Photo
- - - - -

Chicago 4 @ Sioux City 5 OT 5/12 (Friday Game 1 Recap))

56 replies to this topic

#41 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:44 PM

OT................... Steel going with 5 Dmen tonight and for the 3rd round in a row. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#42 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:50 PM

Ladd stones Pops on the doorstep.........

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock
RIP Huckleberry. 1995-2009.... Thanks for 14 unforgettable years Huck. You will forever be loved and missed.

#43 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:53 PM

Less than 2 minutes in Shore off for a high stick.............

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#44 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:54 PM

Less than 2 minutes in Shore off for a high stick.............

Make that a 4 minute job.  :eeek:

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#45 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:56 PM

SC with the OT PP winner................

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#46 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:52 AM

Where are you this morning Jerry Giese?!?!?!

SC Journal/Staff (no Giess???)  Knies scores in OT, Musketeers lead Finals 1-0

kitv.com (with HIGH DEF video, didn't realize the impossible angle Knies scored the OT winner from, of every goal and some analysis)   Musketeers beat Chicago in opener of Clark Cup Finals on OT power play

Steel Site  Shorthanded Steel push Anderson Cup champs to OT before falling 5-4

USHL Site   Game 1 recap

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#47 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:45 AM

Still buzzin over this thing......   100 back stories the biggest being the Steel forced to go with an EBUG.   Well technically maybe Ladd is an EBUG but he was a USHL 4th round pick a couple years back and is committed to Colorado College, so it's not like the local Midget Minor goalie was forced in.   Ladd struggled in the 1st, especially with rebound control, as is perfectly expected but after the 1st he was excellent, as good as Kivlenieks, who had an off night (nerves?).  ...  So anyone thinking this was a cheap win for SC would be very wrong.   Ladd was as good as any fan could hope for, great showing for the kid under the biggest spotlight the USHL has.

Then lets dispel the idea of the refs giving SC a PP in OT.  No way they couldn't call this.   As I could see it the play was in the SC zone near the slot and Shore was nicely fighting for position and while getting untangled his stick came up a clipped a player drawing blood.  No diving on the play, like I notice 265lb Popsisil likes to do from watching soccer all his life, just a hockey play that a ref can't let go..   Just a hockey play and some bad luck for the Chicago side. 

In fact from what I saw SC had the worse of the calls/non calls up until inside 5 minutes left of the 3rd when with the Steel up a goal an obvious interference behind the SC net that allowed an exit evened the ref calls up IMO.   So no ref whining. 

I think both teams feel they can win this thing after last night's game.  Kivlenieks stopped 875 of the last 876 shots he faced winning 27 USHL awards this year and was off and leaky but chances are near 100% we saw his worst possible game.

SC was disjointed for much of the game, especially early.  Don't know if they had a hangover from the Game 5 win 3 days earlier, or nerves, but they were not crisp for long stretches and IMO were not structured in their own zone and neutral often enough.   Lotta Steel players allowed to prance around the slot and come through the neutral zone with speed.   .... I'm sure the Steel had a lot to do with the poor SC play but still I think we saw SC's worst game, we'll see on that account.

So if I'm an SC fan I get a win with my side not playing their best.

If I'm a Steel fan I'm as happy as one could be after a loss.  Firstly my coach didn't panic with a green goalie forced in and IMO that calm approach trickled down to the players.  No change in tactics and no slowing the game down.  The fellas were allowed to play Steel hockey and quite frankly had the better of the play, were crisp right from opening puck drop, were more structured, executed better, fought back from deficits, scored a shorty, got a goal from their 13th forward, had answers for the top goalie in the league and played with 5 Dmen.  ..... I think my side honestly believes they are the better team. 

As I watched this game play out I thought Muse is a goner.   Unless there is a total collapse from the Steel Muse showed just how good a coach he is with his team outplaying the Anderson Cup champs with 5 Dmen and an EBUG goalie.  Great preparation by Muse and execution by his kids under the worst possible circumstances. 

So we got a series and a good one with both sides rightly feeling they will win. 

Who the hell is Brian Rigali (2 goals), Baker Shore, Keegan Montaro, Jordan Seyfert, Jason O'neill, Micah Miller (best SC player on this night)?   Bottom 6 guys and 13th forwards who came up huge for their conference championship squads.  9 goals and only 3 from top 6 guys.   That's great hockey from very good players who don't get prime ice time the top 6 guys get and they answered the bell, gave their teams a chance to win and were the difference.

Great way to start a Finals series...........

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#48 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:53 AM

Hey Flyin Ryan is that you with the hockey helmet, beard and waving a Musketeer flag?    And are you bringing your gear to Chicago?

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#49 Bigfoot

Agitator in training

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:47 AM

I made the 75 mile trek from Sioux Falls to the TEC last evening (mainly as chauffer for some others) to see this game.  It didn't take long to realize it was fairly obvious WHY these two teams were playing for the Clark Cup.

There are some things I know about hockey, some things I don't know, and some things I suspect, and one thing I suspect is I doubt if any other team in the USHL could have won a game against either team on the ice last nite.

It was one heck of a game.

Congratulations to both organizations.

#50 Zugisland

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:49 AM

What happened to the steel Goalie who has carried them thru the playoffs..did he get hurt in the Dubuque series

#51 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:14 AM

I made the 75 mile trek from Sioux Falls to the TEC last evening (mainly as chauffer for some others) to see this game.  It didn't take long to realize it was fairly obvious WHY these two teams were playing for the Clark Cup.

There are some things I know about hockey, some things I don't know, and some things I suspect, and one thing I suspect is I doubt if any other team in the USHL could have won a game against either team on the ice last nite.

It was one heck of a game.

Congratulations to both organizations.

Good post and glad you got to see the game.   Good game, and hopefully series, for the fans and league. 

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#52 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

What happened to the steel Goalie who has carried them thru the playoffs..did he get hurt in the Dubuque series

There is a possibility goalie Stezka and Dman Kachyna signed contracts with the pro league KHL in Russia.   Until it's determined they did or didn't both players are being held out cuz if they have signed a pro contract they are ineligible and I'd assume the Steel would forfeit any games they played in.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

#53 Ryan

Cup Winning Goalie

• Global Mod
  • 4,363 posts
  • Interests:Musketeers, Avalanche, and USHL hockey.

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:32 AM

Hey Flyin Ryan is that you with the hockey helmet, beard and waving a Musketeer flag?    And are you bringing your gear to Chicago?

Wasn't at the game, so no, not me.

I'll be wearing my jersey for the game we go to in Chicago.

#54 DM47

Cup Winning Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:29 PM

Stezka to return tonight.

Check out @ChicagoSteel's Tweet: https://twitter.com/...7825512448?s=09

#55 Bevalaqua

Checking Forward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:32 PM

56m
Replying to @ChicagoSteel

UPDATE: Goaltender Ales Stezka will be returning to the Steel lineup for tonight's game in Sioux City.

https://twitter.com/...447387825512448

#56 casemagnum

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:54 PM

It is Bob and I won't say his last name here. He is passionate and is a young fan favorite here in SC and takes a lot of pictures with them, for them.

#57 Mr Ricochet

Cup Winning Goalie

• Admin
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:11 AM

It is Bob and I won't say his last name here. He is passionate and is a young fan favorite here in SC and takes a lot of pictures with them, for them.

Most every arena has a Bob or two in every sport and that's a good thing.  Add some ambiance and flavor to the place.

Crush Em Steel
Blackhawks Rock

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users