• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MAAA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:00 AM

Hello everyone,

Trying to get some insight on what a invite to main camp really means,  if you were not drafted in phase II this year?

Emails state by invitation only and only one team stated final main camp, reason I am asking is that we are new to this and received 5 invitations from teams days after the draft. We are interested in attending but want to make sure it is not a money grab, get there to see 60 players not including the Vets from last season. If we were around the corner I would not be asking but to invest $2-3K for a 4 day event gives me heartburn.

Thx

#2 Canarse

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:19 AM

From my experience it depends. Did any of those teams talk to your son prior to the draft? If so, they probably have some level of interest. If they didn't they are probably looking at your son as someone to fill out camp. Could your son show up and impress? Sure, but the kids they drafted and have been in contact with will have a head start. Just my opinion. Others may vary.

#3 herbst20

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

1st off welcome to FYC. We are happy you found us!

Do your homework. By this I mean how many players are going to be at the camp. Some have up to 180, while others only have 80. Check the teams roster. How many players are returning at your son's position? What is your goal attending a camp? Is it hopes of making a USHL roster, or is it to garner attention for the upcoming NAHL draft. Many NAHL coaches attend USHL camps in hopes of finding a player who is the odd man out so to speak on USHL rosters. And finally, does the team have a history of having a free agent making the final roster?

#4 Yeti

Go Stars!

• Global Mod
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:54 AM

Welcome to FYC.  Herby and Canarse have both made some great points, especially about doing your homework.  For example, Lincoln has a lot of defensemen returning from last season, and another coming from Chicago in a trade.  So they might have only 1 defenseman spot open at their main camp.  Huge odds when you consider how many players attend these camps.

I've been following the Stars for a long time, and when I was running my blog, I would attend every camp.  "Free agents" have an uphill battle to make the team.  If I were to give an average, I'd probably say 1-2 players from each camp made the final roster as a free agent.  I would suspect most USHL teams are around that number as well.  But again, it depends on who is returning from the season before, and which players the team added via the two drafts.

So many of these teams that hold more than one camp during the summer are just looking at your son as way to make more money.  That's it.  However, at every Stars camp I've ever been to, there are tons of college, and junior scouts.  So even if he doesn't make the team he's trying out for, he may catch the eye of a scout from another team or college.  So in the end, you have to weigh the positives (exposure, chance at making the team) with the negatives (money grab).

Good luck.

#5 iowaninja

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:20 AM

Your age could be a factor too, some of these coaches might not have the room for a player right now but in the middle of the season they will remember your tryout or even next season.   

Cedar Rapids has one of the best track records of free agents making the team (but I haven't been in a couple years so that might have changed), but everyone is correct, it's all about doing homework.  

Best of luck 

#6 stiffstick

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:39 AM

Import, non-import, recommendation if so from whom, Tender, Forward or D, previous level of play, birth year?

#7 MAAA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:06 PM

Import, non-import, recommendation if so from whom, Tender, Forward or D, previous level of play, birth year?

Thx everyone for the input!

- import (Canada/Quebec)

- Born 2000 (17yrs old)

- Played last to years MAAA

- Drafted in the QJMHL last year (did not attend)

- Forward

- Received invites to 4 teams (Dubuque, Youngstown, Lincoln, Green Bay) 

* He decided late to try & pursue the US route, if he goes to the Q camp this year and remains for more than 48 hrs he loses his eligibility to play NCAA

#8 Maiden

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:59 PM

Thx everyone for the input!

- import (Canada/Quebec)

- Born 2000 (17yrs old)

- Played last to years MAAA

- Drafted in the QJMHL last year (did not attend)

- Forward

- Received invites to 4 teams (Dubuque, Youngstown, Lincoln, Green Bay) 

* He decided late to try & pursue the US route, if he goes to the Q camp this year and remains for more than 48 hrs he loses his eligibility to play NCAA

He can stay longer than 48 hours but you must pick up all costs once the 49th hour starts.

#9 turk181

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:RPI Mens Hockey......playing hockey.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:15 PM

1st off welcome to FYC. We are happy you found us!

Do your homework. By this I mean how many players are going to be at the camp. Some have up to 180, while others only have 80. Check the teams roster. How many players are returning at your son's position? What is your goal attending a camp? Is it hopes of making a USHL roster, or is it to garner attention for the upcoming NAHL draft. Many NAHL coaches attend USHL camps in hopes of finding a player who is the odd man out so to speak on USHL rosters. And finally, does the team have a history of having a free agent making the final roster?

Good point herby. A kid I know went to Tri-City’s camp several years ago (as an invite), didn’t make the cut but was seen by an NAHL rep & eventually went that route. 

Edited by turk181, 18 May 2017 - 01:17 PM.

#10 stiffstick

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:19 PM

I would look at the number of imports possibly returning on each USHL team where there was an invite and how much 1999s Canadian or US played last year on each team. Check with the NCAA Compliance Office on Secondary School Credit transfers from Quebec, some classes wont transfer so credits will have to be made up. Doesnt hurt to go to the Q camp for 48 as long as you keep all the receipts and depending upon the club, along with ignoring the pitch, it could be helpful unless it is a closed camp.
Dont forget there is no Province import rule for Tier II in Canada anymore which also leaves all the CJHL teams a possibility aside from the USHL which is a bargaining chip. Talk directly with the head coach not the assistant coach, the assistant coaches job is to fill camps, as well as ID and Recruit.

#11 BeenThere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:02 PM

Do your homework and then be prepared for all that to change. A main camp may not actually be a main camp, teams can start with 6 or 8 teams in their June/July camp and then have the equivalent of two rosters for their main camp which usually begins in late August. And there will be kids that you don't see in June / July they get invited to the August camp plus vets or "returners". Hockey USA and camp fees will run you about $500 Canadian, travel, hotel and food and you have a considerable investment given the current exchange rate. My kid was not drafted last year, talked to several teams, received a number of invites, choose one, paid our money and I watched him step onto the ice with 148 other kids.....lol.     

#12 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,285 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:33 PM

Hello everyone,

Trying to get some insight on what a invite to main camp really means,  if you were not drafted in phase II this year?

Emails state by invitation only and only one team stated final main camp, reason I am asking is that we are new to this and received 5 invitations from teams days after the draft. We are interested in attending but want to make sure it is not a money grab, get there to see 60 players not including the Vets from last season. If we were around the corner I would not be asking but to invest $2-3K for a 4 day event gives me heartburn.

Thx

Holy Smokes!!............... Hats off to the FYC members for helping this parent out.  Thank you.

Drafted into the Q?   No matter what round, and you don't have to disclose that, he must have some game.    .   What kind of interest has Junior A shown up in Canada and is that an option for your boy?  Lotta those kids get D1 scholarships. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#13 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,285 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:36 PM

Also have you attended the USHL Combine in Orland Park/New Lenox Illinois?   ..... Is a season in Junior A then a look at the USHL an option/idea? 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#14 MAAA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:12 PM

Also have you attended the USHL Combine in Orland Park/New Lenox Illinois?   ..... Is a season in Junior A then a look at the USHL an option/idea?

Yes he did attend the combine that took place in Orland Park in early May,. I was not expecting so many kids but that did not discourage my boy but coming in as a stranger did not help? He had an amazing time, great experience and made many new friends.

Junior A could be an option if he wants to keep his NCAA eligibility.

#15 casemagnum

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:35 PM

Also not mentioned is some teams will have players in their roster scooped up early by colleges or those that decided to leave for the OHL. So some strange things can happen after camps. Last year SC lost quite a few players to college, etc. they were not expecting to lose.

#16 LumberJacksfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

Along with doing your homework, I would recommend picking one USHL camp to attend based on your homework (team with the most need for your son's position and interest).   Opportunity to learn the level of competition and where he stacks up compared to that competion (and hopefully he can get some good, honest feedback on areas that he needs to develop to become a USHL player).  As you have read in previous posts, the odds of making a USHL team as a free agent (young free agent at that) are very low, it is not worth the investment in multiple camps as the teams runs these to not only identify the players for their team and affiliate roster but also to make money.  

#17 MAAA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:47 PM

I would like to thank everyone for there input, nice to see there are still good people out there.

I left my stats at the office but from the draft only 75 born 2000 born players were picked up in phase II and from the 75 only 10 were at the combine!

Maybe would have been better off if we would have attended the combine last year as a phase 1 prospect and shown interest in the US route. Looks like it all ends here for us, even if we wanted to attend any one of the camps we can not attend because of his final ministry exams at school.

#18 Canarse

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:50 AM

I would like to thank everyone for there input, nice to see there are still good people out there.

I left my stats at the office but from the draft only 75 born 2000 born players were picked up in phase II and from the 75 only 10 were at the combine!

Maybe would have been better off if we would have attended the combine last year as a phase 1 prospect and shown interest in the US route. Looks like it all ends here for us, even if we wanted to attend any one of the camps we can not attend because of his final ministry exams at school.

I hope you aren't saying the pursuit of the college route ends.  Not a ton of 17 year olds play a lot in the USHL.  The Phase II draft is generally for players they hope can play this year.  Might I suggest an advisor could be useful to guide you on the US route?  Choose carefully though.  

#19 minor life

Cup Winning Goalie

• Members
  • 2,451 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, hunting and fishing. Is there much else?

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:47 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding, I was a little busy this weekend.  The USHL combine is a long term event for our clients.  We go once for the exposure, we let them know we are interested just by going, and more often times than not players do not get drafted in the year they attend.  Our clients do not attend a second time if invited.  If they have continued to develop at a high level then a year after the league combine they usually get selected.

This isnt an instant gratification event for most players.  The best players dont attend the league combine because they already know who is interested long before the draft.  We knew which clients were getting picked back in March.

If you are an import invited to the league combine, there is some legitimate interest in you from someone.  If you dont go when invited, that interest fades fast unless you are a stud.

There is a difference between someone who plays hockey, and a Hockey Player. which one are you?