Sign in to follow this  
Mr Ricochet

2017 Ivan Hlinka Tournament/USHL Well Represented at USA Hockey Select 17 Camp

Maiden

Can someone post the game video of the Czech USA game. I missed it and would like to view. Thanks

smalt21

The game feeds from YouTube are much better than the feeds from hokej.cz. Link is not current yet from USA - Czech.

I'll try to post later.

Edited by smalt21

Mr Ricochet

Count me in as waiting on the USA vs Czech feed.

smalt21

Does not work

working for me.

You have the blue screen for a minute or so , then 15 second Skoda commercial, then black screen with Neplanty stream (or something)

Let that sit for a couple minutes and then mine connected.

crb6

Not a whole lot to say about the Czech v US game from the standpoint of good. I don't think it was from a lack of effort, they just faced a stronger team playing at home. The Czechs seemed to use the wider east/west to their advantage with angles off the wall.

The Canada v Slovakia game may have been just a little too easy for Canada.

Mr Ricochet

Not a whole lot to say about the Czech v US game from the standpoint of good. I don't think it was from a lack of effort, they just faced a stronger team playing at home. The Czechs seemed to use the wider east/west to their advantage with angles off the wall.

As the players get bigger and faster more and more I like the international sized surface, especially at the big league level. A lot more options strategy wise and speed and skill rule.

crb6

As the players get bigger and faster more and more I like the international sized surface, especially at the big league level. A lot more options strategy wise and speed and skill rule.

I think hockey is going through the bigger ain’t better phase again, especially with the new philosophy on the back end where size doesn’t matter and a defenseman’s ability to jump up offensively is more important than clearing the front of the net. It used to be that you build a team from the tender out, now many coaches have gone to building from mobile D out and not from the tender out.

A lot of North American people talk about “Hockey IQ” which of course is important, but the Euros also emphasize “Vision” and “Angles”. When you review the video of the USA v Czech game it shows.

As far as the bigger ice surface is concerned…most old timers will tell you there are still just four corners. :)

Mr Ricochet

Solid post, crb. ...... Just as the NHL absorbed some of the Soviet style of precision, speed, movement of players and the puck in the 70's it is now taking on Euro thoughts of speed/skill/skating again and away from clutching/obstructing.

Yes, going away is the old school big lumbering Dman in favor of the puck moving mobile Dman. Instead of old thinking the new thought on defense is the best way to defend is to have the puck in the offensive zone and play the possession game and the Dman is the trigger for that.

Add that analytics now play a big part and prove that to be true and goalies play a robotic blocking/percentage style and are so big with oversized light equipment that keeping the puck out of the net is so much easier than the "old days". Add that all 5 skaters block many more shots due to their advanced equipment, that defense is taught/schemed as a 5 man responsibility means that many many more goalies are "sufficient".

And IMO bigger is always better if bigger is mobile. But I agree that bigger isn't as valuable as it once was at the expense of speed/mobility. And the bigger the surface the more important speed and less size.

crb6

Solid post, crb. ...... Just as the NHL absorbed some of the Soviet style of precision, speed, movement of players and the puck in the 70's it is now taking on Euro thoughts of speed/skill/skating again and away from clutching/obstructing.

Yes, going away is the old school big lumbering Dman in favor of the puck moving mobile Dman. Instead of old thinking the new thought on defense is the best way to defend is to have the puck in the offensive zone and play the possession game and the Dman is the trigger for that.

Add that analytics now play a big part and prove that to be true and goalies play a robotic blocking/percentage style and are so big with oversized light equipment that keeping the puck out of the net is so much easier than the "old days". Add that all 5 skaters block many more shots due to their advanced equipment, that defense is taught/schemed as a 5 man responsibility means that many many more goalies are "sufficient".

And IMO bigger is always better if bigger is mobile. But I agree that bigger isn't as valuable as it once was at the expense of speed/mobility. And the bigger the surface the more important speed and less size.

I agree, and finding a big kid who can fly as well as being good in tight is a big plus.

Mr Ricochet

Ivan Hlinka Memorial @HlinkaMemorial Aug 10

Save % leaders: Kraws USA 938, Miftakhov RUS 936, Hellsten SWE 931, Rodrigue CAN 923, Schmid SUI 915, Dostál CZE 907, Lindbom SWE 905.

0 replies 1 retweet 9 likes
Ivan Hlinka Memorial @HlinkaMemorial Aug 10

Points leaders: Zavgorodny RUS 9, Jeník CZE, Rotenberg RUS, Hayton CAN, Kupari FIN, Boqvist SWE all 6, 4 players with 5.

Mr Ricochet

If the link doesn't work from FYC, don't think it will live, go to You Tube and search "Canada U18 vs Czech Republic U18 Hockey 2017 Live Stream", or ghaka bion, he is the one streaming the game.

Maiden

Looks like USA won 5th place game in OT over Finland. Anyone catch it live? Details?

Mr Ricochet

Looks like USA won 5th place game in OT over Finland. Anyone catch it live? Details?

No, but that has to be a disappointing tournament for the US side.

Mr Ricochet

Canada looks good on the big surface. 75-80% of the play in the CZE zone. Fast surface, super springy end boards. CZE goalie Dostal looks huge and good.