Chicago 5 @ Sioux City 1 (Game 2 Recap)

59 replies to this topic

#41 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:48 PM

12 minutes into the 2nd and IMO Stezka has yet to be tested............

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#42 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:53 PM

Muskies pushing, 5 minutes left in the 2nd. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#43 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

Muskies pushing, 5 minutes left in the 2nd. 

Off the draw in Steel zone, shot, save, Stezka on his rear, covers it up with his glove, whacked in, waived off.   Said whistle blew before the whack......

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#44 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:09 PM

2nd in the books, 3-0 Steel........ All SC the last 6 minutes of the 2nd.   Sets up nicely for a great 3rd period. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#45 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:17 PM

On the PP, Jaremko (most dangerous player on the ice so far), attacks the net, feeds Walker, puck bounces up, Kiv flopping, Walker bats it in.   Ref says no goal a high stick, think he's wrong, being reviewed. 

Looooong review.

Bad call, no goal............

Solid PP (goal waived off) with tons of zone time, movement and 3-4 shots killed by SC........10:00 into the 2nd.   SOG 14-13, Chicago and 7-2 in the 2nd.

Maybe 4 minutes into the 3rd and SOG 31-20, SC.    Musketeers are pushing. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#46 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:19 PM

My guy, Karashik!!  Let em know your there and to keep their head up and not on the puck.........

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#47 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:20 PM

Atta boy, Lilli.   Let em know your there..........

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#48 Ryan

Cup Winning Goalie

• Global Mod
  • 4,377 posts
  • Interests:Musketeers, Avalanche, and USHL hockey.

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:24 PM

You at the game, Flyin Ryan?

Nope, just listening at home.

Kivleneiks pulled for Todd Scott. Kivleneiks just not himself so far this series.

Looks like there will be at least a Game 4.

#49 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:29 PM

Musketeers a slash at the 8 minute or so mark.   .........Steel seem happy to make em go 200ft with the 3 goal lead.   Big PP and kill here.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#50 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:33 PM

Musketeers a slash at the 8 minute or so mark.   .........Steel seem happy to make em go 200ft with the 3 goal lead.   Big PP and kill here.

Steel move it around, Jaremko from the end line up to Mirageas, Jaremko slides up to the half wall, Mirageas sends it back to him, cuts from the right wall across to the left circle, shoots right with Walker screening Kiv in the crease, top shelf for a PP goal.   4-0. ..........Kivlenieks yanked.

Said it earlier, Jaremko has been the most dangerous player on the ice.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#51 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

Rasanen with a heavy hit on 125lb Lillibridge into the boards.   He's whistled for it........... Keep your heads up Steel D.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#52 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:53 PM

Lutz rocket blast from the point, save, Tralmaks parked at the edge of the crease, buries the rebound, PP goal.   5-zero, 11 minutes in...........Keep your heads up Steel Dmen. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#53 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:55 PM

Couple of roughs, Seyfert thought Ferrario tripped up O'neill (O'neill lost his footing), and roughed him up.  ..SC PP. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#54 Ryan

Cup Winning Goalie

• Global Mod
  • 4,377 posts
  • Interests:Musketeers, Avalanche, and USHL hockey.

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:56 PM

Rasanen with a goal for SC to give them a small positive. Didn't sound like Stezka was ever really tested. Great win for the Steel.

#55 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:58 PM

Tolvenen from the end line feeds Rasenen who nicely finds a soft spot in the high slot, sizzles a bottle knocker.   5-1. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#56 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

ktiv.com (with high def video)   Musketeers lose Game 2, series even at one each

ABC 9  (with high def video)   Chicago stomps Musketeers 5-1

Thank you Jerry Giese.   SC Journal   Chicago skates past Musketeers in Game 2

Steel Site   Stezka returns, kicks out 38 of 39, steal home ice on 3 power play goals in 5-1 win at Sioux City

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#57 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:16 AM

Rasanen with a goal for SC to give them a small positive. Didn't sound like Stezka was ever really tested. Great win for the Steel.

Final SOG were 39-27 Musketeers but that is deceiving.  As Varady said in one of the links posted Stezka was good but there wasn't much traffic in front of him and I'd add there were a lot of one and dones, not all but most.  Stezka was good and if there were rebounds the Steel were nicely positioned to clear the puck away. 

First 10 minutes the Muskies carried the play and possession helped by dominating at the dot but didn't get any real grade A's then momentum swung with the Walker goal half way into the period followed 44 seconds later the McManus goal.  As I posted SC responded nicely after the Walker goal right off the faceoff with their best and most dangerous sequence to that point but my guy Lewandowski down to a knee on the 3rd or 4th shot and the Steel do what they do transition on a dime and get the 2nd in a blink of an eye on a beauty feed cross crease from Jeremko to McManus. 

SC was on their heels from then on, 10 minutes in, until maybe 5-6 minutes left in the 2nd while the Steel extended to a 3-0 lead.  At 10:00 of the 2nd the Steel were up 14-13 SOG and 7-2 in the period.  From then up to the 4:00 mark of the 3rd the Muskies outshot em 18-7 and led total SOG 31-20..... So they did have their push, zone time and shots but again too many one and dones and not enough bodies to bother Stezka as Varady mentions. 

But SC got here with incredible snipers like Tolvenen who don't need much except a sliver of space and time no matter if the goalie sees it or not but the Steel have minimized time and space and the few times they haven't Stezka said no.  Again this is the playoffs so scoring ain't gonna come like the regular season in number and variety so more Pospisil, Baker, Knies or Miller type dirty goals are needed.

Kivlenieks.   I wish ANY SC fans would post so I could bet a better feel of Kiv as I haven't seen enough of him to say anything with certainty, but as you mention Flyin he hasn't been on his game.   No doubt IMO cuz from what I saw this guy is a smooth operator able to slide around in balance and be square, and many times he's anchored and late side to side or off balance when doing so (especially Game 1), has to be 2 or 3 5 hole goals. 

But look at what the Steel did to Kulbakov?   They lit him up a few games and this kid is a player.   Any fan who's seen these two games can see the Steel are always looking for an extra pass and when that is clicking from defensive breakdowns, missed assignments, odd man breaks or just beauty hockey they can make any goalie look bad or "off".  And when it doesn't it has a Steel fan saying "shoot" as another pass is picked, deflected or bumbled.   Through two games the Steel have clicked and Kiv and SC has been made to pay if he's anchored in any way or over plays a puck.

How many goals do the Steel have into basically open nets?  You can't expect any goalie to make many of those saves, cross ice feeds that go tape to tape.   IMO, and it's hard to tell not being there, SC is shifting too hard to the puck and leaving too many, or just enough, options for the puck carrier to find an open man and that has resulted in wide open chances.  ...  SC needs more structure in their zone as Kiv has not been able to bail them out when they haven't. 

I said this early in the year when the Steel were rolling after watching this franchise for 10 years, that I can see the money.  This franchise is on the same page from the top down and acquired high IQ guys who are mobile, especially on the back end, and are coached up and prepared.  The crispness in which they enter and exit zones, the way all 5 players transition on a dime, the way they enter in waves with support generally being there, the way a puck carrier has options.   Never saw that from a Steel club and those are hard things to master at this level and harder to defend.

I go back to before they were over taken for the league points lead.  I posted at that time they were 2nd or 3rd in scoring and had ONE player in the top 20 in scoring!!   Add they were 2nd or 3rd in goals allowed and that tells you much.   This team was constructed with a plan and coached up to execute that plan and they are a matchup problem for an opponent.  ....... This group is an eyelash away from coming home up 2-0 with an EBUG getting them to OT in a Game 1 loss and with 5 Dmen playing all the minutes against the Anderson Cup champs at their building.  I'd also add, whether the Steel win this thing or not, this shows how good Ytown was in losing in 5 to the Steel. 

No way is this thing over by any stretch.   What really impressed me this year from the SC allstar talented team was not as much their skill and scoring but that they were #1 in this league in goals allowed which gave them the very best goal differential, followed by the Steel, two back IIRC.  This tells me, especially from a team with video game skill, that they have bought in and are very well coached. Not easy to do with a group of high flyers.    They didn't get stupid all of a sudden and Varady will make adjustments with 5 days to prepare. 

With that in mind IMO Game 3 will be an absolute beauty.   A hungry SC club that has made adjustments in a couple must win games.  A team that had the very best goals allowed in the regular season that has allowed 9 in two games to start the series vs a Steel team that has all the momentum and confidence. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#58 hockeyboy

Cup Winning Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:34 AM

Sioux city's goaltending the last 3 games has been like nothing we have seen all year. If we don't get back to our capabilities in that spot it's going to be an uphill battle.

#59 DayMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:14 PM

Kivlenieks has been off his game this round. This past game he was scrambling/ rolling around on the ground more than I've ever seen.

Drop passes from Chicago seemed to take the muskies by surprise every time.

Tolvanen has been very quiet as of late.

Johnstone is EVERYWHERE on the ice. Making offensive and defensive plays. Getting under the muskies skin. Running his mouth. I like that kid.

Muskies just seemed tired and almost disinterested. They can be so dangerous at times and then flat footed at others.

Chicago is obviously a damn good team. The Muskies are also good but it is so frustrating how streaky they are. Sometimes they dominate and sometimes they barely show up. No matter who they play this has seemed to be the case. It depends which muskies team shows up.

I still remain optimistic and hope for the Muskies to win in 5.

#60 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 37,133 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:23 PM

Kivlenieks has been off his game this round. This past game he was scrambling/ rolling around on the ground more than I've ever seen.

Drop passes from Chicago seemed to take the muskies by surprise every time.

Tolvanen has been very quiet as of late.

Johnstone is EVERYWHERE on the ice. Making offensive and defensive plays. Getting under the muskies skin. Running his mouth. I like that kid.

Muskies just seemed tired and almost disinterested. They can be so dangerous at times and then flat footed at others.

Chicago is obviously a damn good team. The Muskies are also good but it is so frustrating how streaky they are. Sometimes they dominate and sometimes they barely show up. No matter who they play this has seemed to be the case. It depends which muskies team shows up.

I still remain optimistic and hope for the Muskies to win in 5.

Welcome Day, glad to have you here and great to see some Muskie fans post. 

I thought Kiv was definitely off in Game 1.   Who knows why but I figured nerves being it game 1 of a Finals but thought at the same time this is a 96.  ...... I realize the job of a goalie is to stop pucks but for me it's the process of doing so, how he stops the puck, and makes me off on some goalies (Crawford-Lundqvist-Hasek-Stezka? to name a few).   I need my guy to display the 3 legged stool and that is supreme skating, which allows balance which allows him to be square.   Can't have one without the other and can't have consistency without the whole package. 

The first goal Walker bats it out of the air, although he allowed a rebound back to Walker.

2nd goal Jaremko flies around the net and Kiv goes down in a percentage goalie position meaning he'll go down and cover 95% of the net due to the tough angle Jaremko was at and challenge him to hit the 5% not covered but instead he feeds McManus on a cross crease pass and a beauty one timer.   If a goalie is able to slide over to make that save he would have to dive and get lucky to stop it.  An SC player needs to help stop that cross ice pass or fill the lane  ..... Notice by the way how McManus feels that play as Jaremko starts around the net McManus ever so easily slides back away from traffic/bodies to give Jaremko a lane to pass through and that was before he even made it around the net.  High IQ  by McManus and nice finish. 

3rd goal, Steel on a PP.  Nice puck movement that ends on Lewandowski's stick in the high slot unmarked.   Kiv, and everyone else thinks shot, but Lew nicely slides it to McManus at the low left circle for a one timer.   Kiv gets over but I don't think McManus got all of that shot and it ended up a change up that squirts through Kiv's legs. 

The no goal that followed Kiv indeed was off balance and lunging/flopping. 

4th goal on the PP.  Jaremko, guy has been dangerous this whole series, skates from the right wall to the high slot and shoots left with a nice screen provided by Walker with his rear in Kiv's face.   Kiv didn't see it until the last nanosecond through a screen on a whistling shot top shelf from a high danger area.

That ended his night.   This goes back to my too long dissertation about the process of stopping the puck and the optics that follow.   I have to believe Varady and whomever deals with the goalies saw what I did that Kiv had little to no chance on all but the one that snuck through his legs and I think that one was a change up....... IMO most of the goals Kiv gave up in Game 2 he had little chance on but his process has been very un-Kivlenieks like (optics).  He's a smooth calm customer in the Holtby mold and when I saw him deliberately trip the Steel player in plain view, after he took some contact, it showed frustration that I haven't seen from him and I think that play got Varady to thinking of possibly yanking him if it got worse and that was in the 2nd period with the score 3-0. 

This guy is the best in the league and there is a reason for that.  His foundation is very solid but right now the game is in his head.  A lot happening to him he has little control over but you don't accumulate the year he has without battling through adversity a few times.  This is no different in my mind.

You mention the Steel drop passes and SC at times flat footed.  Think back to the WTL series and how most every time Loo went east-west once they entered the zone a Muskie backchecker would break that up.  In PK's defense I noticed Loo adjust and start dumping if they couldn't skate it straight in instead of passing/skating east-west on entry and it turned Game 5 into a scare for a bit as the Hawks did well with puck retrieval.

You haven't seen that much from the Muskie backcheckers.  The Steel love the transition game and turn on a dime as a 5 man unit on turnovers and push, push, push.  Unless the opponents forwards hustle back the Steel often times get an odd man break, have support for a drop pass or have a second wave coming.  Also if the opponent is too aggressive in the Ozone and don't keep a 3rd man high they are susceptible to the things I mentioned. 

This is what a goof like I see and with 5 days to view film and adjust Varady will do just that and as you mention show his team the need for 60 minutes of effort and consistency.   No way this thing is over and I can guarantee the Steel don't think it is, they know better.   I would add IMO the Steel have been the calmer more structured group.  Really I may have been more impressed with their Game 1 loss.   Knowing they had an EBUG in goal for a Finals Game 1 on the road the Steel stayed exactly in their system, didn't panic, change or try and do too much.  That is a prepared group that has bought in. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users