Mr Ricochet

Team USA's World Junior Camp Roster/WJSS/WJC Thread

Mr Ricochet

Hey BF, and anyone else reading, what do you think of USA's jerseys?  I like them.  The US really doesn't have a logo like the maple leaf for CAN or a crest like the Euro clubs so you don't miss anything with the big number on the front of the jersey. 

redwing77

1-0 Sweden going into the last 5 minutes of the 2nd period.

Great goal but Sweden on the Power Play.

Incredible lack of intelligence on Dylan Samburg (sp?) on taking a needless penalty.  I'm glad I'm not a coach because I'd harm USA by benching him until the 3rd period.

Bigfoot
24 minutes ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Hey BF, and anyone else reading, what do you think of USA's jerseys?  I like them.  The US really doesn't have a logo like the maple leaf for CAN or a crest like the Euro clubs so you don't miss anything with the big number on the front of the jersey. 

True Mr. Rico but I would prefer a bigger "USA" on the front since there is a large number on the back.

Mr Ricochet
17 minutes ago, redwing77 said:

1-0 Sweden going into the last 5 minutes of the 2nd period.

Great goal but Sweden on the Power Play.

Incredible lack of intelligence on Dylan Samburg (sp?) on taking a needless penalty.  I'm glad I'm not a coach because I'd harm USA by benching him until the 3rd period.

Didn't control his stick.  So far I like the officiating, they are letting them play as much as you'll see internationally........ Sveden has yet to trail in this tournament.........

redwing77

EDIT:

You can't be that bad to make it to the semi's but WOW.  I've NEVER seen a worse powerplay than that right there.  They didn't even seem to care.

Good luck to Sweden. 

Next stop is Team USA working HARD on special teams and finishing.  This 3rd period was EPIC in terms of AWFUL.

Edited by redwing77

Mr Ricochet

2 shorties (on the same US PP), a PP and a 5 on 5 goal for Sveden.  3 goals on their last 7 shots makes this thing 4-nuttin in the 3rd. 

redwing77

4-1 Bellows.

Yamamoto and Norris missed open nets.

USA blew a 3 on 0 breakaway big time (got called on a penalty).

No finishers.  We're making Sweden's goaltender look like the next Patrick Roy meets Martin Brodeur with a smattering of Henrik Lundqvist.

redwing77

Off topic but..

I'm really liking those "We all play for Canada" commercials.  They're classy.  I particularly enjoy the man who makes a sled for his wheelchair-bound son so he can play sled hockey. 

EDIT:  It's Canadian Tire.

Here's the commercial: 

Edited by redwing77

Mr Ricochet
2 minutes ago, redwing77 said:

Off topic but..

I'm really liking those "We all play for Canada" commercials.  They're classy.  I particularly enjoy the man who makes a sled for his wheelchair-bound son so he can play sled hockey. 

Isn't that his daughter he makes the sled for? 

redwing77
5 minutes ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Isn't that his daughter he makes the sled for? 

I couldn't tell.  I guess it didn't really matter to me.  I just thought guy was 100% awesome.  Ok, and I'm also jealous of the house...the view out the backyard... the seemingly private pond...  So it may be a bit too ideal, but what a great commercial.

redwing77
45 minutes ago, Mr Ricochet said:

He's right and wrong.

He's right in the fact that the team lacked finishers.  Bellows and.... um... Bellows.  if you only have 1 finisher on a team, it's going to be REALLY hard to win the championship.  Sweden had several finishers and they showed, especially in the 3rd period, that it didn't matter which phase of the game they were in... they'd always have one on the ice.

Looking at the 3rd period, I'm amazed the US had 2 goals.  Looking at the entire game, I'm amazed that Sweden had less than 10.

Dilks talked about the 3rd period powerplay that saw Sweden score 2 goals.  3 goals in less than 2.5 minutes in memory served.  I've watched a lot of hockey in my time but I've NEVER seen an all star team the caliber of USA EVER play as poorly as that 3 minute stretch.  Luckily, games aren't played in 3 minutes.  Just atrocious.

The style of play US brought to the ice was great for most of the game, but the real turning point was the idiotic penalty Dylan Sanburg (sp?) took.  Team USA was bringing it to Sweden but couldn't score.  This meant that, in order to win, USA couldn't screw up.  They did, and they didn't have the ability to come back from it.  Add the 3 on 0 failure and the amazing 3 minutes in the 3rd, and this team was just lucky they're in medal contention at all.

Good for Dilks to paint a positive spin on this game, but let's be honest here... it was only a good game for 1.5 periods if you root for the Red, White, and Blue.  If you are all in for the Gold and Blue Crowns, what a game.

I'm hoping that Team USA gets its head out of its backside, start playing for the letters on the front of the jersey, and show some pride in the Bronze Medal game.  No guarantees because, as Dilks puts it, USA was out for Gold, not Bronze. 

I'm not sure how Team USA evaluates the WJC coaching staff and how they determine whether or not to bring a coach back or whatever, but I would be interested to see their take on Motzko's performance.  I'm not sure it's all his fault but man... that 3rd period...  Perhaps my only criticism is that I would have called a timeout after the first shorty.  Get them recentered and pump them up a bit... I can't say what I'd do other than that.  You can't just make up new Power Play units on the fly in the semis. 

I think I wouldn't be nearly as hard on Team USA had they lost 1-0 or 2-1 or even 2-0.  Oh well.

I hope they get Bronze.

Chipper Fan
16 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

The jersey collecting community largely detests this jersey. Not many fans of it amongst collectors. However, I personally like them. Simple look. That they're wearing them the year the Bills make the playoffs for the first time in 17 years is pretty cool. 

Mr Ricochet
2 hours ago, Chipper Fan said:

The jersey collecting community largely detests this jersey. Not many fans of it amongst collectors. However, I personally like them. Simple look. That they're wearing them the year the Bills make the playoffs for the first time in 17 years is pretty cool. 

Haven't seen much on Twitter but what I have from the established writers they seem to like them.  .......

Chipper Fan
4 hours ago, Mr Ricochet said:

Haven't seen much on Twitter but what I have from the established writers they seem to like them.  .......

That's not surprising. Most of the hockey media are level-headed. Hockey jersey collectors ... not always the most rational.