- - - - -

Schedule

57 replies to this topic

#41 Sykotyk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

I didn't look too closely at the SC schedule, but what jumped out at me was a back to back in Fargo, followed by a Tuesday or Wednesday in Fargo, then Friday, Fargo in SC. 4 games in a row vs Fargo, if I remember right.

Didn't notice that immediately but if so, yuck!

It's January 19th, 20th, 25th, and 26th against Fargo. First 3 in Fargo. So, it was a Thursday game and not the Tuesday I was originally thinking.

That's still a crap situation to play the same team four times in a row.

I know in years past, Phantoms played NTDP 3 of 4 to close the season, and that was a bit much.

#42 herbst20

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:11 PM

Just having a chance to look at CRs schedule. 11 of the 1st 15 games are on the road...yikes

#43 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:12 PM

Just having a chance to look at CRs schedule. 11 of the 1st 15 games are on the road...yikes

Find a trip to The City of Big Shoulders. .............. Hopefully we can get a fan from every team point out some bs in their schedule then we know it's fair across the whole league.   

Back 5 yrs ago I was told there are some good battles when trying to hammer out a schedule.  I'd hate to be the guy to put it together in the end trying to juggle the needs of 17 teams and 400 kids. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#44 Sykotyk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:13 PM

Find a trip to The City of Big Shoulders. .............. Hopefully we can get a fan from every team point out some bs in their schedule then we know it's fair across the whole league.   

Back 5 yrs ago I was told there are some good battles when trying to hammer out a schedule.  I'd hate to be the guy to put it together in the end trying to juggle the needs of 17 teams and 400 kids. 

Computers make it a lot easier. But, sometimes things just don't work out.

For me, personally, I like the Friday/Saturday two game series at home or on the road. It's a 'hockey weekend' or it isn't. One game at home and one on the road is a pain. And I'm glad Youngstown has only 9 home games during HS Football season, which is a big issue with attendance as I'm sure other areas may have similar issues.

#45 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:35 PM

Home and homes are great but not reasonable for most of the league.  For a few where it's geographically reasonable, a few of the Iowa clubs, and is great for the fan.  But for most the two game at one arena is great IMO.  That second game can be a spirited battle. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#46 DM47

Cup Winning Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:07 PM

I didn't look too closely at the SC schedule, but what jumped out at me was a back to back in Fargo, followed by a Tuesday or Wednesday in Fargo, then Friday, Fargo in SC. 4 games in a row vs Fargo, if I remember right.

Didn't notice that immediately but if so, yuck!
It's January 19th, 20th, 25th, and 26th against Fargo. First 3 in Fargo. So, it was a Thursday game and not the Tuesday I was originally thinking.

That's still a crap situation to play the same team four times in a row.

I know in years past, Phantoms played NTDP 3 of 4 to close the season, and that was a bit much.

Seems Fargo has had these the last two years, a weekend in Fargo followed by a weekend in Lincoln and I think Tri City also.

#47 Sykotyk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:44 PM

Home and homes are great but not reasonable for most of the league.  For a few where it's geographically reasonable, a few of the Iowa clubs, and is great for the fan.  But for most the two game at one arena is great IMO.  That second game can be a spirited battle. 

That's what I've noticed, too. Plus, the Saturday game tends to draw the bigger crowd. When it's a one-game that weekend, there seems to be less people even on a Saturday.

For Youngstown, the home-and-home usually is only with the NTDP or sometimes Muskegon. For us, almost every series tends to be two at home or two on the road. Sometimes a 3-game road trip and we get the rare mid-week game such as the day before Thanksgiving, or a Monday or Tuesday afternoon contest for school kids.

#48 BackCheck

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:19 AM

That's what I've noticed, too. Plus, the Saturday game tends to draw the bigger crowd. When it's a one-game that weekend, there seems to be less people even on a Saturday.

For Youngstown, the home-and-home usually is only with the NTDP or sometimes Muskegon. For us, almost every series tends to be two at home or two on the road. Sometimes a 3-game road trip and we get the rare mid-week game such as the day before Thanksgiving, or a Monday or Tuesday afternoon contest for school kids.

There will be a few more weekday games this season since the new lease at the Covelli traded 6 weekend day for drop in the rent. http://wkbn.com/2017...year-extension/

#49 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:11 AM

There will be a few more weekday games this season since the new lease at the Covelli traded 6 weekend day for drop in the rent. http://wkbn.com/2017...year-extension/

Weekday games are obviously less attended but I'm sure the Phantoms ran the numbers and found this advantageous.   Did not know this though, thanks for the link/scoop, BC.  

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#50 Sykotyk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

I missed that when they announced the extension. I knew the USHL also was trying to shorten the schedule which would mean more 3-game weekends.

#51 Maiden

2nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

The league only took out 1 week of the regular season.

This season is starting 2 weeks later but only extended by 1 week in April. So for most teams its adding only 2 games somwhere along the way.

#52 Sykotyk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:30 PM

The league only took out 1 week of the regular season.

This season is starting 2 weeks later but only extended by 1 week in April. So for most teams its adding only 2 games somwhere along the way.

At least in Ohio, avoiding competition with high school football is a big issue. I don't go to the Friday night games then either. So, most of the games being after the Ohio season is done and that's no longer the major sports story in the valley each weekend is a good thing. Week day games may work, but it's not so much marketing them as it is just marketing the team and getting more fans to any of the games.

#53 MadhouseOnHickman

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:00 PM

Oh my goodness...

#54 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:43 PM

Oh my goodness...

There's a few of those going around, Hick.   Steel play 10 of the last 14 games on the road including 7 of the last 9 and 4 of last 5!!

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#55 MadhouseOnHickman

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:51 PM

Oh my goodness...

There's a few of those going around, Hick.   Steel play 10 of the last 14 games on the road including 7 of the last 9 and 4 of last 5!!

That preps them well for the playoffs  :)

#56 casemagnum

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:19 AM

The only downfall could be IF they lose a lot of those games and get in a mental funk that they are no good. That could be hard to get out of and affect them for the rest of the season. You want to get off to a good start and think you can't get beat and are better than all the others. A good start goes a long way in sports psychology.

#57 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:38 AM

The only downfall could be IF they lose a lot of those games and get in a mental funk that they are no good. That could be hard to get out of and affect them for the rest of the season. You want to get off to a good start and think you can't get beat and are better than all the others. A good start goes a long way in sports psychology.

I think this where where coaching is the difference at this level.  Some kids are away from home for the first time, new school, new home and the highest level they've ever played at.  Challenge after challenge and this is where a coach, and vet players, can help kids deal with those challenges. 

Many coaches break the schedule down into say 5 game increments so a full 60 game schedule with its ups and downs doesn't seem so daunting and a group can experience some successes when they are below .500.   Lets say a group starts off 5-10 but took the last 5 game increment 4-1 or 3-2.  The overall record isn't good but a coach finds positives for the players to feel improvement/success. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#58 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:45 AM

Oh my goodness...

That preps them well for the playoffs  :)

I like the way you think, MadMan.  Glass always half full.......... The Steel also have a stretch of 7 straight at home and one where 15 of 18 are at home.  It equals out is the point.  Away games can be especially tough as far as travel if it's unreasonable.  IIRC CR had a particularly brutal stretch last year where they were crisscrossing the map in a condensed fashion. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users