He had a good yr in the Q before he came to SC. ........

40 points is good, but what he did away from the puck IMO was also quite helpful to SC. Not a softie either and willing to go anyone which added a dimension Varady likes. Will SC get the brother a Saint Lawrence commit who may end up being better or will the coaching change hurt, who knows but Strand has his work cut out for him.

#7 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

Those 40 points were in 52 games and he potted 25 goals.  That's good.   But as you mention, and I didn't know but it makes sense, that it was an an import numbers game where there wasn't a spot for Pospisil with Armada.  ..... And yes it behooves every USHL club to know the rosters of CHL teams as well as their own.  That's where a USHL team can get an edge but it costs money to employ enough people, those with connections especially so, to monitor such things. 

Kid reminds me of Malkin in that he has the size to control the puck and the skills to finish.  He will coast though in the other two zones which is why I posted landing in the TOR organIzation is a great spot for him to develop a complete game.  You have no chance to play for a Babcock team without a complete game. 

Now that you mention it I see SC drafted his brother, Martin, in the 1st round this year.  Unlike his brother though he's committed to an NCAA school and seemingly has chosen the NCAA path.  The coaching change at SC can't help but doesn't mean it hurts either.  Hopefully he sticks with the NCAA path and if he doesn't like it at SC can still jump to the CHL if he chooses.   Add if he gets drafted by the NHL next yr out of the USHL he's exempt from the CHL-NHL Indentured Servitude Clause.  Really makes sense for him to play USHL hockey next yr, get drafted and have the option to play AHL as a 19yr old if he chooses.

You have a thought on Martin's game?  Does he play the same style as his brother?  Is he a centerman or wing? 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#8 Ryan

Cup Winning Goalie

• Global Mod
  • 4,381 posts
  • Interests:Musketeers, Avalanche, and USHL hockey.

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:06 PM

Chiming in a little late, but Pospisil was always someone you noticed on the ice. I like the Malkin comparison, because it seemed like a lot of times he would stick handle around a lot of players, trying to make a play.

Don't know how SC ended up with him, but glad they did. He can skate, stick handle, and hit. IIRC, he was out for a bit with an injury, and it was noticeable during games. His compete level is very high, and I really liked that.

My only gripe, the NHL had an article about the Leads signing 2 players, and used a picture of Pospisil from when he was in the Q. Nothing major, but a picture from the team he most recently played for would have been nice.

#9 Glenn Gumbley

Checking Forward

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:37 PM

Those 40 points were in 52 games and he potted 25 goals.  That's good.   But as you mention, and I didn't know but it makes sense, that it was an an import numbers game where there wasn't a spot for Pospisil with Armada.  ..... And yes it behooves every USHL club to know the rosters of CHL teams as well as their own.  That's where a USHL team can get an edge but it costs money to employ enough people, those with connections especially so, to monitor such things. 

Kid reminds me of Malkin in that he has the size to control the puck and the skills to finish.  He will coast though in the other two zones which is why I posted landing in the TOR organIzation is a great spot for him to develop a complete game.  You have no chance to play for a Babcock team without a complete game. 

Now that you mention it I see SC drafted his brother, Martin, in the 1st round this year.  Unlike his brother though he's committed to an NCAA school and seemingly has chosen the NCAA path.  The coaching change at SC can't help but doesn't mean it hurts either.  Hopefully he sticks with the NCAA path and if he doesn't like it at SC can still jump to the CHL if he chooses.   Add if he gets drafted by the NHL next yr out of the USHL he's exempt from the CHL-NHL Indentured Servitude Clause.  Really makes sense for him to play USHL hockey next yr, get drafted and have the option to play AHL as a 19yr old if he chooses.

You have a thought on Martin's game?  Does he play the same style as his brother?  Is he a centerman or wing? 

I haven't seen him play, just heard he has the same temperament as his brother, not the touch. I believe he plays his off wing which is typical for Euros. 

No such thing as " Indentured Servitude" !  

Players don't have to sign anything they don't want to.

#10 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:28 AM

Chiming in a little late, but Pospisil was always someone you noticed on the ice. I like the Malkin comparison, because it seemed like a lot of times he would stick handle around a lot of players, trying to make a play.

Don't know how SC ended up with him, but glad they did. He can skate, stick handle, and hit. IIRC, he was out for a bit with an injury, and it was noticeable during games. His compete level is very high, and I really liked that.

My only gripe, the NHL had an article about the Leads signing 2 players, and used a picture of Pospisil from when he was in the Q. Nothing major, but a picture from the team he most recently played for would have been nice.

You'll notice those little slights of the USHL from plenty of Canadian based media and even NHL types.  They are wedded in a lot of ways to the CHL, their readers being one.  Could simply be they didn't have a pic on hand of Pospisil but I do agree there are slights of the lil ole USHL from the behemoths up north.

IMO when engaged Malkin is the most dangerous offensive player on earth, maybe McDavid has caught him.  He is just so much bigger/stronger than pure skill guys but he equals their skill and has the feet to get a step.  Once he gets a step and dips his shoulder you simply can't take the puck from him and he has the hands/skill/IQ/vision to finish or feed.  Pospisil could do that at the USHL level.  He was Malkin at the USHL level.  .......Of course I'm not saying he'll be Malkin if he does get to the bigs but IMO their skills/game are very similar. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#11 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,289 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:37 AM

I haven't seen him play, just heard he has the same temperament as his brother, not the touch. I believe he plays his off wing which is typical for Euros. 

Respectfully, that's your selling point for the need of a union or a bargaining committee?  Sure a kid can sign with the USHL or Junior A but the NCAA isn't the best path for every kid.  As a labor guy till death I realize the company has to stay solvent/profitable while giving labor a fair shake but I can't sell that by saying just don't work for the only factory in town. 

I realize this comparison is apples to oranges in that it stayed off death but tell an English or Irish immigrant starving to death in the 19th century that they didn't have to sign away 7-10 yrs of servitude/labor for a ride on a ship to the USA. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#12 Glenn Gumbley

Checking Forward

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:07 AM

Respectfully, that's your selling point for the need of a union or a bargaining committee?  Sure a kid can sign with the USHL or Junior A but the NCAA isn't the best path for every kid.  As a labor guy till death I realize the company has to stay solvent/profitable while giving labor a fair shake but I can't sell that by saying just don't work for the only factory in town. 

I realize this comparison is apples to oranges in that it stayed off death but tell an English or Irish immigrant starving to death in the 19th century that they didn't have to sign away 7-10 yrs of servitude/labor for a ride on a ship to the USA. 

Nah...I'm not much of a salesman. I believe that players and parents have to be real careful about the decisions they make. Some players just aren't cut out for the NCAA route, and visa versa. If you have ever dealt with CHL contracts you would know they are pretty one sided.

ARTICLE 5 -  THE CLUB

5.1     The Club covenants and agrees:

(a) to provide the Player in each Hockey Season with professional coaching and training in the fundamentals of hockey together with supervised training periods and other assistance the Club deems necessary, acting reasonably, to enable the Player to develop his hockey playing skills and abilities;to arrange for and reimburse or cause to be paid the expenses incurred in respect of adequate billet room and board accommodation during the Hockey Season, in the city where the Club is located;

© to assist with Player registration with Hockey Canada and, if applicable, USA Hockey or otherwise as required by the WHL from time to time;

(d) to provide the Player during the Hockey Season with full WHL officially licensed hockey-playing equipment, including sticks, skates, and other hockey equipment reasonably necessary for playing the game of hockey and for the safety of the Player;

(e) to provide the Player with travel, accommodation and meals when 5.3 The Club and Player hereby acknowledge and agree that this Agreement does not create, nor is it intended to create, any relationship other than that of an amateur athlete participating in an exclusive relationship with the Club for the purposes of playing hockey and developing as a hockey player, and for such purposes, the parties specifically agree that this Agreement does not create an employer-employee relationship such that the Player's amateur athlete status would thereby be placed in jeopardy.

5.4 The Player and the Player's parents or guardians, as the case may be, hereby acknowledge that he or they have had an opportunity to obtain independent legal advice respecting this Agreement and have done so to the extent they feel is necessary. Traveling with the Club for away games during the Hockey Season;

(f) to provide the Player with regular medical attention, as required, for the diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of injuries which the Player may sustain during the Hockey Season;

(g)  to provide the Player with out of country medical coverage;

(h) to provide the Player with the medical and dental insurance coverage applicable to all amateur athlete hockey players registered with Hockey Canada, through Hockey Canada's national insurance program, for hockey related injuries;

(i) to provide the Player, upon request, with a copy of the Hockey Canada national insurance manual outlining coverage applicable to the Player;

U) to retain, as required by paragraph 2.5, qualified tutors and educational advisors, as deemed reasonably necessary by the Player and the Club, to assist the Player in his academic studies;

(k) to cause the Club's representatives to conduct themselves, at all times, both on and off the ice, in a manner consistent with good standards of honesty, decency, morality and fair play; and

(I) to make available to all professional hockey organizations and others, during and at the completion of the Player's eligibility to play in the WHL, all relevant data, information and statistics reasonably required to enable the Player to pursue or initiate a professional or other hockey career.

5.2 The Club shall not provide nor does it undertake to provide the Player with any disability insurance coverage. Should the Player desire such coverage, any disability insurance coverage of or for the Player shall be obtained by the Player and shall be the sole and exclusive responsibility and obligation of the Player, at the Player's own cost and expense.

5.3 The Club and Player hereby acknowledge and agree that this Agreement does not create, nor is it intended to create, any relationship other than that of an amateur athlete participating in an exclusive relationship with the Club for the purposes of playing hockey and developing as a hockey player, and for such purposes, the parties specifically agree that this Agreement does not create an employer-employee relationship such that the Player's amateur athlete status would thereby be placed in jeopardy.

5.4 The Player and the Player's parents or guardians, as the case may be, hereby acknowledge that he or they have had an opportunity to obtain independent legal advice respecting this Agreement and have done so to the extent they feel is necessary.

Edited by Glenn Gumbley, 24 July 2017 - 10:16 AM.