Mr Ricochet

Team USA's World Junior Camp Roster/WJSS/WJC Thread

Mr Ricochet

Last yrs Stars goalie Josef Korenar is in goal for CZE vs Russia and looks excellent.  CZE outshot about 16-5 thru 1, score tied at 2 each.  ..... SF's Berdin is the #2 for Russia but the way the kid in goal is playing, he's shaky, Berdin will get a look a chance this tournament. 

Mr Ricochet
1 hour ago, Mr Ricochet said:

The above link worked for the 1st period, went dead the 2nd.  This link is working but is delayed 30 minutes:  http://canadahockey.xyz/

Mr Ricochet

Fun fact:  Finland's 1st PP unit has Rasanen playing center and Tolvenan setting up on the wall ala Patrick Kane.  Both players played for SC last yr. 

Mr Ricochet

Mittlestadt playing center, on the 3rd line?

Chipper Fan

I don't know Harper's game but if Tufte and Mittlestadt click, that could be a good line for secondary scoring. 

Mr Ricochet
14 minutes ago, Chipper Fan said:

I don't know Harper's game but if Tufte and Mittlestadt click, that could be a good line for secondary scoring. 

They're only playing Denmark so I guess this is the game to experiment and look to spread scoring but Mittlestadt has MVP talent.  ...... Also thought Samberg was their 7th Dman and he's paired with top Dman Fox while probable top 10 pick this yr Hughes is listed as the 7th Dman. 

Mr Ricochet

I know it's only Denmark, but man does the US look beastly?  Size, speed, skill.  Shame the US-CAN game will be played outdoors.  Those outdoor games were nonsense 10 yrs ago and they're worse now.  Waste of a chance to show the world what these two programs can do.

Mr Ricochet

First day in the books.  US clobbers Denmark 9-zip.  Denmark is usually competitive but were just overwhelmed.  World Juniors 2018: USA vs. Denmark recap — Tour de Force

Canada takes care of business vs Finland. Hawk Dman prospect 2017 1st rounder Henri Jokiharju played a big role getting PP time, scored a goal on a shot from the point, 2nd in Dman ice time with 20:16 and had 3 shots.   TSN  Katchouk, Mete lead Canada to opening win over Finland

Best game of the day was the Czech upset of Russia.  CZE up 5-2 with 2:30 to go, Hawks prospect 2016 2nd rounder Artur Kayumov #28 scores in the paint, they pull the goalie and get another to make it 5-4 and that's how it ended.  Kayumov finished with a goal, assist, +2, 3 shots in 14:39 of ice time.  The other Hawk prospect playing for Russia 2917 2nd rounder Andrei Altyharmakyan #16 got PP time, had a primary assist, 1 shot in 15:03 of ice time.  Hawks had another prospect playing, 2017 5th rounder puck moving Dman Jacob Galvas #23 for CZE. He finished 3rd in ice time for CZE Dmen, had an assist, 1 shot, a -1.    The link has highlights.     TSN  Czechs upset Russia to open World Juniors

And Sweden took care of business beating Belarus 6-1.  Hawk prospect 2017 4th rounder Tim Soderland #9 was held off the scoresheet skating 11:10, 2 shots and a +1.   Did not watch this game.  Link has highlights.  TSN  Sweden opens with win over Belarus

Today's schedule:

Dec. 27:

Switzerland-Belarus 3 p.m. (TSN 1/3)
Slovakia-Canada 7 p.m. (TSN 1/3/4)  Steel's F Sam Bucek is on the Slovakian roster. 

Mr Ricochet

Nice mention of Steel forward Sam Bucek who is playing for Slovakia. Gamblers alum David Hrenak seems to be the #1 goalie.

THW/Nathaniel Oliver  WJC Slovakia Roster

Mr Ricochet

IIHF  This Dane doing it right, Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup

In the meantime, there is no letting up. As he says, the USHL is “a fast game, a skilled game. The talent level is really high. It’s a good league for me. I’ve worked a lot on my skating, and I’m playing with guys now who can put the puck on my stick. I’ve been using my shot a lot, but the credit goes to my teammates up in Fargo.”

Asked to describe his game from a scout’s perspective, Schmidt-Svejstrup is precise: “Power forward who can shoot the puck and can also makes plays.

Mr Ricochet

The US is back at it before the farce that is the outdoor game vs Canada.  Slovakia isn't a big test, and they played last night, but another chance for the US to flex it's muscles against what should be stiffer competition than Denmark was.  Wondering if Motzko gives Oetinger a shot in net tonight to get him some action if he's needed later in the tournament?

Dec. 28:

Finland-Denmark 12 p.m. (TSN 1/4)
Russia-Switzerland 2 p.m. (TSN 3/5)
Sweden-Czech Republic 4 p.m. (TSN 1/4)
USA-Slovakia 8 p.m. (TSN 1/4/5)

Mr Ricochet

Wow, Finland with 62 SOG, Denmark with 7!!

DSKBDRLVAAE9mJ0.jpg

Mr Ricochet

Steel's Sam Bucek on Slovakia's huge upset of USA...........

Mr Ricochet
9 minutes ago, smalt21 said:

WOW ---- USA Hockey with a Clunker.

Did not see this game.  Box says 3-2 win for Slovakia, Woll got the start, his 2nd, US outshot em 45-25, Bucek's game winner came with 2:08 left one minute after Mittlestadt tied it at 2, Bucek has 3 points in two games, only 3 penalties in the game, attendance 8,188..........

Mr Ricochet

So Motzko gives Woll the start vs Denmark in the opener and instead of giving Oettinger a start vs SVK in Game #2 he goes with Woll again seemingly solidifying him as the #1 cuz you ain't gonna give a goalie their first start of the tournament outdoors vs Canada, right?  Wrong, Oettinger goes today.  Woll is not dressed so he may be dinged.

Mr Ricochet

Makar 5 hole on the PP from 25 ft.  All USA 5 minutes in as far as zone and possession time.  ......... Conditions suck.   A real shame these two go at it outdoors. 

Mr Ricochet

Dube on a PP, top shelf from low circle. 2-0 CAN at 14:50 of the 1st.

Mr Ricochet

Us gets on the board on a 5 on 3.  Bellows smokes a slapper off the iron from 20 feet.  16:30 of the 2nd, 2-1.

Mr Ricochet

Minute later Bean wrister from the point deflects on the way in.  3-1.