Mr Ricochet

Team USA's World Junior Camp Roster/WJSS Thread

Mr Ricochet

I don't see all these players live so my predictions as far as who will go when in the NHL draft ain't worth much. After seeing Svechnikov live 4-5 times I can't imagine there are too many more players his age on earth better than him. Kid has every skill imaginable and size too.

I'm at the WJSS and Sweden is playing Finland in the final game Saturday. The very first shift #8 in Sweden yellow jumps out. Look at the roster and it's Rasmus Dahlin. I zero in on the kid and by the end of his second shift I think to myself if I have the #1 pick I'm taking this kid. Incredibly smooth and calm in every aspect. His stride is so effortless and smooth you don't realize how fast he is until a forward is chasing him and can't keep up. The closest thing I've seen to Nick Lidstrom in style at any level. Has the look of a generational player and as a Dman I'd take him first.

Patrick Harper really jumped out for the US. Kid has a ton of compete, speed and plays low. Biggest surprise to me.

Mikey Anderson was fantastic. His stride looked even better than when playing USHL competition. I think this is the kind of player that gets better with better teammates and competition. Handled the speed and skill of the 64 1st round picks Canada sends out without a glitch. No way to see just how good this kid was playing USHL but you sure could against the best the world has to offer at his age.

Same for Mittlestadt. No way to see just how dynamic, fast and silky the kid is without world class teammates and competition. Might end up being the best of the 2017 draft class. Canada was intent on bodying the kid and he didn't shy away at all.

Dylan Samburg. Big kid belonged and showed well against the speed/skill of Canada.

My guy Jack Badini. Coaches dream in that he's predictable/responsible, can slot on any line, good at the dot, plays PK. The definition of a team player. As a Steel fan watching him against the best in the world was really proud of the kid.

Say this every year that the USHL gets better and better but seeing these non-NTDP players against the best in the world it really hits home. If you're a fan of the league you're damn lucky to have a team in your town and able to see these kids come through.

redwing77

Read a few reports that spoke glowingly about USA Defenseman Sean Dooghe.

I realize he's not USHL but... maybe they see something I don't? He was alright but not great. Pretty nice giveaway to seal the deal for Finland too.

Please inform me how wrong I am?

Mr Ricochet

Dhooghe is that 4ft 8in forward from the NTDP. As the tournament went deeper he was less effective from what I saw. He was a non factor on Friday and Saturday. Could be wrong and who knows how Motzko wants to set up his roster but I don't see Dhooghe making the roster.

Maiden

I realize he's not USHL but... maybe they see something I don't? He was alright but not great. Pretty nice giveaway to seal the deal for Finland too.

Sean Dhooghe isn't a defenseman. That's how wrong are to start with.

herbst20

I love watching Dhooghe, but dont think he has a shot at the team. As a Badger fan, I am really excited to see how his play translates to the NCAA game.

kometsfan

I love watching Dhooghe, but dont think he has a shot at the team. As a Badger fan, I am really excited to see how his play translates to the NCAA game.

Some people like him!

https://www.fearthefin.com/2017/7/7/15938242/sean-dhooghe-a-fan-favorite-after-prospect-scrimmage-but-may-never-play-for-sharks

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/22/sports/hockey/nhl-draft-sean-dhooghe.html

Edited by kometsfan

redwing77

Nuts!

Sorry everyone.

FLHockeyMom

Red Wing: Sean Day, not Dooghe, is the OHL dman who had that bad turnover. IMHO, you're not wrong in your assessment.

Mr Ricochet

Nuts!

Sorry everyone.

Sorry for what, 77? Easy enough to get names and players mixed up. I know I do more times than not following jrs with the only constant being change.

No way a fan doesn't root for Dhooghe. Kid is tiny, fearless, skilled and exciting. But has been mentioned making the WJC roster will be tough.

FLHockeyMom

Nuts!

Sorry everyone.

Sorry for what, 77? Easy enough to get names and players mixed up. I know I do more times than not following jrs with the only constant being change.

No way a fan doesn't root for Dhooghe. Kid is tiny, fearless, skilled and exciting. But has been mentioned making the WJC roster will be tough.

Just to be clear, I was agreeing with 77's assessment that Sean Day was "alright but not great." Sean Dooghe is fantastic for an undersized F.

Mr Ricochet

Red Wing: Sean Day, not Dooghe, is the OHL dman who had that bad turnover. IMHO, you're not wrong in your assessment.

Welcome, Florida Mom........... Watching the WJSS live I was thinking Day being drafted in the 3rd round by NYR was a steal. Kid has a lot of game and looked good. It was pointed out to me by a Windsor fan Day was granted exceptional player status and was allowed to play OHL at 15 yrs old.

Whole lot of Florida plates in Plymouth. Lotta fans/parents seem to have made the trip.

FLHockeyMom

Welcome, Florida Mom........... Watching the WJSS live I was thinking Day being drafted in the 3rd round by NYR was a steal. Kid has a lot of game and looked good. It was pointed out to me by a Windsor fan Day was granted exceptional player status and was allowed to play OHL at 15 yrs old.

Whole lot of Florida plates in Plymouth. Lotta fans/parents seem to have made the trip.

Thanks for the welcome. Admittedly I'm more of a lurker than poster, but I enjoy reading the forum. Just thought I'd jump in to clear up the Day vs. Dhooghe confusion (and apologies for misspelling Dhooghe - I pride myself on being more accurate than that LOL). No disrespect to Sean Day, BTW. I'm familiar with his impressive path as we actually relocated from Plymouth to FL in 2005, and my son is a late '97 dman who did his learn-to-skate at the former Compuware Arena and still plays. Not surprisingly I focus on the blueliners quite a lot.

Mr Ricochet

Glad you decided to post. Fine to just read but participating is so much more fun. This is 3 times I've been to Plymouth but my first time making it to downtown. Impressive quaint little place .............

I think I have Day rated higher than most from reading around. Head up and a beautiful, powerful, smooth stride. Couple times I had to look down at the roster just to make sure he was a 3rd rounder.

As mentioned I spoke with a Windsor fan who knew his stuff. Mentioned Day can be "difficult" at times. Who knows if true but that may be one reason he wasn't drafted earlier.

redwing77

Nuts!

Sorry everyone.

Nuts!

Sorry everyone.

Just to be clear, I was agreeing with 77's assessment that Sean Day was "alright but not great." Sean Dooghe is fantastic for an undersized F.

Mr. Riccochet - I apologized because I could have known that beforehand with a simple Google Search. I try to be a bit better informed on basics than that.

FLHockeyMom - I could've swore it was Dhooghe, but I guess I'm wrong. That's what happens when you are listening to it on the radio. Oh well.

Mr Ricochet

Looks as though Chris Peters is back blogging for his United States of Hockey blog. A very good thing for fans of the NTDP and the USHL as well.

USOH/Chris Peters Thoughts on the WJCC

Mr Ricochet
21 hours ago, turk181 said:

USA Hockey has announced that the game time for WJC outdoor gm b/w USA-CAN on 12/29 at New Era Field, BUF, will be 3pm ET

I'm surprised they would have such an important game played outdoors.  Never been a fan of these money making schemes from a player standpoint.   As a fan I'd never do it.  Always move my Hawk tix of the outdoor games.