Sign in to follow this  
Mr Ricochet

Storm lands D Malinowski in swap with Omaha

Mr Ricochet

Storm Site/David Fine Link

Malinowski was the 9th overall selection in the 2017 Phase II Draft. The 17-year-old is a Clarkston, MI native and spent last season with the Oakland Jr. Grizzlies U18, scoring 13 goals and 55 points in 83 games. He committed to Minnesota State in February. Malinowski stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 185 pounds.

Malinowski: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=367469

Koufis is a 2001 and turns 16 this month: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=316171

Jimmythegreek

Does anyone have any idea why Omaha would do a trade like this ?

Or better yet , What is going on in Omaha with Ownership / management, ?

Mr Ricochet

No idea, Greek. I realize sometimes a kid doesn't want to report to the club that drafted him for whatever reason, ain't saying this is one of those times, but it seems a 1st round pick should bring more back unless they're in love with the 15 yr old. Are they building for the 2018 season?

CalmbeforetheStorm

Lots of rumors floating around that there is a battle between Mervis and DiCesare who disagree about how to bring the team back and that the hiring of Wilke was all DiCesare idea a longtime before Kaufman was fired. According to some people Mervis and Sullivan thought there were better candidates that would be more acceptable to the fan base and to bring back the culture but DiCesare wouldn’t by in. To top it off some people say Wilke hasn’t given up control of the Omaha AAA program so he can draw two checks. Lots of USHL coaches and parents of players talking about it but whether there is any truth about it is unknown although many people knew Wilke was going to be hired long before he was. There is also lots of speculation that Wilke’s kid Colton a Fargo draft will end up on the Lancers since his brother Chris transferred to Colorado University from UND and Colton Wilke is a Colorado commit who was drafted by Fargo in 2016 in the 6th round.

hang10

Lots of rumors floating around that there is a battle between Mervis and DiCesare who disagree about how to bring the team back and that the hiring of Wilke was all DiCesare idea a longtime before Kaufman was fired. According to some people Mervis and Sullivan thought there were better candidates that would be more acceptable to the fan base and to bring back the culture but DiCesare wouldn’t by in. To top it off some people say Wilke hasn’t given up control of the Omaha AAA program so he can draw two checks. Lots of USHL coaches and parents of players talking about it but whether there is any truth about it is unknown although many people knew Wilke was going to be hired long before he was. There is also lots of speculation that Wilke’s kid Colton a Fargo draft will end up on the Lancers since his brother Chris transferred to Colorado University from UND and Colton Wilke is a Colorado commit who was drafted by Fargo in 2016 in the 6th round.

You might want to look at where Malinowski is committed and then scratch your head?

omalancers

Wilkie hasn't given up his role as GM of Omaha AAA. From what I have heard he does not plan on relinquishing that role. I think this year is going to be very interesting for Omaha. I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen or what Wilkie is looking for in his team.

hackshow22

Wilkie hasn't given up his role as GM of Omaha AAA. From what I have heard he does not plan on relinquishing that role. I think this year is going to be very interesting for Omaha. I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen or what Wilkie is looking for in his team.

And leave behind all that cheddar from Omaha AAA? Not a chance!

Maiden

You might want to look at where Malinowski is committed and then scratch your head?

Please explain; don't follow

hang10

The head coach at Mankato State is long time Omaha coach Mike Hastings. It is pretty well known that Hastings and Sullivan are pretty good friends you might think a former Omaha coach wouldn't mind having his commit in Omaha or maybe the kid just didn't want to play there.

Maiden

The head coach at Mankato State is long time Omaha coach Mike Hastings. It is pretty well known that Hastings and Sullivan are pretty good friends you might think a former Omaha coach wouldn't mind having his commit in Omaha or maybe the kid just didn't want to play there.

I'll take this for $800 Alex.

Jimmythegreek

I'll think Mervis is OUT and Diceasre has a couple new partners ( with him owning majority).

Hence , the Wilkie hire and a 1st rnd pick being traded that has close ties to Omaha, Mervis and Sullivan.

It looks like they are making room for another D-man

hang10

I'll think Mervis is OUT and Diceasre has a couple new partners ( with him owning majority).

Hence , the Wilkie hire and a 1st rnd pick being traded that has close ties to Omaha, Mervis and Sullivan.

Time will tell, as will the first 20 games.

Yeti

I've heard the same. Hard for me to believe he would take the Lancers job and agree to give up on the AAA program, which is a cash cow. No way.

hang10

I've heard the same. Hard for me to believe he would take the Lancers job and agree to give up on the AAA program, which is a cash cow. No way.

You would have to be pretty good to do both, make that all three if he is also the Lancer's GM. Something ain't right in Omaha.

CalmbeforetheStorm

You would have to be pretty good to do both, make that all three if he is also the Lancer's GM. Something ain't right in Omaha.

Someone said over a year ago when the other coach was still coaching that Wilke would be the next coach. So this move must have really been planned out but letting him keep two jobs doesn't make sense.

iowaninja

Is there a lot of during the season turnover that the GM role would be busy at the AAA level?

hang10

Is there a lot of during the season turnover that the GM role would be busy at the AAA level?

Looks like the business model might be to do both at the same time using the Lancer's name to bring in young players to recruit for the AAA team. It might not make the Lancer's fans happy if they don't win but good for the cash flow.

http://www.lancers.com/futuresdevelopment

omalancers

Wilkie is going to have to have a good team in place or he is set up for failure.

CalmbeforetheStorm

Wilkie is going to have to have a good team in place or he is set up for failure.

I think the Storm are happy to get Malinowski no matter what the reason. This could come back to haunt the Lancers if he is as good as it appears he is.

hang10

No more Keith Sullivan on their site, he was for awhile. It looks like a one man show with Wilke being the show. A place holder for a sale perhaps?

http://www.lancers.com/page/show/1591455-hockey-operations-staff

Yeti

So Keith Sullivan is gone for sure then? Interesting times in Omaha.

omalancers

Sullivan is gone from the Lancers. It doesn't seem like he was happy with the hiring of the coach and once the dust settled he backed out.

Edited by omalancers

hang10

Sullivan is gone from the Lancers. It doesn't seem like he was happy with the hiring of the coach and once the dust settled he backed out.

Heard the same, and that Wilke will probably bring in Jake Ortmeyer from the AAA organization as his assistant. Interesting stuff.

intheknow

Have any of you seen Malinowski play? I mean, he really wasn't worthy of a 1st round pick. Neither was their first pick int he Futures draft. Kid was the 3rd or 4th best 2001 D on his team!