Sign in to follow this  
Mr Ricochet

Rating The Junior Hockey Leagues – Tier II United States And Canada 2017 Edition

Mr Ricochet

The NAHL continues to separate itself from all other Tier II leagues when it comes to marketing players to higher levels of hockey. While it is not the USHL, many teams are now actively doing more work to move players on to the USHL. An official development agreement being worked upon between the NAHL and USHL has continued to improve the NAHL product.

Can you go into more detail on this, ML?

minor life

With the USPHL fall out under USA Hockey, the two leagues need to align. This is the "ladder of development" implementation that everyone has been preaching. Until the NAHL received the Tier II challenge from the USPHL, they had no need to officially align themselves with the USHL. Now, when looking at the turf war out east, this is almost essential to both leagues. If not essential, it is certainly smart.

The agreement, should if rumor is true, create the ability for player movement between the two leagues without extreme compensation provisions. Without those provisions in place in the past, some NAHL players never new a USHL team was looking at them. Conversely some USHL players were gently encouraged to go to the BCHL.

This agreement should look a lot like an NHL - AHL agreement in principal. Smart business by both leagues, and makes both more attractive to many players, especially import players. Its been a long time coming.

Keep in mind Canadian Junior A, or Tier II is not allowed any European players. This provision could be a boon for Europeans in the United States. Then again, unlimited imports in the NCDC coould prove to be a Bull market for Europeans and Canadian players alike.

The "ladder of development" is changing. Its changing in Canada as well. Whats right or wrong is for others to decide, but it certainly is interesting to watch.

Mr Ricochet

Didn't realize there were even rumors of an official agreement between the NAHL and USHL. ...... Is the NAHL satisfied with Tier II status or are they looking for a higher Tier I status in the future? But you do lay out a reasonable scenario of the pluses to such an affiliation.

USHL has encouraged affiliated players to go to the BCHL instead of the NAHL?

And this will be year 1 of the NCDC so that of course is something to watch in the hockey ladder equation.

Maiden

Didn't realize there were even rumors of an official agreement between the NAHL and USHL. ...... Is the NAHL satisfied with Tier II status or are they looking for a higher Tier I status in the future? But you do lay out a reasonable scenario of the pluses to such an affiliation.

And this will be year 1 of the NCDC so that of course is something to watch in the hockey ladder equation.

I have not found that the case over the years. Majority of the kids I know have had there USHL team contact a NAHL team for a roster spot.

minor life

I didnt say every time players are refered to the BCHL. I didnt say the "league" encouraged players to go to the BCHL. I said "some" players. Some were, and it was becaus the coaches who did it, didnt necessarily trust the NAHL team to return the player if that player were wanted back.

Your experience Maiden may be different than mine, as other peoples experiences may or may not be different. You said the "majority" of kids, that certainly doesn't mean every kid you know had a USHL coach call an NAHL coach to get them a spot. Some USHL coaches still have the opinion that the BCHL is better than the NAHL. I said some not all. The NAHL as a league was aware of this opinion existing in some organizations.

Many reasons are behind an official agreement how ever it ends up being framed.

Think about this though....

If you are an NAHL owner, this agreement would in effect be an agreement to be subservient to the USHL. It would then change USA Hockey's self stated description of the "Tier" system. Under USA Hockey the "Tiers" are NOT differences in the quality or level of talent in a league. Officially the "Tiers" are only differences in how the finances of each team are managed or how each team is funded and what each team provides.

Under this scenario, it changes things to a level of play measurement as well as an amenity, and financial measurement.

Imagine this though, and I am not saying this will happen, I am not saying any discussions I am aware of have taken place. I say "imagine". What if the NCDC is a success? What would have happened if they remained under USA Hockey, and the NAHL had to compete with that Tier II successful competitor? Who would the USHL aligned themselves with then? Would the NAHL not had as many call ups or development promotions as they have had recently? Would the value of NAHL franchises remain the same?

Lots of business behind these "hockey" decisions.

Glenn Gumbley

I have not found that the case over the years. Majority of the kids I know have had there USHL team contact a NAHL team for a roster spot.

Ditto!

How can you use an AP who is a member of a completely different IIHF?

minor life

Who said anything about AP? Seriously?

Glenn Gumbley

What are "affiliated players"?

Edited by Glenn Gumbley

Mr Ricochet

I'm the one who referred to affiliated players. That was just an assumption on my part. Good thread, hopefully it's not mucked up.

Glenn Gumbley

I'm the one who referred to affiliated players. That was just an assumption on my part. Good thread, hopefully it's not mucked up.

"Your experience Maiden may be different than mine, as other peoples experiences may or may not be different. You said the "majority" of kids, that certainly doesn't mean every kid you know had a USHL coach call an NAHL coach to get them a spot. Some USHL coaches still have the opinion that the BCHL is better than the NAHL. I said some not all. The NAHL as a league was aware of this opinion existing in some organizations."

USHL coaches don't want to lose players to the BCHL, and would much prefer they played in the States for obvious reason so darn rights they would call an NAHL coach, but a good adviser would be calling coaches in the BCHL, AJHL, OJHL...etc.

Edited by Glenn Gumbley

Glenn Gumbley

With the USPHL fall out under USA Hockey, the two leagues need to align. This is the "ladder of development" implementation that everyone has been preaching. Until the NAHL received the Tier II challenge from the USPHL, they had no need to officially align themselves with the USHL. Now, when looking at the turf war out east, this is almost essential to both leagues. If not essential, it is certainly smart.

The agreement, should if rumor is true, create the ability for player movement between the two leagues without extreme compensation provisions. Without those provisions in place in the past, some NAHL players never new a USHL team was looking at them. Conversely some USHL players were gently encouraged to go to the BCHL.

This agreement should look a lot like an NHL - AHL agreement in principal. Smart business by both leagues, and makes both more attractive to many players, especially import players. Its been a long time coming.

Keep in mind Canadian Junior A, or Tier II is not allowed any European players. This provision could be a boon for Europeans in the United States. Then again, unlimited imports in the NCDC coould prove to be a Bull market for Europeans and Canadian players alike.

The "ladder of development" is changing. Its changing in Canada as well. Whats right or wrong is for others to decide, but it certainly is interesting to watch.

You must know different USHL GMs, Coaches, then I do. When I threw this at them they basically said, "Say what!" but not in those terms.

Maiden

"Your experience Maiden may be different than mine, as other peoples experiences may or may not be different. You said the "majority" of kids, that certainly doesn't mean every kid you know had a USHL coach call an NAHL coach to get them a spot. Some USHL coaches still have the opinion that the BCHL is better than the NAHL. I said some not all. The NAHL as a league was aware of this opinion existing in some organizations."

USHL coaches don't want to lose players to the BCHL, and would much prefer they played in the States for obvious reason so darn rights they would call an NAHL coach, but a good adviser would be calling coaches in the BCHL, AJHL, OJHL...etc.

Don't take my word for it; go thru the transaction pages of past years. And I enjoy the BCHL as a league for the record.

Edited by Maiden

Glenn Gumbley

Don't take my word for it; go thru the transaction pages of past years. And I enjoy the BCHL as a league for the record.

As you said; "I have not found that the case over the years. Majority of the kids I know have had there USHL team contact a NAHL team for a roster spot." I know you are right so I for one take your word for it. As far as the BCHL is concerned quite a few USHL players end up there but it is usually because their Adviser helped to find them a spot not a USHL coach... or the BCHL coach gets word and goes after the kid.

Edited by Glenn Gumbley

Mr Ricochet

Why are you posting others posts/words under your name, Glenn?

Glenn Gumbley

Why are you posting under the name Mr Ricochet?

Mr Ricochet

Posts #11 are your words, Glenn?

Glenn Gumbley

Posts #11 are your words, Glenn?

If you are referring to the above, what is your point?

Mr Ricochet

You're wasting my time and cluttering this site, Glenn. Are these your words from post #11, Glenn?

Glenn Gumbley

You're wasting my time and cluttering this site, Glenn. Are these your words from post #11, Glenn?

Not my words. Your BFF ML's words. Sorry for wasting your time and cluttering up the sight does that mean you don't want me to spend the time rating the leagues?

kbrian

Not my words. Your BFF ML's words. Sorry for wasting your time and cluttering up the sight does that mean you don't want me to spend the time rating the leagues?

This doesn't make sense to me either!

http://finishyourcheck.com/topic/86653-ending-the-try-out-camp-mess-in-the-united-states/

Mr Ricochet

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

Our guy Minorlife's site (The Junior Hockey News) has what I think is a helpful article concerning tryout camps here in the US. Link

Should a player have to give up going to a USHL camp to attend an NAHL camp? Should a player have to give up an NAHL camp for a Tier III camp? The answer is easily “NO”!

Why are Tier III teams pressuring players to sign contracts in April and May when the USHL and NAHL drafts haven’t even been completed?

We sure don’t want to take the lead from Canada though do we? I mean they have a pretty simple system that allows all players to filter into their own natural landing spot. Its called using your brain.

Major Junior leagues have their camps, then Junior A or Tier II, then Junior B and so on down the line. Pretty damn simple hey kids? Let the big boys go first, then everyone gets in line.

Crush Em Steel

Blackhawks Rock

RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

minor life

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

Draft means very little. I watch drafted players in USHL and NAHL get cut every year. NAHL is not the only Tier II league in North America. Canada still out commits the US 3 to 1

Many teams in Canada do a much better job at moving kids to NCAA than many of the NAHL teams. The CCHL and OJHL producing a ton of players.

There is a difference between someone who plays hockey, and a Hockey Player. which one are you?

minor life

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

I understand how the system works. Everyone talks about the NAHL, when in my opinion it is the fourth best Tier II league in North America. I will take Canadian Junior A over the NAHL in most instances.

There is a difference between someone who plays hockey, and a Hockey Player. which one are you?

CalmbeforetheStorm

I guess if you use the same template every year you can correct the spelling errors. :)

https://thejuniorhockeynews.com/rating-the-junior-hockey-leagues-2016-edition-canada-junior-b/

Rating The Junior Hockey Leagues 2016 Edition – Canada Junior B
Posted by Admin On July 21, 2016 0 Comment

I want to remind all readers that this series of articles rating the junior hockey leagues in North America is based upon independent opinions and analysis of scouts throughout the United States and Canada.

This rating is based upon the 2015-2016 season and nothing more. A leagues history does not come into account in any way.

The criteria that was used in rating these eleven leagues, was how do teams within the leagues compare when developing players who move on to the NHL, NCAA, Canadian University, USHL, NAHL, Canada Junior A and Major Junior hockey programs. The size of the league as in number of teams was also taken into account for depth of player talent throughout the league.

Again this is not a historical account of each league but a rating based upon last season alone. We hope this series of articles is informative and promotes a healthy discussion. Due to the volume of Junior B leagues in Canada, comments are limited in this article, and we are only ranking the top ten.

1. Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League (GOJHL)

The GOJHL remained the top junior B development league in Canada for the third year in a row, and as usual it wasn’t even close. This league, or at least the majority of teams in the league are seen by scouts as being Junior A level without the Junior A label. Will the 2017 season bring the Junior A label?

2. Vancouver Island Junior Hockey League (VIJHL)

A top level league with a lot of very good young players last year. More work was done with player exposure and league marketing in 2015-2016 than has been done in the past. More player movement was talked about than in previous season showing a progressive move toward development.

3. Pacific Junior Hockey League (PJHL)

Pretty much the same as the “V” they did a good job at players move up last season. Marketing toward scouts was increased, and players received benefit of increased scouting. The league as a whole seemed to take a new outlook on development and focused less on just the wins and losses.

4. CCHL2

Ottawa hockey at the B level is continuing to change, and not all for the good. Scouts were looking for a rise in development as the league switched to the CCHL2 from the EOJHL. Though the level of play appeared to rise slightly, the amount of player movement did not equal the rise in talent level. Rumors abounded of players being held back that could have gone to other Junior A leagues.

5. Heritage Junior B Hockey League (HJHL)

Heritage hockey is good. They really try to move kids on to the AJ, and they continue to have success. More ground was lost last season in how well players were scouted and marketed.

6. Prairie Junior Hockey League (PJHL)

See comments above.

7. Kootenay International Junior Hockey League (KIJHL)

Jumping ten spots from last seasons rankings, the KIJHL really made a serious effort last year on behalf of the players. The league as a whole was offended by their ranking last year, and apparently wanted to do something to change it. Actually working for the players and trying to move them up all season did just that. Credit where credit is due.

8. Quebec Junior B Hockey

There are six junior B leagues in Quebec. A lot of teams, and a lot of skill. They work hard to develop players for the Q, and the Maritimes. A lot of teams and a lot of players to see, yet marketing of the league is virtually non existent.

9. New Brunswick Junior B Hockey League

Too bad a good league just doesn’t doo much to move players.

10. Calgary Junior Hockey League

A ton of talent in the league, but no player marketing plan.

Next week, in what will likely be a hotly debated piece we will rate the Tier III junior leagues in the United States.

Rating The Junior Hockey Leagues – Canadian Junior B 2017 Edition
Posted by Admin On July 19, 2017 0 Comment

I want to remind all readers that this series of articles rating the junior hockey leagues in North America is based upon independent opinions and analysis of scouts throughout the United States and Canada.

This rating is based upon the 2016-2017 season and nothing more. A leagues history does not come into account in any way.

The criteria that was used in rating these ten leagues, was how do teams within the leagues compare when developing players who move on to the NHL, NCAA, Canadian University, USHL, NAHL, Canada Junior A and Major Junior hockey programs. The size of the league as in number of teams was also taken into account for depth of player talent throughout the league.

Again this is not a historical account of each league but a rating based upon last season alone. We hope this series of articles is informative and promotes a healthy discussion. Due to the volume of Junior B leagues in Canada, comments are limited in this article, and we are only ranking the top ten.

1. Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League (GOJHL)
The GOJHL remained the top junior B development league in Canada for the fourth year in a row, and as usual it wasn’t even close. This league, or at least the majority of teams in the league are seen by scouts as being Junior A level without the Junior A label. While undergoing changes based upon Ontario Hockey Association mandate, questions of how long they will remain at the top are surfacing.

2. Vancouver Island Junior Hockey League (VIJHL)
A top level league with a lot of very good young players last year. More work was done with player exposure again this year. More player movement took place than in previous seasons showing a progressive move toward development.

3. Pacific Junior Hockey League (PJHL)
Pretty much the same as the “V” they improved at players moving up last season. Marketing toward scouts was increased, and players received benefit of increased scouting.

4. Heritage Junior B Hockey League (HJHL)
Heritage hockey is good, very under rated really. They try to move kids on to the AJ, and they continue to have success. The league looked like it made up some ground this season in regaining scouting interest as more were seen attending games early and late in the season.

5. CCHL2
The CCHL2 looks to be stuck in second gear and the clutch isn’t working. Though the level of play appeared to stay the same, the amount of player movement up did not rise to expected levels. Concerns have been raised that the league is focused too much upon ancillary income streams and not enough on player promotion.

6. Kootenay International Junior Hockey League (KIJHL)
Jumping another position from last seasons rankings, the KIJHL continues to make a serious effort on behalf of the players. Actually working for the players and trying to move them up is paying dividends. The question now is what else can they do to make it better?

7. Prairie Junior Hockey League (PJHL)
The dropped to 7 this year. Not a bad position, but nothing appears to be in the works to raise the profile of the league concerning scouts.

8. Quebec Junior B Hockey
There are six junior B leagues in Quebec. A lot of teams, and a lot of skill. Nothing is changing and no one seems to care.

9. New Brunswick Junior B Hockey League
Too bad a good league just doesn’t do much to move players. If there is a plan, no one seems to know what it is.

10. Calgary Junior Hockey League
A ton of talent in the league, but again no player marketing plan.

Next week, in what will likely be a hotly debated piece we will rate the Tier III junior leagues in the United States.

Mr Ricochet

http://finishyourcheck.com/topic/86653-ending-the-try-out-camp-mess-in-the-united-states/

Mr Ricochet

Our guy Minorlife's site (The Junior Hockey News) has what I think is a helpful article concerning tryout camps here in the US. Link

Should a player have to give up going to a USHL camp to attend an NAHL camp? Should a player have to give up an NAHL camp for a Tier III camp? The answer is easily “NO”!

Why are Tier III teams pressuring players to sign contracts in April and May when the USHL and NAHL drafts haven’t even been completed?

We sure don’t want to take the lead from Canada though do we? I mean they have a pretty simple system that allows all players to filter into their own natural landing spot. Its called using your brain.

Major Junior leagues have their camps, then Junior A or Tier II, then Junior B and so on down the line. Pretty damn simple hey kids? Let the big boys go first, then everyone gets in line.

Crush Em Steel

Blackhawks Rock

RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

minor life

Draft means very little. I watch drafted players in USHL and NAHL get cut every year. NAHL is not the only Tier II league in North America. Canada still out commits the US 3 to 1

Many teams in Canada do a much better job at moving kids to NCAA than many of the NAHL teams. The CCHL and OJHL producing a ton of players.

minor life

I understand how the system works. Everyone talks about the NAHL, when in my opinion it is the fourth best Tier II league in North America. I will take Canadian Junior A over the NAHL in most instances.

What is this? I see you've figured out how to go 3-4-8 yrs back but is there a point? If so clean it up so it can be deciphered.

kbrian

Mr Ricochet

Crush Em Steel

Blackhawks Rock

minor life

minor life

What is this? I see you've figured out how to go 3-4-8 yrs back but is there a point? If so clean it up so it can be deciphered.

I guess I wasn't very clear. I was just trying to point out that apparently you do have some kind of relationship with ML as GG said you were BFF. Secondly ML's statements seem to be different from an earlier opinion he expressed or am I missing something?

minor life

Posted Yesterday, 12:16 PM

I didnt say every time players are refered to the BCHL. I didnt say the "league" encouraged players to go to the BCHL. I said "some" players. Some were, and it was becaus the coaches who did it, didnt necessarily trust the NAHL team to return the player if that player were wanted back.

Your experience Maiden may be different than mine, as other peoples experiences may or may not be different. You said the "majority" of kids, that certainly doesn't mean every kid you know had a USHL coach call an NAHL coach to get them a spot. Some USHL coaches still have the opinion that the BCHL is better than the NAHL. I said some not all. The NAHL as a league was aware of this opinion existing in some organizations.

Many reasons are behind an official agreement how ever it ends up being framed.

Think about this though....

If you are an NAHL owner, this agreement would in effect be an agreement to be subservient to the USHL. It would then change USA Hockey's self stated description of the "Tier" system. Under USA Hockey the "Tiers" are NOT differences in the quality or level of talent in a league. Officially the "Tiers" are only differences in how the finances of each team are managed or how each team is funded and what each team provides.

Under this scenario, it changes things to a level of play measurement as well as an amenity, and financial measurement.

Imagine this though, and I am not saying this will happen, I am not saying any discussions I am aware of have taken place. I say "imagine". What if the NCDC is a success? What would have happened if they remained under USA Hockey, and the NAHL had to compete with that Tier II successful competitor? Who would the USHL aligned themselves with then? Would the NAHL not had as many call ups or development promotions as they have had recently? Would the value of NAHL franchises remain the same?

Lots of business behind these "hockey" decisions.

I'm checking on this rumored agreement thing thus far no one seems to know about it but I haven't gotten all the emails back.

Mr Ricochet

Better, thank you. And if you are indeed hunting info of a rumored agreement between the USHL and NAHL that's helpful as well. Not hard to get on a board with nothing but to disagree while adding nothing. Those don't last long here as we'll soon see.

And as far as ML and my relationship that should be no concern of yours or anyone else, respectfully. I see you figured out how to go back 10 yrs back in posts, read and see what kind of relationship we have if it's a concern of yours. I do ML brings thoughts and will stand and support them. Do you have any?