Sign in to follow this  
Mr Ricochet

Clark Cup Final (Clark Cup Game 3)

Mr Ricochet

SC Journal/Jeff Budlong Musketeers head to Chicago for Game 3

“Awareness to their top guys we have to raise a little more attention to and just playing the right way when those guys are on the ice. We need to make sure those guys have a hard 200 foot to go down the ice not an easy ice where they are just skating around.”

HansTaughtUsToFly

As a neutral fan I'm hoping Chicago has a good attendance number tonight and tomorrow.

casemagnum

No score listed or time listed on hockey tv by Chicago. At least Curtis is telling us time left and time left on pp's.

MuskiesFan4Ever

Going to be difficult for the Muskies to score goals when they're stuck out along the walls with no idea how to get the puck to the front of the net for quality shots. Ugh!

MuskiesFan4Ever

Muskies' offense has scored 1 goal in 6 periods... going to be hard to win anything with offense like that.

Do or die for the Muskies Saturday night!!

casemagnum

Chicago took it to SC again!!! Should have been a penalty on Johnstone for running over the SC goalie just after SC Wilson was called for high sticking. And Wilson's penalty should have been interference or holding, not high sticking.

SC is trying to attack the zone with 2 or 3 guys coming in together and lucky to be an arm's reach away from each other. Need to spread it out a little. Chicago is just splitting them gaps and has 1 or 2 players covering it. That frees them up 3 or 4 to defend the other 2. Chicago is being more physical and sc does not know how to react or play against.

SC's foreigners are still just standing around. Chicago has taken Tolvanen out of his game and no one has stepped up. They keep dump and chasing, sitting up around perimeter, not going to the net and getting after Stezka.

Chicago is cleaning the ice off with SC. SC has no chance playing like this. Congrats to Chicago.

Mr Ricochet

As a neutral fan I'm hoping Chicago has a good attendance number tonight and tomorrow.

Great crowd and this with the Kane County Cougars drawing 6,875 a few hundred yards away. With the little band that played before the game followed by Cornielson doing the anthem the crowd was into it from puck drop. .......Good for the league to have a solid entry in Chicago.

Nice spattering of Musketeer fans who made the 8 hour drive. Hats off to those fans supporting their boys. I guess his name is Bob, the SC fan with the helmet that waves the Musketeer flag. He was in the house with 15-20 Musketeer fans.

Mr Ricochet

Steel Site Steel one win away from Clark Cup with 3-0 blanking of Sioux City

Following an electric performance by Chicago Blackhawks anthem singer Jim Cornelison, the Steel came out firing. Chicago outshot the Musketeers 9-1 in the game’s initial five minutes of action.

The Steel outshot the Musketeers, 36-27. Chicago’s power play went 1-for-6, while the Steel penalty kill denied all four Sioux City man-advantage opportunities.

Mr Ricochet

Chicago has taken Tolvanen out of his game and no one has stepped up.

I'll know better when I watch the game in the morning but I feel safe saying Muse had his 4th line of Gratton-Shore-Long out vs Knies-Rasanen-Tolvenev line for maybe 50% of their shifts.

Mr Ricochet

Couple quick thoughts before I watch the game.

Was great to see SC's Wilson on the ice, then he limps off a few minutes in. He did come back and in I think the 2nd period Badini rocketed out of his zone on the loose and Wilson caught up enough the hook em before he got a shot off. Looks like he's close to being healthy if not already there.

Steel Dman Corson Green had the best game I've seen him play. Kid made the right play all game long, played with his head up and his purposely wide shot from the point off the end boards that led to the 1st goal, the game winner, showed a lot of IQ. Watched this kid grow and take a step forward tonight.

Mr Ricochet

Just popped into my head, with last nights loss Kivlenieks lost back to back games for the first time this season.

Mr Ricochet

Thought the interference (pick) call in the 1st on Kelleher off the faceoff was borderline at best. Love set faceoff plays and refs paying attention to them but this one was borderline. .......IMO could have called YTown on 25-30% of their faceoff wins but refs were oblivious to the possibility of picks off a faceoff. .

Yeti

If it wasn't for the Stezka eligibility fiasco before that first game, this series would likely be over with a sweep.

Mr Ricochet

Chicago took it to SC again!!! Should have been a penalty on Johnstone for running over the SC goalie just after SC Wilson was called for high sticking. And Wilson's penalty should have been interference or holding, not high sticking.

SC is trying to attack the zone with 2 or 3 guys coming in together and lucky to be an arm's reach away from each other. Need to spread it out a little. Chicago is just splitting them gaps and has 1 or 2 players covering it. That frees them up 3 or 4 to defend the other 2. Chicago is being more physical and sc does not know how to react or play against.

SC's foreigners are still just standing around. Chicago has taken Tolvanen out of his game and no one has stepped up. They keep dump and chasing, sitting up around perimeter, not going to the net and getting after Stezka.

Chicago is cleaning the ice off with SC. SC has no chance playing like this. Congrats to Chicago.

At the risk of badgering you Case, did you see the play or are you going off of Curtis' call of 5 times saying Kiv was "drilled"? In real time I thought penalty shot but watching on Hockey TV I thought borderline call on Wilson, great to see the kid back and skating well, and an embellishment/flop call on Kiv. He was bumped and went down like a soccer player hit by a bazooka blast.... On Wilson if you're beat, a step behind and a player is bearing down on your goalie and you get your stick parallel to the ice good chance you'll get whistled whether you deserve it or not. His stick did kinda ride up Badini to his head but I didn't see contact.

Mr Ricochet

Just finished up watching this game, amazing how much you can miss sitting in the stands.

Going in the #1 thing I was looking for was if SC could tighten things up in their zone, limit high danger and odd man chances and stay more structured or this series was over. IMO they did but wasn't sure why until watching on the computer.

The Dmen nicely challenged the puck carrier much much higher, a few times before the Steel crossed the blueline. This allowed back checkers to not have to come as far back to break up drop and cross ice passes, filled the center lane for cut backs and it worked pretty well. Can't remember a Steel drop pass, odd man breaks were rare, much less skating freely in the SC zone and guys were pretty much marked. SC has tightened their gaps and that lowered Steel chances and time and space with backcheckers getting back fast enough.

Thought SC adjusted nicely.

Next I watched for SC to get some traffic and 2nd chances in front of and on Stezka. Watching live I thought there was much more traffic but not too many 2nd chances due to decent rebound control and solid positioning by Steel Dmen. But no doubt the Musketeers adjusted and were more dangerous as a result. They ain't there yet but have adjusted and it's safe to assume some puck luck, a screen or bounce will go their way as a result.

Again thought SC adjusted nicely.

Driving home I thought SC didn't have that many grade A's but rewatching I was off. Was impressed how it seemed to slow down a bit for SC in the attack zone. Lotta heads up that found options that resulted in weak side chances and one timers. Blocks, saves or just misses kept the puck out of the net but again adjustments could be seen and it resulted in some solid chances. Thought SC was just more aware in the attack zone.

This said IMO this thing ain't over. A bad period by Stezka, a couple defensive breakdowns, a couple deflections or puck luck and SC can steel Game 4. SC has given themselves a chance with their solid adjustments, especially in their zone, and have a real chance in Game 4.

Hopefully Dman Wilson is good to go and can play 3 periods tonight.

Noticed how much improved the Steel 4th line was 5-6 games ago when Muse moved Long to that line with Gratton and Shore centering. Noticed the zone time and chances that line was getting. But this line has gelled so much starting in the 2nd period Muse had them out vs Tolvenen most every time the Fin was on the ice. Add to that this is the line Muse chooses to ice after a goal is scored. That is incredible to me....... Helluva move by Muse resulting in a true 4 line attack with the top 6-9 not having the responsibility or burning energy going up against Tolvenen allowing them to be that much fresher and as a result more dangerous.

Thought the Steel made a concerted uncharacteristic effort in the 1st period to simply get pucks at Kivlenieks' legs from every angle passing up chances to move the puck around to get a better look. Found that interesting.

Steel went exclusively with 5 Dmen, again. Doesn't seem to be a problem and as mentioned earlier thought 99 Dman Corson Green played his best game. Some of these Dman have to be logging 30 minutes.

Just so many Steel playing at the top of their game right now I could list every one of them. Gotta mention Walker for his disciplined and all around play. Also Lewandowski must have had 5-6-7 beautiful feeds. Kid has elite vision, excellent IQ and buttery soft hands. And what can one say about Stezka? Going head to head with the top goalie in the league, giving him his first back to back losses of the whole year and simply out playing him.

IMO Game 4 will be one that won't disappoint.

Spit n Argue

If it wasn't for the Stezka eligibility fiasco before that first game, this series would likely be over with a sweep.

Agree'd!!! Here's to hoping SC can atleast hang with Chicago tonight and keep it interesting.

casemagnum

At the risk of badgering you Case, did you see the play or are you going off of Curtis' call of 5 times saying Kiv was "drilled"? In real time I thought penalty shot but watching on Hockey TV I thought borderline call on Wilson, great to see the kid back and skating well, and an embellishment/flop call on Kiv. He was bumped and went down like a soccer player hit by a bazooka blast.... On Wilson if you're beat, a step behind and a player is bearing down on your goalie and you get your stick parallel to the ice good chance you'll get whistled whether you deserve it or not. His stick did kinda ride up Badini to his head but I didn't see contact.

I did watch the entire game at the watch party the Musketeers organization and Buffalo Wild Wings had. There was no sound for the game as the staff at BWW said the sound system there was not set up for this and the quality would be terrible. In the past the sound has not worked very well at all. There was some buffering of the video feed with everyone using bww WiFi and bandwidth. So to answer your question, no I did not hear Curtis calling the game. The camera operator even came off the penalty call after the play and turned to the net to bring attention to it.

Wilson is hurt and probably should not have been in the game. Let's put some guys in who are 100%.