10 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,944 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:06 AM

Aaron Westendorf @USHLAaron 11m11 minutes ago

After scouring through 30+ years of media guides & team rosters, the complete USHL history at the NHL Draft is live! http://www.ushl.com/nhldraft

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#2 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,944 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:37 AM

Didn't realize Sam Gagner was a Musketeer.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#3 captamer7

3nd Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:43 AM

The Sioux City tryout camp that Gagner was at in 2005 had to be one of the most stacked tryout camps ever in the USHL. A few other players that come to mind that were in camp were Cody Goloubef, currently with the Avalanche, and Brendan Smith, currently with the Rangers. The amount of scouts there was mind boggling.

#4 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,944 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:38 PM

Then the following year Pacioretty as a Musketeer.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#5 Ryan

Cup Winning Goalie

• Global Mod
  • 4,365 posts
  • Interests:Musketeers, Avalanche, and USHL hockey.

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

The year Gagner was in SC, the team was also trying to get Peter Mueller on board, but he ultimately chose the WHL.

#6 Bevalaqua

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

TSN Bob McKenzie's list of Top 100 for the draft accidentally got leaked early...  got taken down from the TSN site, but somebody posted the article here...  

http://imgur.com/a/sz3Ci

That's 20 USHLers in the top 100

Edited by Bevalaqua, 15 June 2017 - 02:03 PM.

#7 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,944 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

TSN Bob McKenzie's list of Top 100 for the draft accidentally got leaked early...  got taken down from the TSN site, but somebody posted the article here...  

http://imgur.com/a/sz3Ci

That's 20 USHLers in the top 100

I think Farrance and Barratt will do better than their draft position.  The more I saw Mikey Anderson the more I liked him.  Wouldn't surprise me a bit if he ended up the best Dman of the USHL 2017 class but that too might go to Farrance.  A nderson has the look of a very good #4 NHL Dman.  .......... I think if NTDP's Quin Hughes was draft eligible this year he'd be the first USHL Dman off the board.  ..........

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#8 casemagnum

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:38 PM

Not many here thought he would do much. I personally loved his style of play, along with his size. He stood in front of the net a lot. Even in warm ups you could find him there swatting at rebounds. The more the opposing players hit him and checked him while he was playing there, the more he liked it. Still is a style of play you cannot teach. Wish more kids would pick up on it. The dirty goals are the ones that normally pay off and are game changers.

#9 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,944 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

Not many here thought he would do much. I personally loved his style of play, along with his size. He stood in front of the net a lot. Even in warm ups you could find him there swatting at rebounds. The more the opposing players hit him and checked him while he was playing there, the more he liked it. Still is a style of play you cannot teach. Wish more kids would pick up on it. The dirty goals are the ones that normally pay off and are game changers.

Yea, he has the size to get to and play in the dirty areas.  His compete, as you mention, along with a helluva shot, and great hands got him to the NHL.  .............. No doubt, at any level you wanna score goals get to the net.  You notice that midget Guentzal in the crease all series vs Nashville.  Scored a bunch from 2-3 feet out.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#10 casemagnum

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:07 PM

Yes and honestly Mr. R. I never thought Guentzel would make it to the NHL. His size was my main reason why no but it didn't seem when he played here in SC that he didn't get in front of the net for the dirty goals. Great for him to have made it and doing as good as he did in just the post season as a rookie!!

#11 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,944 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:34 PM

Case, Guentzal was a question just cuz of his size but the Pens did use a 3rd rounder on him.  Thought he was a lower round pick. No shame having concern over his size........... Let me share my acumen.  It was my opinion that Jaden Schwartz was a perimeter player and that he would get bounced out of the NHL.  I was besides myself when the Hawks drafted Nick Schmaltz especially when Robbie Fabbri was on the board.  Watched him waltz through his junior career and thought he'll never have the fortitude for the big leagues.  He's still a question but effort and compete, as well as a 1,000% improvement in his zone, are not anymore and that was my concern.  Lotta talent Schmaltz has. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users